ATX Community

NT How cheap are you?

ILLMAS

I got to tell you, ever since I went almost paperless, scanning all documents when possible and saving the preparer copy of the return as a Pdf, I have cut down on my paper purchase dramatically. I could not afford to do what i was doing 3 years back with today's paper prices.

I am not cheap. I am frugal. I save zip lock bags (if they have not contained meat), wash them and re-use them. I write my grocery lists on the back of junk mail envelopes. I use the portion of the page for tax payment coupons that I have cut off as scrap paper. I try not to print unless I really need a hard copy. I used to re-roll my adding machine tape and run it through the calculator the second time to print on the other side, but that becomes a pain if you need to tear off a tape and attach it to something to show your addition. I prefer to think that I am doing my bit for the environment. :P

Wow I would send you a prize for cheapness, but I am too cheap to buy it.

• Like 1

Same inlaws, father-in-law flew often on business back when airplane restrooms had those tiny bars of soap. He'd go in all the restrooms immediately and take all the soaps. I'm sure the rest of the passengers were upset. The first time I stayed the night in their guestroom, I was looking for a larger bar to use in the shower, and opened drawer after drawer filled with the tiny bars!

They also had drawers in their kitchen filled with restaurant salt, pepper, sugar, ketchup, mustard, tea bags, and on and on. They'd take the rest of the rolls/bread and butter and salad and anything else left on the table, wrapping in napkins and putting in pockets or purse.

The OP asked a question: "How cheap are you?"

I'm a value shopper....which means getting quality at a low price. I don't buy "junk stuff"....I buy "the best" when I get a good discount.

I don't dine in fancy restaurants...because their prices are a reflection of their rent, not the food.

I get my nails done at a "low key" salon....that doesn't come with a back rub or the sounds of waterfalls.

Am I cheap?

>>> I don't dine in fancy restaurants...because their prices are a reflection of their rent, not the food.

When I visit NYC, I avoid the fancy restaurants in Manhattan. Instead I visit my friend's old neighborhood in Jackson Heights and the food there is great and reasonable. Plus the subway drops you right in the middle of the street (forget the name of the station but it is above ground).

>>> I don't dine in fancy restaurants...because their prices are a reflection of their rent, not the food.

When I visit NYC, I avoid the fancy restaurants in Manhattan. Instead I visit my friend's old neighborhood in Jackson Heights and the food there is great and reasonable. Plus the subway drops you right in the middle of the street (forget the name of the station but it is above ground).

Not all restaurants in Manhattan are fancy. You have to know "the right ones".

I was at the grocery store once and a woman was pulling all the grapes off the stem and placing them in a bag. When an employee asked her what she was doing she said was not going to pay for stems! The employee just chuckled and after she left he took the stem (which she threw back in the bin) and weighed it. She saved a whole nickel.

Wish someone would have weighed the big gobs of fat slapped onto the end of my Thanksgiving Turkey; as well as the chunks of ice that were frozen inside the bird. If that weight were subtracted, I would have saved a lot more than a nickel. I don't call that being cheap. It is sort of like stealing.

I will take printed paper that does not have sensitive information on it and cut it into 4 sheets and put them in my note holder.

I almost always have a coupon when we go out to eat (we always tip on the full amount, usually 18 percent).

At Christmas time, when restaurants give a $5 bonus certificate for every $20 or $25 worth of gift cards, I'll stock up on the cards (use some for gifts, the others, we use for ourselves, plus we have the bonus certificates!)

I pay large bills with a credit card that has rewards for gasoline at a specific chain. One time, I got gas at 90 cents a gallon! I always pay the credit card off each month.

My business credit card rewards program is gift cards, I always get the restaurant gift cards.

I save the used dryer sheets and on another load, I can use two of the used ones.

• Like 1

>> I will take printed paper that does not have sensitive information on it and cut it into 4 sheets and put them in my note holder.

My former boss used to do that. You related to a Mr. Richard Kulig from Windsor, CT??

>> I will take printed paper that does not have sensitive information on it and cut it into 4 sheets and put them in my note holder.

My former boss used to do that. You related to a Mr. Richard Kulig from Windsor, CT??

Nope, but I did notice that public libraries recycle paper this way.

I have found that a half a dryer sheet is *plenty* for a load. Back when they used to be sliced part-way through, I used 1/4 sheet per load. Now that I have to cut them I've gotten lazy and only cut 'em in half. Have a pair of scissors that lives in the dryer sheet box and every now and then I'll chop a decent handful of them all at once -- one pass. The used ones are great for shining faucets, too.

• Like 1

If you want to remove static in the dryer throw in a crumpled ball of aluminum foil with the load. You can re use the foil again and again. I have a tennis ball sized foil and it works great.

When dryer sheets used to come in a roll, I cut the roll in half and hung it from a toilet paper holder above the dryer. Very convenient. Now I just rip them in half before I throw them in the dryer and use half at a time. I remember reading somewhere that, particularly for delicate knits, too much dryer sheet could cause spotting to occur in the dryer. I have never noticed half a sheet not being enough - even for towels.

My dryer sheets used to come out pretty used up, thin, limp, soft. After 23 years, I have a new dryer. Now the dryer sheets are still "starchy" stiff when my clothes are dry. So, I throw each one back in for another load. Glad to hear that nothing's wrong. Thank you for sharing.

I stopped using dryer sheets completely, not only because of the cost, but because I don't like the chemicals or the fake smell either. I have 2 dryer balls that I use instead. I will use the extra paper that the printer spews out for jotting down notes, grocery lists. I have a small stack of it on the right side of the computer hutch.

Ask an appliance repairman about dryer sheets. I just sayin...

With good fabric softener in the washer, nothing else is needed.

I don't use softener either. I might use a little white vinegar in the rinse, but usually not. I don't think softeners are necessary, and I don't want or need more chemicals or perfumes. Microfibers will say to not use softener because it is a petroleum based product that actually coats and clogs the little microfibers and makes it less absorbent. I also wouldn't use it on kitchen or bath towels either for the same reason. I don't think any of these products are needed.

• Like 1