ATX Community

NT How cheap are you?

ILLMAS

I have a (wealthy $$$) friend who carefully opens any gift she gets; carefully folds the wrapping paper and saves it for the next gift that she gives to someone. ME...I am really getting to like gift bags. You all know why. (recycle)

That's not cheap....that's practical.

If you don't like or want something....the other options are to throw it out, or give it to charity.

I love jewelry (the real stuff...not the $18 stuff)....and you should see how well I do there.

Have you looked at http://www.jtv.com/ ? Don't know about jewelry generally but I found some chains that were very low priced (looked at 18k silver and such). Now there were some that were nice BUT size (thickness) weren't as big as I'd have liked but they still worked (I'm a bull and break things easily --- these were for less "bully" people).

Just thought I'd mention -- as you like jewelry.

Have you looked at http://www.jtv.com/ ? Don't know about jewelry generally but I found some chains that were very low priced (looked at 18k silver and such). Now there were some that were nice BUT size (thickness) weren't as big as I'd have liked but they still worked (I'm a bull and break things easily --- these were for less "bully" people).

Just thought I'd mention -- as you like jewelry.

Thanks...but I live a few blocks from the jewelry district in NYC.

My "good stuff" is either custom made (hand picked stones and custom settings) or DH bargains with the diamond merchants if I see a piece that I like.

I've bought a few things on TV, JTV included....and I'm usually disappointed. They look nicer on TV.

I hit the Macy's sale online and picked up some nice sweaters & tunics for my 'professional wear' for the upcoming season. Had coupons on top of sale prices. I don't fight the stores at all. I might have to go into Kohl's to look at purses, though. Their site isn't as good and I'm very particular on handbags. Self-employment helps when you can hit the mall (I hate malls) at 11am on a Tuesday.

• Like 4

I hit the Macy's sale online and picked up some nice sweaters & tunics for my 'professional wear' for the upcoming season. Had coupons on top of sale prices. I don't fight the stores at all. I might have to go into Kohl's to look at purses, though. Their site isn't as good and I'm very particular on handbags. Self-employment helps when you can hit the mall (I hate malls) at 11am on a Tuesday.

I don't think I could ever go back to "working for someone"....just because of the "freedom of time"!

• Like 2

Has anyone heard of someone damaging a piece of clothing so they can get it cheaper or just looking for an imperfection and negotiate the price?

I have heard of someone wearing a piece of clothing, such as a dress, for an entire day, for an event; and then sending it back for a refund.

>>> Why should I pay full price for damaged goods?

When I buy appliances that will be not visible to guests I always check out the dent and scratch sales. Last time i picked up a Whirlpool gas dryer that retails for over $500 for $299 because it fell off the truck while delivering and had a big dent and scratch on the side. My son took the panel off and used a rubber mallet and some white spray paint and you can't even tell unless you know where to look.

I guess I am calling myself out on this, I bought a refrigerator that was a floor sample, the price was already discounted, and then I notice it had a very small dent and I asked for an additional discount and it worked. I also bought a stove that day, my wife didn't like the floor sample so I had to buy a new one, and you are not going to believe this, but the stove still has cover of when it was delivered, at the end, my wife ended up hating the stove, because after 1 1/2 years it hasn't been use :wall:

• 3 months later...

I save all my used paper in a box under my desk. I then shred it and use the shredded paper for all of our Rabbit / Hamster / Chinchilla habitat. (9 Rabbits, 2 Chinchilla's and 2 Hamsters use a lot of bedding and believe me after they use it no one would want it for something else...). Same thing with all of or Newspapers. It goes to good use and saves money not buying bedding.

Once had a co-worker who was evicted for reporting an unsafe furnace. I told him he could camp out with us for a day or three until the new apartment he rented was ready. He, his wife and two kids moved in. They brought a bag and half of groceries when they moved in. A couple days turned into six weeks when the new apartment had to undergo more repairs. Throughout that time he complained about my wife's cooking, made special requests for meals, took showers so long that there was no hot water left when I got in, etc. Not once while they were there did they offer (much less pay) for anything.

After four weeks wifey and kids moved home with mama (in a huff) because my wife was making her feel guilty by doing housework while she (his wife) was watching soaps all day. A couple weeks later I finally had to tell him to find another place to stay. In an amazing coincidence, he instantly found a new apartment just down the street.

A few days later he knocks on the door and sheepishly tells me his wife had sent him over. He said she remembered bringing some groceries when they moved in and she needed them back. My wife & I loaded up a half dozen bags to overflowing and loaded them into his car. He protested that he thought that might be a little more than they had brought. We assured him that the last thing we wanted to do was to take advantage of them and sent him on his way. I never heard from him again. Which was okay with me :P

• Like 1