ATX Community

NT Don't believe everything you read/hear on the net

ILLMAS

By BRYNN GINGRAS

NBCNewYork.com

The New Jersey waitress whose story has been questioned after she claimed she received an anti-gay note instead of a tip on a restaurant bill was dishonorably discharged from the Marines last spring after she stopped showing up, NBC 4 New York has learned.

Dayna Morales, a server at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, had posted a photo on Facebook earlier this month showing the bill with a line through the tip area. The photo of the receipt showed someone had written, "I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I do not agree with your lifestyle."

A New Jersey couple came forward to NBC 4 New York and said this week that the receipt was theirs but that they had left a tip and did not write a note, suggesting it was used for a hoax. The handwriting, they said, was not theirs, and they also supplied what they said was a credit card statement showing they were charged for the total plus the $18 tip.

NBC 4 New York learned Wednesday from a Pentagon source that Morales was dismissed from the Marine Reserve Corps in May because she wasn't attending drills. It wasn't immediately clear how often those drills were held, and Morales did not respond to a request for comment.

She was stationed in Newburgh, N.Y., and began serving in July 2009, military sources said.

A woman who served with Morales told NBC 4 New York that the commitment is a serious one.

"I wouldn't want anyone to think she was a part of my Marine Corps family, because she's not," said the woman, who asked to remain anonymous because she is still on active duty.

Others who say they knew her tell NBC 4 New York there were things about her background that didn't seem to add up.

A woman who says she and Morales worked together at a Cheesecake Factory in Nyack, N.Y., last year said Morales told coworkers she had brain cancer.

"She came in with her hair shaved because she wanted to shave it herself before she lost it," said Jacqie Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick said Morales also leaned on the cancer story to accept offers of help from friends at work.

Then, she abruptly quit, according to Fitzpatrick, and her coworkers didn't see her again until she appeared in news reports about the receipt.

The Cheesecake Factory declined to comment.

Gallop Asian Bistro said Wednesday that it was still investigating and that Morales is not on the work schedule for now.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53683016/ns/local_news-new_york_ny/t/military-details-nj-waitress/#.UpdvLJso5zm

>>> Gallop Asian Bistro said Wednesday that it was still investigating and that Morales is not on the work schedule for now.

I wonder if they are consulting with their attorney if the restaurant may be sued by the diners?

Much ado about nothing. People can omit tips if they so choose whether it is for politically politically correct reasons or not. However, I would see no reason to leave a note explaining why there was no tip unless it was for poor service--and even then, I would not leave an explanation.

I've been served by waiters/waitresses with tattoos all over themselves and one who had a pin in her tongue. I left them a tip, but would not be inclined to return to that restaurant.

I have left a tip (not 20%) even when I got lousy service because i know that the server is working for less than min wage.

If we get exceptional service and it is one of our usual places, I go over 20%. My daughter used to waitress part time in HS and College.

In the 80s I had visited Rome, Italy and there the restaurants add a fixed tip amount and another charge called bread and butter charge for the basket of bread and butter they bring out. Does NOT matter if you don't touch the bread??

I guess nobody reads my post.

When you give a credit card to a server....they swipe it before they give it back to you to add the tip. This is the initial charge to your card. It's done to make sure the card is good (has available credit, not stolen or reported lost etc). If it isn't good...the server will politely tell you that your card is declined and ask for another method of payment or do whatever they do when they get a stolen card..... etc.

Assuming the card is ok....they give you back the receipt to add the tip...and then they reprocess it.

If your credit card status shows "pending activity"(not included with billed activity)....you will see the initial charge.

However, by the time it shows up as a charge on the card...the initial charge plus the tip is what you see.

If they didn't do this "2 step process" people could just add the tip and leave asap......and after that the server would find out that the customer was using "a problem card".

• Like 1

Please add this one to the list, apparently this happened in Chicago and none of the major news feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox) had covered this story which lead me to believe it might be an urban legend. Just read it, real or not, the ladies word sent chills down my back while I am watching the Chicago Bears play lousily.

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/11/30/woman-kills-three-for-last-x-box-at-chicago-wal-mart/

Please add this one to the list, apparently this happened in Chicago and none of the major news feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox) had covered this story which lead me to believe it might be an urban legend. Just read it, real or not, the ladies word sent chills down my back while I am watching the Chicago Bears play lousily.

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/11/30/woman-kills-three-for-last-x-box-at-chicago-wal-mart/

I'd go with Snopes

I'm from the Chicago area and I didn't hear this.