ATX Community

Disk has arrived any terminal server users

Philip1117

>>> You can't possibly answer that question since you aren't installing ATX 2013. Even those that have renewed with ATX for this year and are installing on a standalone system actually wouldn't be able to answer the exact question that was asked by the OP.

Correct. I do not have ATX 2013. I do not have first hand experience installing ATX 2013. The last version of ATX that I have is 2011.

My answer was a re posting from the ATX document.

TAXED, this is what I do when I see a good question and I cannot answer it. I wait for others to answer it. If two days pass and no one has posted any answers, I try to say something so that the post becomes alive again. Since you are still hanging with us, I believe you will be one person that will come back to ATX in 2015. At that point I will ask you how your installation went and I will be glad for you to share your experience.

I agree with you and I don't like to get an answer like "did you read the IRS manual?", "Did you read the instructions for form 1040?" "Did you read the tax treaty between the US and that country?". I do feel that those answers destroy the intent of this forum.

• Like 2

Now that the disk is here has anyone been successful at installing on the terminal server? Which install did you select?

Time to get this ball rolling.

Phil

I think you asked the wrong question. Sure you can install it on a terminal server by selecting server or standalone for all that matters. The question that should have been asked is the following: Has anyone had success in multiple users logging into a terminal server at the same time and accessing the 2013 software and if so did they use the server or standalone install? A terminal server is different from a server setup since you install on one computer but put the icon on different desktops within that computer.

Has anyone had success in multiple users logging into a terminal server at the same time and accessing the 2013 software and if so did they use the server or standalone install? A terminal server is different from a server setup since you install on one computer but put the icon on different desktops within that computer.

Yes and successfully. Dedicated domain server. In a network, there are no standalone installations. This defies the very definition of a network.

Part of your question is invalid.

Read my pinned posts again. DO NOT read more into the instructions than you see.

I too am having a difficult time with this type of install. I installed the CD on the server selecting Server Only. I then went to the workstation and installed CD with workstation only. The workstation is the hog that everyone logs on with their user name and password so they have their own personal desktop. Once multiple users are on this workstation ATX can only be opened by one user at a time. Is there something I am missing or is this type of install not allowed?

Jsh, therein lies the problem. When you open ATX, it also opens up .Net framework within a computer. .Net framework only allows one registered user into it at a time on the same computer. Ergo, when you have John signed into his desktop on Computer A with ATX 2013 open, .Net framework is open for John and John alone on Computer A. When Jane attempts to open ATX in her desktop on Computer A, the message that pops up is along the lines of 'Josh currently has ATX open, he must close before you can open'. This is due to .Net framework limitations.
I am unsure of how to setup the ATX program within a terminal environment. I have never tried it; I only know what stops ATX from running that way in a terminal environment. I have heard of some skilled IT guys of being able to bend the rules of .Net framework, but I do not know how myself.

I have had 4 open simultaneously. I will be opening 8 simultaneously first of next week. I have even been able to open 3 returns at a time on the workstations.

Did you setup the network settings for ATX on the server before installing workstations? This must be done in correct order.

The programs must ALL be installed on C: drive directly. No mapping of drives. The workstation install will then look to the network for the server and allow you to choose it.

All these are just following the directions provided, and FORGET EVERYTHING FROM ALL PRIOR YEARS about installation.

I have had 4 open simultaneously. I will be opening 8 simultaneously first of next week. I have even been able to open 3 returns at a time on the workstations.

Did you setup the network settings for ATX on the server before installing workstations? This must be done in correct order.

The programs must ALL be installed on C: drive directly. No mapping of drives. The workstation install will then look to the network for the server and allow you to choose it.

All these are just following the directions provided, and FORGET EVERYTHING FROM ALL PRIOR YEARS about installation.

When I installed the "server" only it did not put an icon on the server just created a database file under ATX2013 so I am not sure what "network settings" you are speaking of. I then took disk to workstation and it found the server to use. I have had numerous workstations working at the same time that is not a problem. The problem is when we try to get multiple users logging into 1 workstation at the same time to open multiple instances of ATX at the same time. I can get multiple users on the "workstation" but as RepTar stated I get the error message saying "user" needs to log out. The users are using their computers remote desktop to log-in the "workstation".

jshtax,

you are asking the program to do things it is not designed to do. One user of the program on one workstation. It actually is a server based program in this respect. I cannot fathom why you want more than one person logged into the program on the same workstation at the same time?

Maybe you need more workstations?

Jack,

It appears to me (correct me if wrong!) but Jsh is setting up his network so that he has virtual 'desktops' working on his server so that people may remote into the server and sign in to their virtuals. ATX won't work in this way due to the natures of .Net.

Of course, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

jshtax,

you are asking the program to do things it is not designed to do. On user of the program on one workstation. It actually is a server based program in this respect. I cannot fathom why you want more than one person logged into the program on the same workstation at the same time?

Maybe you need more workstations?

Izzet,

You are correct. ATX is not designed to be used that way, and he knows it. He just keeps pushing the issue.

I guess the problem I have is that 11 and prior years it was able to be used this way and our office was setup around that. In 2012 and 2013 something in the program or .net changed and we now are in a position where we have to change the way the office is setup. Some of the offsite cloud companies had issues with this last year and the only way they could fix the problem was to have a separate computer for each virtual user to log into.

I guess the problem I have is that 11 and prior years it was able to be used this way and our office was setup around that. In 2012 and 2013 something in the program or .net changed and we now are in a position where we have to change the way the office is setup. Some of the offsite cloud companies has issues with this last year and the only way they could fix the problem was to have a separate computer for each virtual user to log into.

If the solution is to get more computers or install directly to the workstations then so be it and it will be done I was just curious if there was a way to get around that issue. As Reptar stated earlier its possibly a .net issue. The reason we did this was sometimes we go to clients offices for a day long meeting and would remote back into the tax software. Technically this is not an approved or supported way to run ATX but you have to do what you have to do. I suppose we can just use a product like teamviewer and accomplish the same thing.

Jsh - this is not an actual .Net problem. .Net is acting exactly how it is supposed to. The biggest issue at hand, for 12 and 13 compared to being able to terminal install previous years, is the database system. In years past, ATX used Microsoft Access for the database system. In 2012, ATX went to Raven Database. Access is extremely manipulative and easy to run in almost any environment; Raven is not. I did say listen to Jack on this - everything he has posted about installs in his tacked thread is spot on, and no, ATX does not offer any cloud based programs, unless you count PortalSafe, which is just a quick, secure way to get tax returns to a client. If you want a physical network, ATX can run in that without any problems, provided the network is formatted NTSF and set properly. But running terminals will give you quite the headache.

If the solution is to get more computers or install directly to the workstations then so be it and it will be done I was just curious if there was a way to get around that issue. As Reptar stated earlier its possibly a .net issue. The reason we did this was sometimes we go to clients offices for a day long meeting and would remote back into the tax software. Technically this is not an approved or supported way to run ATX but you have to do what you have to do. I suppose we can just use a product like teamviewer and accomplish the same thing.

Jsh - I stated that .Net is causing your pop-up errors, but not an error for .Net framework at all. You can use teamviewer, or Join Me, or any other remote-in tool to run the software on a physical computer. It is not advised, but doable. However, the you will need to have a physical workstation available for each employee logging in. So, if you have 3 employees using ATX (including yourself), you will need to have 3 physical workstations for it to work properly.