ATX Community

Polls - what software will you use in 2014, what most influenced your decision

jklcpa

What software will you use in 2014 and what most influenced your decision  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which tax software will you most likely use in 2014?

• ATX
    • Drake
    • Lacerte
    • Pro Series
    • ProSystem Fx
    • Tax Act
    • Taxwise
    • Ultra Tax
    • TaxSlayer Pro
    • OLT Pro
    • CrossLink
    • Other
  2. 2. Excluding problems with previous software, which factor most influenced your choice of software for 2014?

• Number of forms available
    • Integrated research or discounted price on reference materials
    • Technical support
    • Price
    • Ability to import data
    • Method of input (forms based vs database)
    • Ease of use
    • Flexibility of program, ability to override data, add worksheets, etc
    • Staying with same vendor as in 2013 either for continuity or because of satisfaction with the product
    • Other
    • Speed
  3. 3. Which tax software are you dropping?

• ATX
    • Drake
    • Lacerte
    • Pro Series
    • ProSystem Fx
    • Tax Act
    • Taxwise
    • Ultra Tax
    • TaxSlayer Pro
    • OLT Pro
    • CrossLink
    • Other
    • I'm staying with same software as in 2013

Ok, someone asked for this poll and it might be too early for this, but here it is anyway. I purposely didn't include "undecided" as a response to question #1, so simply choose the one you think you will most likely use or are most seriously considering at this point in time.

Guest Taxed

Can you add another question, which software you are dropping? That will give us an idea which software is least preferred.

Also there are other software such as TaxSlayer Pro, OLTPro, CrossLink that some may be using. Is it possible to add that.

I checked the most likely of the available choices as my reason for using Drake, but if "speed" had been available, I would have clicked that one instead. And of course, Drake's integrity would have been at the top of my list as well.

• Like 1

It is too early for me to give an answer on the poll. I plan to beta test ATX this summer and that will influence my decision as to staying with them for another year. If I choose to leave ATX, then I will go directly to Drake. For all the reasons that JohnH details above, and because they are a family-owned American business.

JohnH, I added "speed" as one of the choices.

Maribeth, I realize it is very early in the game for this poll but someone asked for it, and it might be interesting to see which way people are leaning anyway. I also realize that many of our forum users are not active except during the busy season.

Guest Taxed

Someone who has access to the official ATX blog may want to post our results in a month or so. I am sure there are folks on that blog who may be interested in our findings.

I believe Drake is fast because of the programming language (powerbasic) and the less complexity of its coding. I tested it on an old laptop with just 512M memory and it still was quite fast! I like the fact that the updates are super fast compared to Taxwise as an example

Thank you jklcpa for doing all the work and get this going.

I am choosing Ultra tax, due to the high reviews, integration, and reputation of the provider. It is a huge investment, but after all the demos it appears it will save me a lot of time with the integration. Payroll to tax, and Business to personal taxes, importing of data between programs. They have had all the right answers. I am sad to move on, but my program is still giving me trouble with the latest update and I HAVE HAD IT, plus Ultratax is giving me the 2012 with the purchase of 2013 and that is a huge plus ...bye bye atx

Guest Taxed

I seem to remember vaguely from a Drake talk somewhere that when he first got into this business he almost went belly up and was collecting welfare to feed his kids! He has certainly come a long way. Now he owns most of Franklin.

I know his website used to say that he runs his company on Christian principles. I don't care about his personal politics as long as he continues to deliver quality tax prep software at a reasonable price!

But Joanmcq i do respect your right to withold your business based on your beliefs. That is what makes America so great!

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

You got that right sister. When they need the help none of them will send that check back to the bad Govt. Remember those tebaggers collecting social security checks and complaining about the big Govt. programs. When the reporter asked why they are collecting social security, all of a sudden no answer some even got pissed that such a question should be asked of them.

I can only hope that what should have been a simple poll is not going to be another thread that devolves into a political rants. There should have been no need for any commentary, and I thought I included enough choices to allow most of our forum's users to select appropriate answers. I do respect that each and every one of you has the right to express your views, whichever side of the aisle you agree with, but this shouldn't be happening across so many threads in the forums. Could we please try to stick to the topics of the original threads?

Many of the threads are being derailed with this type of commentary or pointed questions that lead the conversations off topic or into debates on politics. The above 4 posts add nothing except to incite political banter, which all but a few are participating in, and it is really getting tiresome. That is the reason why we have "N/T" in the title of threads that aren't tax related, so that those of us who try to stay out of the political discussions can do so, but that is getting very difficult.

Thanks, after the first thread that I chose to look at on here, now I'm in a really bad mood! /rant :mad:

• Like 4

I'm inclined to agree with Judy.

This is getting ridiculous. Injecting political debate and passive aggressive barbs into every possible conversation is really starting to take its toll on the atmosphere of this community.

• Like 4

Taxed - you do know it is possible to delete/modify your posts don't you?

On several occasions I've decided in retrospect that I stepped over a line with something I posted, and I found it easy to either delete or modify the offending info. It's right there in the lower-right corner of the post.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

Taxed - you do know it is possible to delete/modify your posts don't you?

On several occasions I've decided in retrospect that I stepped over a line with something I posted, and I found it easy to either delete or modify the offending info. It's right there in the lower-right corner of the post.

I don't see it, I just see the quote and multi quote buttons??

Guest Taxed

In others' posts you should see quote and multi quote. In your own posts that have been already posted, you should see these choices: report, edit, delete, multiquote, and quote. No?

I see it now it is so faded I can hardly read??

I would vote if it would allow me to select more than one tax software program. I planned to renew with ATX with the expectation that it will improve over time. AND I also plan to renew the Ultra Tax that I purchased late February when I got so paranoid about ATX. Ultra Tax gave me a decent price with a 3-year lock. I do not have to renew Ultra Tax until November 2013.

• Like 2