ATX Community

New Warning System

Eric

Unless it is a direct insult or derogatory statement directed at an individual, it seems to me this will always be a subjective decision and even on the directed statement side, it will still be subjective. If this is true, this will very hard to administer, if not, impossible. Cuss words are easy to handle, the rest is a problem.

Unless it is a direct insult or derogatory statement directed at an individual, it seems to me this will always be a subjective decision and even on the directed statement side, it will still be subjective. If this is true, this will very hard to administer, if not, impossible. Cuss words are easy to handle, the rest is a problem.

You're quite right, and being the behavior police and treating people like they're in kindergarten is the last thing I want to deal with.

But is it really so hard to just not be a dick?

EDIT: Excuse the terminology, but that really is the best way I know how to put it.

• Like 4

it's the subject matter that's causing people to behave so emotionally.

It doesn't have to be Anything Goes. This is a tax board, so the political forum could focus on taxation policies--a bit more on point than just whether tax dollars should be spent in such-and-such a way. One technical rule I am suggesting is to limit or even prohibit Internet links and copy. I think they are best used for reference, not as the whole or principal argument of a post. I enjoy the personal opinions.

• Like 2

Eric:

You do what you feel you have to do.

I am involved with other boards, and I am involved with the Moderation Policies and procedures on one in particular.

Some folks, NO MATTER WHAT, are going to be Dicks.

All the moderation in the world will not prevent that.

And when they get too disruptive, you ban them And when they log in again as a new member name, you ban them again.

Someone may be the most wrong politically from my ideas as possible. But they don't have to be a Dick.

How many members have been involved with this forum, and have never been moderated, or had posts modified, or Notify's sent? A very large percentage will be part of that group. Its the ones that GET these actions against them that are really the problem.

Rich

• Like 1

I like reading most of the posts in the politics forum, just like I read almost all of the topics in chat. Even when I've disagreed with topics, I've learned some things I did not know about the workings of our government, just like I've learned things over the years about tax issues that I don't deal with in my own practice. No one knows everything.

We won't always like everyone at a party or agree with everything someone says, but why is it so hard to be civil?

Would you send your children to school and let them - Shout at their classmates and insult them simply because they have a differing view? Take it personally because their view differs from others in their class? Walk up and insult another student before they are even spoken to? Demand answers? Follow someone around the playground and dog their every move? Kick sand in their face? How long would it be before the principal called the parent or sent home a report?

Now substitute yourself for the student with you attending a professional seminar with a group of your peers. I guess some here might act like that, or want to, because it's been happening on this forum lately, and it's not just in the politics forum either. The internet gives anonymity, but that shouldn't be an excuse for bad behavior.

• Like 2

Hi everybody! Looks like I've been missing in action, and there have been some battles! I've liked this forum because of the diversity of personalities. I am hoping that it doesn't become boring and too politically correct. Yawn. That would be a shame.

Now Jack, you know you love it. It can be interesting, and keeping it separate works to protect those who don't want to read those posts, while letting those of us who want to discuss such issues a place where the 'typical' political trolls that infest so many sites are not allowed. Since we all have our profession in common, even where we disagree we can do so with a level of respect that should keep the discussion from descending too low.

I really don't care what you do Eric. Since I found I can block the source of my irritation, I don't get pissed off at anyone anymore. I don't post much anymore for reasons that most people know about on the board, but I will start contributing again now that I don't see anything from the one person, IMHO, who has been the cause of all of this consternation.

We had a civil, respectful, sometimes rowdy board for a long time here. Jack from Ohio was never seen as a problem until "someone" showed up and became the most posted newbie in history. But now that I don't see that "someone" on the board because of the blocking feature, I am certain that things will return to the way they were. One big happy family without "someone" screwing it all up.

Thanks for creating the blocking feature Eric. It has made the board readable and enjoyable again.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I really don't care what you do Eric. Since I found I can block the source of my irritation, I don't get pissed off at anyone anymore. I don't post much anymore for reasons that most people know about on the board, but I will start contributing again now that I don't see anything from the one person, IMHO, who has been the cause of all of this consternation.

We had a civil, respectful, sometimes rowdy board for a long time here. Jack from Ohio was never seen as a problem until "someone" showed up and became the most posted newbie in history. But now that I don't see that "someone" on the board because of the blocking feature, I am certain that things will return to the way they were. One big happy family without "someone" screwing it all up.

Thanks for creating the blocking feature Eric. It has made the board readable and enjoyable again.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Tom, you've made it pretty clear the "someone" you are referring to, and placing the entire blame for the negative tone of the forum, the blasting, or what anyone else chooses to post on this one person is simply not fair. No one but ourselves sits at our computers and forces our hand to post messages and replies in topics, and more than one person has had a hand in the current need for this warning system. Frankly, I don't like the fact that you've made mention of any other member for screwing up the whole forum, even though you didn't name the person directly. These are the types of posts that keep things in the turmoil and it needs to end.