ATX Community

Network setup

Jesseda3rd

Hello. I am trying to install ATX 2013 over a network. In past years I was able to edit "preferences" on the server. The settings would then carry over on workspace installation.

I called tech support and they told me I would have to adjust the preferences on every single workstation. Before I undertake this timely and arduous task (numerous workstations) - I just wanted to know if anyone was able to find a shortcut, or whether ATX was planning an update in the near future to correct this relationship?

Thanks,

JG

Hello. I am trying to install ATX 2013 over a network. In past years I was able to edit "preferences" on the server. The settings would then carry over on workspace installation.

I called tech support and they told me I would have to adjust the preferences on every single workstation. Before I undertake this timely and arduous task (numerous workstations) - I just wanted to know if anyone was able to find a shortcut, or whether ATX was planning an update in the near future to correct this relationship?

Thanks,

JG

Do NOT change any server preferences. This information is not valid. Allow the program to install in the default locations.

Forget EVERYTHING you knew about previous years of ATX. 2013 is NOT like any prior year except in how it looks when you use it.

Contact me if you need more help.

Has anyone come across this issue yet? If so, what did you do?

The program is a true server based program. Therefore, each machine will have to have program updates done on each machines. I believe the preferences may follow the user, so, each user will have to set the preferences for their login.

This is the price of having a true server based program and the stability that goes with it. If you have not set up users in the security settings, you should do so.

To maintain "consistency", just inform all your staff of the new program requirements and especially tell your I.T. person as well.

• Like 1

It seems to me, having a true "server-based" system, that I *should* be able to make changes at the server that would effect all the workstations in the system.

Things like the clients letter, that I set up *once* in the past, and that I could print from any computer in my system, and have it look the same....

Not anymore, it seems.

That is an additional PITA factor.

And I understand about preferences for each login. I like my forms in the tax return, listed on the left, not the across the top.

Myu staff may like it different. That selection should be local and according to log in.

But having to recreate the client letter at each terminal? And/or other customized master forms like Mailing Slips and Invoices?

Come on...

Rich

It seems to me, having a true "server-based" system, that I *should* be able to make changes at the server that would effect all the workstations in the system.

Things like the clients letter, that I set up *once* in the past, and that I could print from any computer in my system, and have it look the same....

Not anymore, it seems.

That is an additional PITA factor.

And I understand about preferences for each login. I like my forms in the tax return, listed on the left, not the across the top.

Myu staff may like it different. That selection should be local and according to log in.

But having to recreate the client letter at each terminal? And/or other customized master forms like Mailing Slips and Invoices?

Come on...

Rich

if you find that my information is incorrect, please let me know. You asked, I answered.

Customized letters can be saved as templates and accessed by any user.

You must forget EVERYTHING from the past ATX programs. If you keep trying to use the "way it was before" you will spend much wasted time. ATX2013 is NOT LIKE ANY YEARS BEFORE. It is stable and useable.

So to put it on the table...we sacrificed efficiency and consistency for stability? That's not the bargain I was given by the ATX representatives when they assured me they improved program functionality.

I can understand how this can be ideal for one-person operations, however for those of us who have numerous workstations - to have to input each user's preferences is going to be at least a weekend job.

So to put it on the table...we sacrificed efficiency and consistency for stability? That's not the bargain I was given by the ATX representatives when they assured me they improved program functionality.

I can understand how this can be ideal for one-person operations, however for those of us who have numerous workstations - to have to input each user's preferences is going to be at least a weekend job.

In our office, 10 workstations and 8 users, each user sets the preferences the first time they log into the program. Total time: 10 minutes per person. Hardly a weekend job.

In our office, 10 workstations and 8 users, each user sets the preferences the first time they log into the program. Total time: 10 minutes per person. Hardly a weekend job.

I don't use the Standard client letter.

I change all the fonts, rework some of the paragraphs, and change alot of things. So that I can get the cleint letter the way *I* want.

That would take two - three hours after I loaded ATX in the past. Last year, I had to manually create the client letters, cutting and pasting in MS Word to get them right. They worked on the Communications Manager this year, but...

The questions is: Do I have to go and update EACH workstation's client letter or can I just do it once, at the server and have it appear at all workstations?

And If you don't know, that's ok. Cuz, this has nothing to do with preferences...

Rich