ATX Community

ATX 2013 Information to clear up confusion

Jack from Ohio

Hello Fellow Discussion Board Members,

I am reposting my experiences and recommendations concerning ATX 2013.

Systems & Hardware:

The following information is the results of my experience for 2012 and my testing of 2013. I will not go into detailed explanations. You may accept my information or ignore it. I will not spend time trying to convince the die hard "old system works and I won't replace it" group any further than the information I am posting.

My system recommendations:

Operating System - Windows 7 PRO only. No other. Make the move from Win XP, despite any stubbornness you have about not changing. Get over it. It is a dinosaur and will not be supported by Microsoft after spring 2014. Hardware is inexpensive. If your peripherals do not run on WIN 7, replace them. Printers and scanners are cheap. Get over your fondness of the old stuff.

64Bit is nice, but will not give a substantial boost in speed to ATX2013. 64Bit will improve many other programs.

Processor speed of 2.6 or higher (actually as low as 2.1 should function if you are a standalone or peer to peer) will be adequate for ATX 2013.

4GB of RAM is sufficient. Any above that will not give increased performance of ATX 2013.

If you are using a dedicated server - Server 2008 64Bit (there are several versions) or newer. If your system will support 64Bit, up to 16GB of RAM in the server.

The recommended list from ATX will probably be useful for ATX2014. Plan your upgrades now so any learning curve for new operating systems can be done before season.

Decisions about software for tax year 2013:

After much research, testing and observation, here is what I have to share. The NDA that I signed with CCH prevents me from saying much of what I would like to, so here is the scoop

The firm I work for and myself at my private practice are staying with ATX for 2013. This was decided after dozens of hours of trial and research.

I have observed that many of the problems that existed for 2012 should not be issues in 2013. The development team has been working very hard to bring a workable product to the table for 2013.

Anyone wishing more info, please send me a PM.

• Like 6

Got a slight problem with the rollovers. If a 2012 return was completed prior to the most recent update you have to go back in 2012 software open and save the return before being able to roll it over to 13. Is there any way to fix this or is this a problem we just have to deal with?

Got a slight problem with the rollovers. If a 2012 return was completed prior to the most recent update you have to go back in 2012 software open and save the return before being able to roll it over to 13. Is there any way to fix this or is this a problem we just have to deal with?

This is the result of 2012 being so screwed up. There is no way to fix it, there is no way to know which returns need to be re-opened till you try to roll them over.

Jack, thanks for the info.

Can you share why Windows 8 Pro isn't recommended? I'm currently shopping for my new desktop and I was leaning towards Windows 8 Pro. I do have a Windows 7 Pro laptop.

Windows 8 is not recommended because, like ATX2012 it has never been finished. Too fragile and unpredictable. Even Microsoft backed off on the rollout and are allowing manufacturers to have WIN7 as the original OS and include a free upgrade to Windows 8.

I am skipping Windows 8, just like I did Vista.

For the record, Windows 7 is Vista that was finished and fixed.

• Like 1

Windows 8 is not recommended because, like ATX2012 it has never been finished. Too fragile and unpredictable. Even Microsoft backed off on the rollout and are allowing manufacturers to have WIN7 as the original OS and include a free upgrade to Windows 8.

Windows 7 Ultimate should be good if you are suggesting Pro?

Thanks Jack.

I ran Vista for 6 years without any issues.

I just ordered a new system with windows 8.1 and don't expect any issues. if you watch some YouTube videos on it it is really quite easy with a mouse. They just added the tablet functionality to it which confuses some people but you don't have to use the apps if you don't want to. If you use a smartphone or tablet you will be familiar with how Apps work. You have your installed programs and Apps on it. Like Taxed said win 8.1 got good reviews. Its really your preference but I prefer to use the newer OS's.

Oh, also with windows 8.1 they added back the start button for those who want it and you can boot directly to the desktop and not the "Tiles Start Page" (Apps) if you prefer. I just read today that Microsoft is moving to a yearly update schedule with their software and another update to Win8 is expected by June of 2014.

If you are going to be using Win 8.1, make sure you get the correct printer and scanner driver. My son ran into that issue until he could find the correct driver. Some Win 7 drivers may work but is not reliable. You will find extraneous characters or margin wavy etc.??

Thanks Taxed. I always re install my OS every year before tax season and download updated drivers.

For the record I have had machines running:

MS-DOS

Windows: 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7 and soon 8. I find that the gripes are usually overblown and if justified they issue an update. Most people are just afraid of change.

Linux - I prefer Linux Mint and dual boot my machines with it. If the tax software ran on Linux I just might abandon Windows all together. That's how much I prefer it. Cleaner, faster, updated and always FREE. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess they must need more customers. Just got this flyer.

ATX MAX®

$1,099

Purchase by December 31, 2013

and save $150

Got another one. Now they will throw in $90 towards a NATP membership for same retail price.

http://go.cchsfs.com/natp_special_offer

These offers are for NEW subscribers ONLY! We have to get over it. Whatever price we were able to negotiate, we agreed to pay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have Windows 7 Home installed. It has worked fine for 2 years, I have a small clientele, approximately 125, no business returns, run Max but do not install the business forms. Before I install 2013, do I have to install Pro or will Home work for what I have. I work out of my home and I am the only preparer. Thanks for any info.

AnnieR that is windows 7 home premium.

Edited by AnnieR