ATX Community

Polls - what software will you use in 2014, what most influenced your decision

jklcpa

What software will you use in 2014 and what most influenced your decision  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which tax software will you most likely use in 2014?

• ATX
    • Drake
    • Lacerte
    • Pro Series
    • ProSystem Fx
    • Tax Act
    • Taxwise
    • Ultra Tax
    • TaxSlayer Pro
    • OLT Pro
    • CrossLink
    • Other
  2. 2. Excluding problems with previous software, which factor most influenced your choice of software for 2014?

• Number of forms available
    • Integrated research or discounted price on reference materials
    • Technical support
    • Price
    • Ability to import data
    • Method of input (forms based vs database)
    • Ease of use
    • Flexibility of program, ability to override data, add worksheets, etc
    • Staying with same vendor as in 2013 either for continuity or because of satisfaction with the product
    • Other
    • Speed
  3. 3. Which tax software are you dropping?

• ATX
    • Drake
    • Lacerte
    • Pro Series
    • ProSystem Fx
    • Tax Act
    • Taxwise
    • Ultra Tax
    • TaxSlayer Pro
    • OLT Pro
    • CrossLink
    • Other
    • I'm staying with same software as in 2013

Guest Taxed

Looks like you are not quite ready to divorce ATX hoping things will get better and also not quite enamoured with Ultra Tax to make a permanent move. Just like in personal relationships!

Guest Taxed

I think that is a very prudent way to proceed if you have not had major issues with the latest 2012 version. Learning a new software and converting client files is a real headache. I have been through it this year when I lost Taxworks. Now I got to do it all over again switched to Drake!

I hope ATX programmers figure out a way to deliver a reliable 2013 version with extensive testing from real users like you guys prior to Jan 2014!

Guest Taxed

You will most likely not know until late this year after beta testing is completed if the networking issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Are you going to pick a backup software just in case or would you go 2 standalone computers?

If you go 2 standalone computers there is a little gizmo called Wormhole switch USB transfer cable. You run it between two standalone computers and you can transfer files, use the mouse and keyboard from the other, run applications, print. It is neat. I use it between my laptop and desktop and it works just fine with my applications.

You can buy that from Tigerdirect.com for like $20!

Now, that might be worth looking in to. I don't like the name of the device, though. Will run it past my IT buddy. He's really fond of some really useful websites called "FileHippo", FileHorse, and "Dogpile". He has them resident in "My Favorites"!

My main computer has a link on my desktop to access my clerical person's computer. She has a link on hers that accesses just one folder on mine to scan and save client data but no access to anything else. The guy who built my computers did that. I also have a link to the simple computer that answers my fax line. All incoming faxes are saved as pdf. I can then transfer to my client files or print or delete the junk faxes.

I am curious about this Wormhole switch, though, for a handful of things on my laptop which is not used for my cpa business. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am on the fence with some of the software companies. I am beta testing TaxSlayer Pro and so far, I don't see the changes that I would like to. But, it is early. Also, I signed up to beta test ATX. I have been with them for numerous years in the past and would like to see if there are any improvments over the problems experienced by some last year. ATX offers forms that I use that TaxSlayer does not yet. I will not go with OltPro or OneDesk as I tried it, they insisted a trust return Sch D calcualted correctly and filled in correctly when it did not. Therefore, can't use incompetent software.

I am definitley very confused about what to do about software. I have a small but growing practice used ATX the last 2 years. Need to run on a network, just purchased a small practice that uses Drake ( used Drake several years ago wasnt particularly in love with it), am trialing Proseries but still prefer ATX. Need it to not crash, and for support to exist. There are lots of things I like about Proseries but am struggling to understand a few issues (rental properties with different depreciation than in ATX) A conversion to Proseries would now involve two different vendors to Proseries. Dont do enough returns to merit LaCerte or Ultratax. Ugggh

Guest Taxed

If you are not too thrilled with Proseries and want to give ATX another chance, wait till the beta testing is done. I am sure Jack from Ohio will keep everybody informed about this findings especially network issues. The only thing you are losing is any early discount that you may be able to negotiate should you switch in the fall.

• 4 weeks later...

I would vote if it would allow me to select more than one tax software program. I planned to renew with ATX with the expectation that it will improve over time. AND I also plan to renew the Ultra Tax that I purchased late February when I got so paranoid about ATX. Ultra Tax gave me a decent price with a 3-year lock. I do not have to renew Ultra Tax until November 2013.

What kind of deal did you get and are you using only the tax software or are there other addons that you purchased...we are negotiating with ultratax and plan on doing the Payroll, Tax and practice management along with file cabinet. This will allow for increased productivity with integration between programs. Also how do you like it?

If price is the main factor, they must choose Drake because it's the only game in town given those parameters. I like Drake and plan to continue using it until I retire, but if price were not an issue I'd probably go back to Ultra Tax because I liked it immensely the 3 years I used it until my discount aged out. That was several years ago - I can only imagine what they have done with it since then.

Guest Taxed

I have a nasty feeling that in the next 5 years most tax prep software will be cloud computing based. Even Drake will be launching Drake Hosted and Drake Zero next year.

• 5 weeks later...

We chose Drake because it works dependably.

Dependability is way overrated. :)

After all, this is only our clients' most sensitive data.

Just curious.

Now that you've switched to Drake, have you identified your backup vendor?

In my mind, that second step is just as important as the first.

(Not just identified, but also implemented).

• Like 2

We chose Drake because it works dependably.

I'm picking myself up off the floor, not because of your statement of dependability, but because your firm (and you?) decided to make the switch.

I think you'll find that your preparers will pick up on the input screens rather quickly, and the little tricks and nuances will come easily enough. Those should seem a very minor inconvenience compared to all of the workarounds that using ATX entailed this past season. I hope your conversion goes well!

Since switching to ProSeries I've done 25 returns. The switch has been fairly easy. I've had to call support a couple of times with questions but they have been great! The cost is not a problem when you

divide the number of returns by the cost of the program. So far ProSeries has been a breath of fresh air. I'm sure Drake is great also!! I just had to make the decision not to go through 2012 again.

August @ adgfinancial.com

• Like 1

Dependability is way overrated. :)

After all, this is only our clients' most sensitive data.

Just curious.

Now that you've switched to Drake, have you identified your backup vendor?

In my mind, that second step is just as important as the first.

(Not just identified, but also implemented).

I am the backup vendor. I will NOT move our clients information offsite. I have redundancies built into our operation that provide me all the protection (actually more) that an offsite backup company would, and the information is under OUR control. Each morning, the backup external hard drive from the day before is connected and the one hooked in (with last nights complete backup) is taken back across the street to the house of my boss's parents. The server is backed up in two locations on the network as well.

I have yet to hear of a Drake user that lost all the work on a return due to a program glitch. Drake saves each entry immediately after you move to the next form or page. The worst you could possibly lose in the last 2 minutes of work.

Yes, I have run the Drake software through ALL the paces. It is DEPENDABLE, speedy and intuitive to use. Average wait time for tech support increased last year to 12 seconds. Longest wait was 3 minutes. I HAVE checked it all out. Price was 4th or 5th on the priority list for choosing new software.

• Like 1