ATX Community

Picking 2013 Tax Software

Crank

Well now that the 2012 filing season is behind us...mostly. It about time to turn our attention to relaiable software for the 2013 filing season. Id like to get a discussion going about what people are considering. For my practice I do about 100 1040's and 3-5 1120S returns. Ocassionally a 1041. Im also in one of the few states that has a local income tax filing requirement and Im aware that most wont require this so Ill leave it out of the discusion.

So far I am considering:

OLTPro - $599

MainStreet Tax Solutions - But @$700 is not worth the additional steps required to prepare a return vs. ATX and TaxWorks. It took me about 1/3 longer to prepare a return. Also, I wasnt comfortable with the shortcomings i.e. calculation errors and manual work arounds. Didnt seemlike a reliable product to me when I used it for the 2012 filing season even at the $300 price

Tax Slayer Pro - Although the web site says starting at $1095. I believe others purchased it at about $700 in 2012

ATX?

ProSeries - Too expensive I believe,

Not considering:

Drake (Seems like a great option but out of my price range)

TRX - Haha did I even have to mention this one

Idf like to keep the price at or below $700 but that appears to be unrealistic. However that may be possible if I can get the 1120S returns on a reasonable PPR basis,

What is everyone here considering?

Can we get a group price?

John

If ATX can come up with software LIKE it had in prior years this would be my choice - if they can come out with a sample that we can actually test to determine its reliability, or will they have the same problems as last year? Otherwise I'll consider Drake or Tax Slayer.

TaxWise - A solid program that hasn't changed in years. There are some trivial things it doesn't do (like adding up the foreign tax shown on 1099-DIVs) but no major faults that I'm aware of. Good support of client letters and print packages. I bought the complete 2013 version (1040 plus all entities, all states, unlimited e-file) for about $725 including shipping from one of the resellers. (see Sure Fire Taxes or Ultimate Tax Service)

If you are doing 100 1040s and a handful of 1120S, take a look at Tax Act in your price range (less than $700)

If you want to spend a little more over $700, Taxwise from various resellers is an option.

• 3 weeks later...

>> I was very happy with TaxAct...and plan on using them again.

I had tried their prior year demo and it is good if you only do 1040 forms. If you do 1041, 1065, 1120S as i do you have to buy additional programs because their preparer version does not include them.

I am not sure what they are charging now but when you add up all the additional cost, and also they charge for e-file the cost was very close to what ATX was charging those days.

I think for someone who does less than 100, 1040 returns, it is a viable option.

>> I was very happy with TaxAct...and plan on using them again.

I had tried their prior year demo and it is good if you only do 1040 forms. If you do 1041, 1065, 1120S as i do you have to buy additional programs because their preparer version does not include them.

I am not sure what they are charging now but when you add up all the additional cost, and also they charge for e-file the cost was very close to what ATX was charging those days.

I think for someone who does less than 100, 1040 returns, it is a viable option.

I do about 300...but only 1040s.

It is very user friendly....and if it's something unfamiliar the program walks you thru with the questions. It's basically the same thing the civilians use.

With TRX...and whatever programs they were using....it assumed you knew everything.

They are charging @ $600 this year for a bundle, depending on the features you get.

If they had the 1040-NR it would be perfect....but, by not having it, I'm avoiding a lot of potential headaches.

So are you not doing any 1040-NR next season. I thought that was your bread and butter?

Will you try to do it by hand and paper filing?

LOL...the IRS has a very nice fill-in form for the 1040NR. So...I can do it on the 1040-make adjustments-and copy it. It's not really "big deal"...just extra work.

In the past I did lots and lots of non-resident aliens. Now they are resident aliens (green cards) or moved back home. So...no problems there.

But...I get lots of referrals...and here's some of the problems:

1. My fees were low....too low...so I raised them...and the people started complaining. (I charged something like $150....the going rate was more like $300)

2. Non-residents have to itemize (usually...some exceptions)....but they have no expenses. The IRS has been looking closely at these returns...so, you see where that is going.

3. They come here for $30,000 with a wife and 2 kids. However, they have to file MFS...without dependents (again usually...some exceptions). Then they tell me that "they have 3 dependents" and I need to include this. Then I have to explain...this is the American system...not your home country.

4. The J-2 issues....I won't even start to get into that one here

To put it simply....I cannot do now what I could do a few years ago without a lot of potential issues and headaches.

So...I hang on to the ones I have but don't accept new non-resident aliens unless all the income is excluded by treaty.

I may have posted before but I still have a few long time clients who moved to NYC/NJ from MA and they still mail me their tax return preparation because according to them NYC charges are much higher than what I used to charge. If I remember they also said that they were quoted around $300 by local NYC tax preparers.

I have switched to Drake Software Unlimited. I need to have reliable proven software.

Drake offers a pay per return system:

The PPR package includes 15 returns for just $285. That’s only $19 per return, and you can purchase additional returns within the software at $19 each. You may complete numerous states, electronically file, or amend a return, and it still counts as only one return. After you’ve purchased 85 returns, you may convert your package to the Unlimited version.

Charge your clients an additional $20 for out of pocket costs, software tax processing....

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I'm reviewing several programs. No decision, yet. I haven't run into many issues with ATX '12, but I only have a few returns in it. Also the 2013 specs mean I would have to upgrade my PC. Drake costs more and I would have to get used to the input, but should run on my PC. It has some features I like better. Others have potential but cost more - might be able to negotiate?

I will be interested to learn what everyone else is finding. I have a small practice, so cost is a big factor for me. But I also do not want a repeat of last season.

I may have posted this before but if COST is your major decision factor compared to features in the software your choices are rather limited. If you only do less than 100 returns a pay per return option with Intuit or any major software vendor is also an option.

I use a pay per return backup option.

You can go with TaxAct (1040) for around $600 including unlimited e-filing. Less if you want to pay per return.

You can get Taxwise from a reseller for around $700. Your support through the reseller will be an issue.

I mirror ed_accountant's sentiments as I too have purchased Drake software. My practice is compsed of about 80 tax returns 85% 1040 and about 12 mixed business returns.

The cost compared to TRX and Tax Wise that I used in the past few years is about 3 times the cost however I am tired of conversions, learning curves, and all the aggravation that resellers have caused.

In addition to the tax software Drake offers Drake Document Manager, Client Write-Up including after the cact payroll efiling, Drake Tax Planner, etc.

They have over 40,000 users and have consistently been rated in the top 3 companies in many surveys including the AICPA.

I hope that because of my decision I will sleep better during this coming season as well as far into the future?

I will let you know my experiences as they develop. In any case best of luck with your search.

Mike Dubin CPA

You can't go wrong with Drake once you get used to the data entry screens that are tabbed just like the sections of the 1040 form.

They also have shortcuts and Macros that will let you input faster.

Just received this email from Tax Slayer Pro:

For one week only, November 4th – 8th, make me an offer on TaxSlayer Pro tax software! If the offer is reasonable, I will accept it. I want to do whatever it takes to earn your business. If you decide the program is not a good fit, you will have until December 1st, 2013 to receive a full refund. This allows you to purchase the program at a substantial discount, and you will get to truly test the software.

Please respond to this email with one of the following:

1. I’d like to make you an offer. (Put your offer in the email)

2. I’m interested in having a brief conversation with you to determine if I would like to make an offer.

3. I’m not interested in making an offer.

Sincerely,

Seth Babb
(888)420-1040 ext: 247
www.taxslayerpro.com

I wonder what a reasonable offer is considering the web price is listed at $1.095. Im guessing $299 might be a bit too low.

• 3 weeks later...