ATX Community

For Our Northern Members Getting Arctic Blasts

kcjenkins

I wish I had some ice cleats. Would have helped.

Had to walk gingerly with my snow boots and step on dry spots.

i wish school would cancel tomorrow because the kids who walk to school will not make it!.

YakTrax. Attach to the bottom of your boots. Any outdoor store (and some hardware stores) will have them. However they are NOT magic and if you put your weight where they are not, down you will go. Ask me how I know this...

https://www.yaktrax.com/

and to mail order them -- always try Sierra Trading Post!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~yaktrax/?perPage=96

Who cares if they're last year's color? I get ALL my wool socks from these folks, too.

• Like 2

We got a new Husqvarna snow blower this year (to replace the 30 year old one that still worked but no longer got remotely close to the ground or threw the snow past the driveway). Honest, it has heated handles! The only problem is we were convinced that by buying the new machine, we would be assured of a mild winter with almost no snow to have to blow (kind of like washing your car assures it will rain the next day). Should we ask for our money back?

• Like 4

Is this a house where no one is living for the winter?

When we used to go out of town in the winter, we shutoff the main water valve just as a precaution, and left the faucet at the highest level open. It does prevent pipes from bursting.

• Like 1

We only lost power a few years back at my house during the winter storm that passed through Georgia.

I found the best light solution over the summer.

It is called Luci and made by mpowered.

If you want to search for this affordable alternative for light. I would google search for Luci Light. It was only 15.00 and have more than a few laying around the house and the car. Its light enough (no pun intended) to put in your jacket pocket.

• Like 1

My son gave both my husband and me Dryguy GripOns a couple of winters ago. We've used them to walk out to the mailbox in icy weather. He'd been using them around The Inn at Starlight Lake, PA, for some time. Just stretch them on over shoes or boots. We may drive out to our mailbox today!

Lion -- very similar to YakTrax! Highly recommended.

If you want the best in ice creepers (cleats) try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Stabilicers-Original-Heavy-Traction-Cleat/dp/B003DQURO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389214160&sr=8-3&keywords=stabilicers+ice+cleats

In addition to being sure footed on ice...the cleats are replacible by the user for a very reasonable price.