ATX Community

ATX 2013 system requirements

rfassett

I have been using dual monitors for five years or so. Don't think I could live without it. In fact, I am going to see if my new system will support them three or four monitors. When doing tax returns I have one monitor witht the tax software and one with the file cabinet with last year's tax return and workpapers. The write up program and outlook are usually open also. And then excel and quickbooks and, and, and..............

OK geeks, what is the most number of monitors that I can have on one workstation?

Guest Taxed

I guess i got to give it a try!

I have the previous year's return (preparer's copy) as a PDF minimized. If I need to refer to someting i just maximize it.

The typical question from a client is what did i do last year for some line item?

I went to three monitors last year and will never go back. I do not do the return with the client sitting in my office, I only take information at the client interview.

My left hand monitor has all my administrative stuff on it: Time & Chaos, Time & Billing, File in time, etc.

The middle monitor has the application software: ATX, QB, etc

Right hand monitor has the workpapers, client documents, spreadsheets, etc.

I do use the right hand monitor at times to swing it around so that I can review a projection or calculation with a client. So I am thinking that the 4th monitor will be on the wall so that client can look at it and we can discuss a tax projection or financial calculation together.

I don't need bigger monitors, I need MORE monitors!

i do not meet with clients at my desk or in my office very often. Most all of our meetings take place in the conference room and there is a workstation in there with a single monitor which is what I use if I need to discuss anything on the computer with the client.

I have a TI calculator from 1995 sitting on my desk. The last time I replaced the ink roller it must have been some generic thing so the machine doesn't print numbers clearly any more. I hardly ever need to use it, and I never need a tape of numbers any more. I'm cheap. I'm not replacing it.

I have my left monitor landscape with this board and email right now, but also have Chrome tabs open for news, mail from my two bookkeeping clients, Facebook, and Twitter, and have an Excel spreadsheet minimized; often have QB open or minimized. When actively working on a return, the left screen might have client documents that were scanned or client email open or a client Excel spreadsheet or client QB or any combination of client data. On the middle portrait screen is the current tax prep; and on the right portrait screen is the government forms of tax prep now that ProSystem fx has a dual screen option. Portrait for tax prep so I don't have to scroll down to view a full page. I usually have the prior year .pdf minimized and available to pop up on the left or right screens, or on the middle if I'm comparing prior with current government view, or even the prior year program if I'm searching for how I entered something in the past. All three (24" Dells that were on sale a year or two ago) pivot between portrait and landscape and all swivel, so I can turn a screen to a client (but I seldom prepare with a client sitting here, maybe review on screen when they come in to finalize).

I was told to use an odd number of monitors with the center one for current data entry. A colleague has six, three over three.

Before ProSystem fx had dual screen mode, 2010 and earlier, I had prior year on the left portrait, current year on middle portrait, and right landscape with all the other things I want open.

I have been using dual monitors for five years or so. Don't think I could live without it. In fact, I am going to see if my new system will support them three or four monitors. When doing tax returns I have one monitor witht the tax software and one with the file cabinet with last year's tax return and workpapers. The write up program and outlook are usually open also. And then excel and quickbooks and, and, and..............

OK geeks, what is the most number of monitors that I can have on one workstation?

If your motherboard has enough slots for the video cards, I think the limit for WIN 7 is 16 different monitors. Some video cards will support as many as 4 different monitors.

BTW, michaelmars has figured out how to always be up to speed on hardware and technology.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

Do client's ever question what the heck is all this?

In the 90s I used to have an Epson Fx dot matrix printer (this is when HP laserjet was $3400) and people just got used to that dot matrix noise. Then when I got my first inkjet printer (Lexmark), some clients commented I guess you will be going up on price!

Very perceptive client's are with the gizmos you have??

http://www.cchgroup.com/opencms/opencms/web/TAA/Microsites/Partners/files/Partners_CCH_SP11.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom right to click on Spring 2011 and then go to pages 6 and 7.

I sometimes have my laptop open, too. My techie put a Share folder for things I want available on both my laptop and desktop, the files I work on at a clients on my laptop but then like to open the Excel spreadsheets on my 24" desktop monitor.

How do I put in a picture?

Click on "More Reply Options" (instead of "Post). Then you'll see some info on the left side for handling attachments. You will need to know where the attachment is stored on our computer before beginning. A little trial and error will be necessary to get up to speed on how to do it.

Guest Taxed

Nice writeup Lion. Very impressive.

I am in a different market segment. I have may be a handful of high net worth clients (AGI > 150K). Most of my clients are <100K and a whole bunch are retirees.

So, I switched the landscape monitor to my left as I got farther into tax season 2011. And, my office was clean that day for the photo shoot. In fact, the photographer and his assistant styled my office, but not me! It's never looked this good since.

• Like 1

I bought another monitor but never got my desk clean enough to set it up yet. Lion inspired me to have the third in portrait; just makes sense! Btw, Dell is having a nice sale on win 7 systems. I'm looking to get my assistant off my old circa 2005 Dell laptop. I'm leaning towards an Inspiron 17R laptop with an I5 processor & 6GB Ram for $599. The screaming deal desktop is an i7 with 8GB Ram for $699. There's even a coupon for another $25 off and free shipping.

• Like 2

I still have my 2 HP11Cs from college. I was so upset when I lost the 1st one that I spent the money to buy a 2nd one. Found the first one several years later when we moved -- it fell out of the bottom of the sofa. I've even paid $2-3 for an HP12C app for my iPhone. (I very rarely pay for any apps.)

Once you get used to RPN, it is VERY difficult to go back to a "regular" calculator.