ATX Community

OldJack

So if you were to close the browser, and then re-open it, and come back to www.atxcommunity.com, it would ask for you to login again? (can you test that for me?)

You could also try deleting the cookie and clearing your browser cache, and then try logging in again to see if that fixes it.

Well... I did a little testing and it appears that it has something to do with the AOL 9.0 browser. If I startup IE 6.0 browser and log-off and back on the cookie works to log me in. If I use AOL browser it will not log-on. It is easy to dismiss the AOL browser and say use IE, but you should know that my AOL browser has never had a cookie log-on problem with any other website and I log into many websites every day. This is a first.

I was having the same problem with Firefox. I found that if I went into Options, Privacy and set an exception to always allow cookies for this site it worked.

Well... I have the cookie.. it is just not being read by the browser or the website. This time used IE browser and it did not automatically log me in but when I entered my log-in name it automatically entered my password into the field. Go figure.

The board is trying to set two cookies.. if you're only getting one of them, this could be the problem. Is there way you can whitelist atxcommunity.com so that all cookies are always accepted by your browser?

As far as I know I am only receiving 1 cookie, www.atxcommunity.com. I don't know why your program would need 2 but if you could provide the name of your cookies I could find them and make them trusted so they don't get deleted.

Well, i misspoke. There are multiple cookies, but they all do come from www.atxcommunity.com

Their names are:

coppa

pass_hash

member_id

session_id

ipb_stronghold

modids

forum_read

topicsread

There may be more than that for certain functions, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if you're having trouble with the ipb_stronghold cookie, which contains encrypted geographical data. Its function is to make cookie stealing almost impossible, but anyone who has trouble with it for whatever reason would have to log in more than usual.

If you can verify that the ips_stronghold cookie is getting set but you're still having issues, let me know. I'd prefer to leave it enabled for added security, but if it's causing problems, I will disable it.

Well, i misspoke. There are multiple cookies, but they all do come from www.atxcommunity.com

Their names are:

coppa

pass_hash

member_id

session_id

ipb_stronghold

modids

forum_read

topicsread

There may be more than that for certain functions, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if you're having trouble with the ipb_stronghold cookie, which contains encrypted geographical data. Its function is to make cookie stealing almost impossible, but anyone who has trouble with it for whatever reason would have to log in more than usual.

If you can verify that the ips_stronghold cookie is getting set but you're still having issues, let me know. I'd prefer to leave it enabled for added security, but if it's causing problems, I will disable it.

Here is the contents of your www.atxcomunity.com cookie:

---

I've disabled the stronghold cookie. I'd remove any atxcommunity.com related cookies and then try to log in.. let me know if there's any improvement.

Evidently it was the stronghold cookie as my log-in this time worked just fine. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I am no longer having any problems with this computer. However, with new laptop, I have to log in every time. Strange thing is that I just type in the first letter of my user name and it auto fills in the user name and password and logs me in. Just an annoying (slightly) extra step; but strange.

I am no longer having any problems with this computer. However, with new laptop, I have to log in every time. Strange thing is that I just type in the first letter of my user name and it auto fills in the user name and password and logs me in. Just an annoying (slightly) extra step; but strange.

The web browser on your new laptop is probably blocking the cookie. It's remembering the fields for the login form allowing the information to auto-complete when you start typing, but that's different from the cookie.

Somewhere in your browser settings there is a place to tell it not to block cookies from this website. If you can't find it, let me know what web browser and version, and I should be able to tell you how to get there.

Thank you Erc....I will boot up the other one and get you that info. It is a small annoyance; buy why be annoyed when it can be fixed. I hate having to learn all this new stuff. Not that I am opposed to learning and knowledge,; but I am of the "If it's not broke, don't fix it!" school. Later......

The web browser on your new laptop is probably blocking the cookie. It's remembering the fields for the login form allowing the information to auto-complete when you start typing, but that's different from the cookie.

Somewhere in your browser settings there is a place to tell it not to block cookies from this website. If you can't find it, let me know what web browser and version, and I should be able to tell you how to get there.

Erc, that would be IE 7.0.5.............Thanks

Erc, that would be IE 7.0.5.............Thanks

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've been ridiculously busy redoing a local hospital's website.

Try this in IE7:

1. Tools > Internet Options > Privacy

2. Click Sites

If you see atxcommunity.com anywhere in the Managed websites list, remove it before moving to the next step.

3. Under Address of website type http://www.atxcommunity.com

4. Click Allow

5. Click OK

Hopefully, after you do this, your username/password will be remembered after the next time you log in.

• 3 weeks later...