ATX Community

ATX 2013 system requirements

rfassett

I still have my 2 HP11Cs from college. I was so upset when I lost the 1st one that I spent the money to buy a 2nd one. Found the first one several years later when we moved -- it fell out of the bottom of the sofa. I've even paid $2-3 for an HP12C app for my iPhone. (I very rarely pay for any apps.)

Once you get used to RPN, it is VERY difficult to go back to a "regular" calculator.

LOL - I was not familiar with the HP11C so I googled it and the first hit was "The Museum of HP Calculators".

For those that use an HP calculator, do you use it as an adding machine? I think it's great to add two or three number but to add a column of numbers it fails, unless it in your schedule to spend a whole day adding numbers on your HP calc. I have the app and carry one in my bag, it only comes out when I need to do a quick amortization.

Guest Taxed

My adding machine with the paper is in my attic collecting dust!

HP 12C still works for the few times you have to add or subtract something. But most of the time I am using the built in financial and stat calculations.

Once you get used to RPN it i sdifficult to switch, BUT can be done with willpower!

I plugged my old HP laser printer, a 2420d, into my Win 7 computer and it works just fine. No download of drivers needed. I think the printer is about 6 or 7 years old now, still working well.

It was only in the very beginning that you had to download the new driver. Now, all (4) of my HP printers are working well with Win 7

• Like 1

I carry my hp 12C with me when I go to a client's for a quick calculation (love the flexibility of RPN and being able to hold numbers in the calculator's memory instead of mine) and for financial calculations, and it sits on my desk for that quick calc while on a phone call. I do have a paper tape adding machine, was my father-in-law's, that gets plugged in for audit prep to run the tapes and attach them to stacks of receipts, and my very part-time assistant prefers to use it when I have her totaling a client's "shoebox." (One of my shoebox clients is the one I lost this year, detailed in another thread, so I think I'm down to only one shoebox client after getting the others to bring me organized totals after some training on my part and showing them how much they'd save in bookkeeping charges.)

My office looked that way for ONLY ONE DAY, because the professional NY photographer and his assistant styled it, moving furniture, bringing in the kids' pictures from the living room, lighting it attractively, etc. Of course, I was up all the night before cleaning and organizing bookshelves, etc. Just like all of you I'm sure, I have stacks all over my desk and floor and every surface. I have a client coming this afternoon to pick up so will move all my desk stacks to the floor or the bed in the guest room (home office) and make sure no client information is showing. I might even dust !! I haven't vacuumed in a while as I have too many papers on the floor. The writer is also a pro from CA maybe, did all the interviewing via phone and email. Loved them all.

PS There are some videos out there and audios that came from a preliminary interview by a CCH marketing guy. Don't know if you can link to any of them from the magazine article. If you do see a video, notice my desk, as I had not yet received all my new monitors nor taken off the hutch to give me more desk space. In fact, the last connection for the third monitor arrived the evening before the magazine shoot, so I'd been using only two monitors and hadn't worked out my current configuration.

Found one: https://www.brainshark.com/cch/vu?pi=zHSzkeeTjz2PNBz0&text=cchgroup

Now I remember why I put a conference room in my building when I built it. These things kind of fade with time. It was that constant suffling of stuff off and onto my desk. I became much more productive when I stopped doing that. I still have a couple of clients that think there are no boundaries and have no problem walking through the front door and directly to and into my office. I meet and greet them before they get to my desk though. And they both pay very well and come see me at least 8 to 10 times per year.

Guest Taxed

I saw on TV a scanner application that will take all those pesky receipts and add them for you? Has anyone tried that?

If it works it would not be a bad idea to get that for those "shoebox" client returns??

I saw on TV a scanner application that will take all those pesky receipts and add them for you? Has anyone tried that?

If it works it would not be a bad idea to get that for those "shoebox" client returns??

The software is "iffy" as far as dependability of translation and calculation integrity. If it reads an 8 as 0, you can see the problems. Love scanners for storing documents, but draw the line at software that translates and calculates.

I still love my adding machines. With tapes. I add up checks to make my deposits and attach the tape to my deposit receipt, notated with the client that paid. My memory sucks so I can refer to the tape when adding up stuff for the return just so I can check if I missed something. I did start using the itemized list function in ATX, so I don't add as much, but I still love my tapes.

• Like 2

http://www.judysapps.com/TenKey.htm

Judy's TenKey is a Windows calculator used by millions of people in over 45 countries. It has almost every feature imaginable, costs only $19.95, is easy to use, and won the Ziff Davis award for Desktop Accessory of the Year. I truly think it's worth every penny.

Edit the tape and watch it "auto-magically" recalculate!

Enjoy multi-level undo, sounds, auto-numlock, and more!

You use a calculator every day ... why not use the best?

Try it free!

You can use Judy's TenKey like an accountant's 10-key adding machine, a standard calculator, or an RPN scientific calculator (see calculator syntax).

If you've learned to "touch-type" on a tenkey, you'll love the optional tenkey adding machine mode, since the order you press the keys is different (e.g., 10+ 9- instead of 10-9). This is one reason so many accounting firms around the world have standardized on Judy's TenKey.

hrule.gif

This gives you the best of computer calculator and tapes, because you can label and save the tapes to the client's folder. Or print them out if you need them for any reason, whether that is an audit or for the client. And since they are saved as pdf, it's easy to send them to the client, if he has a question, etc. I have used this program for at least 10 years, and love it.

Did I mention that you can configure the calculator to suit just how you want it to look?

pretty soon, yall are gonna change this thread to talking about how you use your abacus...

the bottom line is the following:

1. we don't want to buy new hardware every 2 years.

2. this is tax prep, not rocket science.

3. businesses need to learn to serve their customers, not the other way around.

i opened a tax return on ATX - 1.4 Gigs RAM in use

same return on drake 14 megs RAM in use

100 times the resources!!!

no wonder ATX takes 50-100 times longer...

rediculous...

pretty soon, yall are gonna change this thread to talking about how you use your abacus...

the bottom line is the following:

1. we don't want to buy new hardware every 2 years.

2. this is tax prep, not rocket science.

3. businesses need to learn to serve their customers, not the other way around.

i opened a tax return on ATX - 1.4 Gigs RAM in use

same return on drake 14 megs RAM in use

100 times the resources!!!

no wonder ATX takes 50-100 times longer...

rediculous...

Head in the sand.

Destined to change careers in the next 5 years or less.