ATX Community

Help Needed

Looking for a part-time assistant for tax season. Just west of Boston.

Anything from help with document handling (scanning & collating) to someone who eventually wants their own practice and wants to learn until they're ready to take the reins.

My teaching, writing, and lecturing on the US Constitution is taking more and more time. Since both my live-in, home-grown helpers are now out of the house, I'm swamped.

Have you checked with your local High School guidance dept? There are many sharp kids who would like to learn a new business than flipping burgers, if you paid them a tad more than the min. wage or a bonus at the end of the season.

Obviously you have to be very flexible with their hours. One tip, feed them supper if they come to work at 3pm and stay till 8 during rush weekdays. You will be amazed how motivated they will be, if you get the right kid.

A good idea, but I tried that two years ago and am not particularly eager to repeat the experience.

ONE kid was interested -- but needed not to work Feb - Apr as that was his sports season. Big kid; 6' tall easy, lived around the corner from my office. His MOM came to the interview with him, in case she was needed to protect babykins from big bad (5' tall, middle-aged) me.

Good grief.

• Like 1

I tried college kids three years before I gave up on them. Spring Break is in March, you know. Best help I ever found was old, not so pretty woman who totally appreciated the job, never made personal calls on my time, showed up on time and worked hard, looking for things to do when she got caught up on what I'd given her. When it comes to office help, I am 'ageist' I guess, but work ethic among most kids is just missing in action.

• Like 2

I have had good luck with the right high school kid for simple tasks like scanning, filing, playing receptionist etc. I do stay away from kids who are busy with varsity sports because as Catherine pointed out after school and on weekends they are not available.

Keep in mind these are extreme seasonal jobs (Feb, March and a week in April). Most adults in my area are not interested in such a short stint at min wage.

I have had the great good fortune to have in succession 2 elderly (70's) women in my neighborhood who work a few hours per week handling mail, scanning, mailing things out, filing, all sorts of mundane but necessary tasks. They loved the flexible schedule (family is always first), a bit of extra money and learning some new things that are not too difficult. I cannot imagine doing without them. And they receive about 50% over minimum wage and a contribution to a retirement plan. And I get cookies....

• Like 3

I'd be more inclined to look for a recently retired or laid off office worker, maybe someone looking to supplement their social security with a little income but doesn't want a permanent full time position. That person would be seasoned in the workings of an office, handling paper flow, scheduling, etc. I know someone that would be perfect if only you were in southeastern PA. She worked for the firm I came out of, she moved away and back again, and she is now my client. I wish I had enough extra work to hire her!

Maybe you could try your church bulletin board or newsletter.

• Like 1

This is an actual ad from Craigslist in my state: Experienced Tax Preparer (South Hamilton)

Leading CPA firm located north of Boston seeks an experienced tax professional for the upcoming tax season. Responsibilities include preparation of tax returns for individuals, partnerships and corporations, plus tax research and client contact.

Qualifications:

Must have a minimum of three years recent tax preparation experience.

Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.

Must have outstanding attention to detail.

ProFx experience a plus.

From February 1st through April 15th, full-time hours are required in a friendly, fast paced environment.

• 2 months later...

A place I was working at, we obtained an student in college. they were going for accounting.

A lot of students need to focus on schools, yet they need an income. So with us offering just to scan and etc. and give them guidance and PAY them, was what she needed.

Therefore, I say look into some college kids that are in their second year of school.

Any luck? When I was at Block, a lot of our seasonal workers were recently retired but needing part-time work and loving tax season when it's cold to work so they could spend summers golfing, visiting grandkids, traveling, etc. We especially had a lot of retired school teachers who needed a few more quarters of SS wages before they reached full-retirement age. My husband receives a newsletter for retired teachers from his school district; something like that would be a great place to place an ad.