ATX Community

Working in different locations

carolynm

I'm a sole practitioner, so only one person accessing files at any time. I do have to work out of the office a lot (my daughter spends hours each week at the ice skating rink). What solutions have you found best for keeping files portable. In the past I used to just import and export the files I wanted to work on to flash drive and then transfer back. This is cumbersome and on files with extensions forces me to create duplicates so rather messy.

This year I'm thinking of using an external solid state drive and store my files on that and just plug it in to each computer I work on. Does anyone here have experience with external SSD drives? I want to be sure I'm not putting my data at too much risk. Of course I'll back up to another source fairly regularly but I'd hate to lose data at any time.

Anyone else have a good solution? Storing on the "cloud" is not a good option as the rink doesn't always have good wifi.

Happy New Year

Carolyn

Do you take all the client's source documents to the rink to prepare the return? or are you just working on the calculations of 1 or 2 clients where all the data has been inputed?

In this type of situation, I generally use export to a jump drive and then import into the main computer when I get home. This has always worked for me and the small drive is easy to carry with you. I have mine on a cord that I can hang around my neck if I feel the need for extra security. Export and Import is much more user friendly than backup and restore for moving files.

• Like 1

In the past when I would have a power outage (just installed a generator, so not a problem any more!!), I'd grab my external hard drive and laptop and go to an empty desk at another preparer's site or my chiropractor's office or even a town building providing storm shelter for us. My external hard drive is one of my regular back-up sites and is backed-up to each night. And, if I was expecting a power failure, I'd back up to it often until the power went out so it'd be as current as possible. If the failure was unexpected, I'd still have the external drive as of the last night and then a flash drive with my recent in-progress returns.

I just would work off the external drive, not import or restore to the laptop's drive.

I assumed that carolyn was talking about working with two different computers on the same returns.; as I do. However, if her concern is for files that just need to be saved, I agree with Lion as to the external HD. The backup program that I use actually lets me open and look at files right from the backup.

Yes two different computers same returns. I scan all of my client documents so have them in .pdf format. The problem I've been having with the import/export route is

a) forms not installed on the laptop so I couldn't open the files when I got to my destination

b ) when you import a file with an efiled extension you need to create a new file so I end up with numerous files that I mark "for ext only".

I'm thinking of installing atx on the ssd so it would be up to date and no file moving?

• 3 weeks later...

In the past when I would have a power outage (just installed a generator, so not a problem any more!!), I'd grab my external hard drive and laptop and go to an empty desk at another preparer's site or my chiropractor's office or even a town building providing storm shelter for us. My external hard drive is one of my regular back-up sites and is backed-up to each night. And, if I was expecting a power failure, I'd back up to it often until the power went out so it'd be as current as possible. If the failure was unexpected, I'd still have the external drive as of the last night and then a flash drive with my recent in-progress returns.

I just would work off the external drive, not import or restore to the laptop's drive.

So you work off of a backup on the external hard drive? Don't you have to restore the files and then rebackup? I want something usable on a daily basis. My plan was to store my files on the external drive but I"m trying that right now and the 2nd computer doesn't seem to recognize the files.

So you work off of a backup on the external hard drive? Don't you have to restore the files and then rebackup? I want something usable on a daily basis. My plan was to store my files on the external drive but I"m trying that right now and the 2nd computer doesn't seem to recognize the files.

One more time... Forget all you knew about how the program interacts with computers from ALL previous years.

Setup the computers as a network. One computer must be designated as server and the files will be stored there. The other computer is a workstation.

The methods you are describing are a recipe for data loss and corruption, and the 2013 is NOT designed to operate that way.

I worked in two locations for a while as well. The best for me was the laptop and docking station. Worked perfect. Also, if I have to go to an elderly client's home and yes I have had some bed ridden clients, the laptop and portable printer is a good option for this as well. Folks in my office see a monitor for review that is connected to the dock so they are not looking at a laptop screen.