ATX Community

Primary cause of '12/preview slowness

jshtax

I had a few minutes to spare today and tried an experiment. I had been working on only old returns in the past that had been rolled over for my testing. Today I started a return from the beginning adding a w2, schedule A, and a schedule E pg 1 rental activity. In the past (working in existing returns) when I went to put data on the schedule E it would take 3-4 seconds to respond to a key stroke before moving to the next cell. On the schedule E today in the new return response time was below .5 seconds....almost instantly. Now is where I found the limitations. I then added a K1 and put $1000 on every line 1-11 so it would populate multiple forms(sch d, 4797, 8949, straddle...etc). I went back to the rental activity and entered amounts and it took 3-4 seconds to respond again. It appears as the file increases in size the response time slows. According to a client that does programming and our IT people this is an issue with the software not clearing its cache. I wish there was someone in development I could reach to see if this can be resolved.

I had a few minutes to spare today and tried an experiment. I had been working on only old returns in the past that had been rolled over for my testing. Today I started a return from the beginning adding a w2, schedule A, and a schedule E pg 1 rental activity. In the past (working in existing returns) when I went to put data on the schedule E it would take 3-4 seconds to respond to a key stroke before moving to the next cell. On the schedule E today in the new return response time was below .5 seconds....almost instantly. Now is where I found the limitations. I then added a K1 and put $1000 on every line 1-11 so it would populate multiple forms(sch d, 4797, 8949, straddle...etc). I went back to the rental activity and entered amounts and it took 3-4 seconds to respond again. It appears as the file increases in size the response time slows. According to a client that does programming and our IT people this is an issue with the software not clearing its cache. I wish there was someone in development I could reach to see if this can be resolved.

I spoke with management at ATX a little while ago and they are passing this on to development. I just do not know enough about development/programming that would cause an individual file size to slow the operation of the software. A hurdle management has to get over is telling a developer their baby is ugly or has a defect.

jshtax, just a thought. Is recalculation turned off?

I turn off recalculation in my software. I only want to recalculate after I am done with all data input.

Preferences

It was already marked as we must have marked it back in January or something. Playing around with it checked or unchecked actually had little to no impact on speed as it relates to entry of data and moving between fields on the k1 input and rental input. What type of changes in performance has anyone ever notices as it relates to that box being marked or not?

I guess a way to address this is by asking if I am the only one having serious speed/lagging issues? I would assume the only way to determine if its a universal issue is for multiple people to try creating the same type of return and report back their input times. Has this experiment or one like it ever been done before?

Did you fill out the surveys and send all this information to them? Having these issues and not reporting them defeats the purpose of the beta test.

I made my opinions very clear as I was more focused on my issues than the 3 assignments they gave us.