ATX Community

When Do You Send Out Tax Organizers

ETax847

I was waiting for the 2014 mileage rates to be announced so my final edits will be done by end of week and I am planning tp mail out on the 18th. This year I decided to do a week sooner because I was getting a lot of calls about next year based on TV news coverage about Obamacare and taxes in general.

We don't normally send organizers until January. That way people have started getting their informational statements from their employers and investments to use in completing the organizer. I usually try to send out a newsletter in December, with a pocket calendar enclosed. I have been waiting for the mileage rate to complete that.

I normally send out a letter in December; more of a reminder that I am still in business. In it, I offer the option of an Organizer which can be e-mailed, mailed or picked up. Just had one picked up today. New client is leaving for Az next week and wants to work on it while he is gone. Really, I find that if they want an organizer they will not be shy about asking for it. For years I sent them to most of my clients and always to businesses. However, I found that only certain clients filled it out consistently. Many brought it back empty, which was OK. What was not OK was the ones who didn't even bring it back for me to use. After a few years, you find out what most of them are going to want.

• Like 1

Whether you send out the Organizer in late December or early January does not really matter because during the holidays they will NOT deal with it. The advantage of sending in December is a minor one to let them know that you are still in business. As you can imagine your competitors go full steam with their ads starting January.

For my established clients I really don't care if they fill it out completely. What I am doing is helping them remember the questions they should ask themselves and get me the documentation. I really hate it when someone forgets a 1099 or a other piece of documentation that is critical to preparing the return correctly, but the client was not aware of its importance.

I usually send out a letter talking generally about the next tax season, etc in late December, followed in a couple of days with a privacy notice, followed in a couple of more days with an engagement letter. These are all done via e-mail. When I get back the Engagement Letter I send out the Tax Organizer. I also send out an e-mail 2/1, 3/1 and 3/15 for those that have not yet responded. Any response to the 3/15 contact is automatically put on extension....maybe the 2/15 based upon the workload that is alreay in the pipeline.

How many pages is your typical 1040 organizer? Do you expect them to e-mail or fax the competed organizers?

Most of my clients will not scan or fax the completed questionnaire. Those who complete it either mail it to me or deposit it in my drop box.

I do ask them to call me to confirm that they got it, ask any questions etc. and that gives me an idea how many clients are at risk of going AWOL! It really works most of the years as a good indicator.

My entire practice is internet based. I do not have any office appoiintments, therefore, they all complete the Tax Organizer. I have transferred the ATX organizer to an Excel document. It is a little long and I am in the process of shortening it up. Last years organizer was 26 pages, including the intro letter, the two pages of questions and two pages of clergy info. All my communications is also via e-mail. I generally do not answer phone calls (emergency calls yes. I do give all clients my phone number). If I get a call, generally off a recorder, I usually just send an e-mail response. There has been no real resistance to this and it also gives me a written record of the questions and answers to all queries, regardless of how I received it.

• Like 1

I gave up on local newspaper ads because i was competing against other preparers in town who were offering $20 coupons to walk in clients (mostly EITC eligible) and selling bank products with jacked up fees. Now 100% is client referral, no walk in and I want to build a lasting business relationship with my good clients, so I will do FAFSA forms, respond to CP2000 etc. without any additional charge.

Very interesting. How do you market yourself? Internet ads? Website?

I have a niche practice. I only prepare returns for clergy or religious works, current or retired. In my case my advertising is through word-of-mouth, denominational mailing lists (e-mail only) and denominational print media such as magazines or newspapers/newsletters. While this only produced 40 referrals for 2012, 26 turned into tax returns. I do have a website, however, it is hurting right now.

Like MAMalody, my practice is almost exclusively internet based and clergy-centric. Most of my clients are scattered all around Ohio but I have clients in 21 other states. Many started out here in Ohio but moved; others somehow heard about me and contacted me.

I created my own organizer many years ago and just update it each year (still working on the 2014 update). It's a 9-10 page fillable Word form. I'd be happy to share it with anyone who wants to take a look at it. Just PM me.

• Like 1

I don't think any of my clients would use an organizer (well, maybe one or two). It's an effort to get most of them to sign the engagement letter, the bank account verification document, and the 8879. They think I'm their personal assistant.

You can change that perception in a hurry!. When I first started I used to sort through shoe boxes of receipts, neatly stapling them in bundles by category with a tape of the totals. No more. If they want that service I have an assistant that will do it for $15/hr.

Like MAMalody, my practice is almost exclusively internet based and clergy-centric. Most of my clients are scattered all around Ohio but I have clients in 21 other states. Many started out here in Ohio but moved; others somehow heard about me and contacted me.

I created my own organizer many years ago and just update it each year (still working on the 2014 update). It's a 9-10 page fillable Word form. I'd be happy to share it with anyone who wants to take a look at it. Just PM me.

Did you get my PM?

• 2 weeks later...

That is a problem that haunted me for a long time. Finally I did a survey of my clients and figured out who is going to use an Organizer or checklist and who will just show up at the appointment with a shoebox full of stuff. I have a fellow that likes to use a milk crate for his tax document filing system!

I mail the organizers to those who find it helpful, and if they do it right their fees reflect my appreciation!

We send them out when requested now. So many clients didnt even open them we decided we were wasting paper and postage. Trying to find a way to put them online so clients can access and complete electronically but havent got that one figured out.

Sinply make it a downloadable document on your website. You can make it a Word doc, an Excel doc or even a fillable pdf.

We send them out when requested now. So many clients didnt even open them we decided we were wasting paper and postage. Trying to find a way to put them online so clients can access and complete electronically but havent got that one figured out.

I send my yearly letter and tell them to notify me if they want an Organizer. There are a handful who I know want it and some have already picked them up. Otherwise, yes, a lot of paper and toner was being wasted. Yearly letters went out today.; as did four Organizers.