ATX Community

Accuwage & Java download problems with IE11 and Win 7

jklcpa

Until tonight I could not download Accuwage because of having a combo of Win 7 and IE11. SSA site kept popping up the intercepting page to tell me that Java must be downloaded even though I had it and all setting were as suggested. The SSA technical person and friends also suggested using another browser so I downloaded Firefox tonight. I had to reinstall Java again and was then able to successfully download Accuwage too.

Now I cannot find where to change the setting in Firefox globally to have all webpages appear larger. They are tiny and I would rather avoid the headaches and the zooming on each page I load. I looked at Firefox's help that said I should go to Tools>Options>Content> and from there I could increase the font size, but this did nothing. No pages appeared bigger or different at all. I see there are different methods depending on whether the user has a Mac or PC, and I have a PC.

Is there any way to set up Firefox so that all pages are automatically shown bigger without the Ctrl+ or Ctrl- scrolling?

Until tonight I could not download Accuwage because of having a combo of Win 7 and IE11. SSA site kept popping up the intercepting page to tell me that Java must be downloaded even though I had it and all setting were as suggested. The SSA technical person and friends also suggested using another browser so I downloaded Firefox tonight. I had to reinstall Java again and was then able to successfully download Accuwage too.

Now I cannot find where to change the setting in Firefox globally to have all webpages appear larger. They are tiny and I would rather avoid the headaches and the zooming on each page I load. I looked at Firefox's help that said I should go to Tools>Options>Content> and from there I could increase the font size, but this did nothing. No pages appeared bigger or different at all. I see there are different methods depending on whether the user has a Mac or PC, and I have a PC.

Is there any way to set up Firefox so that all pages are automatically shown bigger without the Ctrl+ or Ctrl- scrolling?

I have stayed using IE. Currently IE11 and have not had the issue you mentioned. Your issue sounds like an anti-virus program or a software firewall.

I don't use FireFox so I have no answer for your question about increasing the size. Try google for the answer.

Jack, I was surprised to have the issue with accuwage. I even called SSA and their tech person said they've had many people with the combo of Win 7 and IE 11 not be able to get past that intercepting page and they have been given no fix for the issue if users are stuck. The person I spoke to said he's personally taken calls from hundreds of people already that have had this issue. Believe me when I say that I checked everything mentioned in their troubleshooting, FAQs, many other settings with Java, internet option settings, UAC. I didn't want to download another browser but with friends saying it's wonderful, I went ahead and did it. All I can say is that it did allow me to get the accuwage, but I am not seeing the speed or anything else that is so wonderful about it; in fact I think it might be slower that IE.

Jack, I was surprised to have the issue with accuwage. I even called SSA and their tech person said they've had many people with the combo of Win 7 and IE 11 not be able to get past that intercepting page and they have been given no fix for the issue if users are stuck. Believe me when I say that I checked everything mentioned in their troubleshooting, FAQs, many other settings with Java, internet option settings, UAC. I didn't want to download another browser but with friends saying it's wonderful, I went ahead and did it. All I can say is that it did allow me to get the accuwage, but I am not seeing the speed or anything else that is so wonderful about it; in fact I think it might be slower that IE.

The issue you described is NOT an issue with WIN7 and IE11. It is poor construction on the SSA website. My son is a software engineer that designs and implements websites. I asked him and he echoed my sentiment.

To verify that he is qualified, check his latest production. http://www.sylvanlearning.com/

It is a wonderful thing to have a son that is much more intelligent than you to keep you up to speed! (I exploit his knowledge and intelligence at every opportunity!)

• Like 1

The issue you described is NOT an issue with WIN7 and IE11. It is poor construction on the SSA website. My son is a software engineer that designs and implements websites. I asked him and he echoed my sentiment.

To verify that he is qualified, check his latest production. http://www.sylvanlearning.com/

It is a wonderful thing to have a son that is much more intelligent than you to keep you up to speed! (I exploit his knowledge and intelligence at every opportunity!)

I'll take your word for the SSA problems, but whatever the problem was, I simply could not get accuwage until I switched to a different browser. I'm stubborn (ha, guess I didn't need to say that) and did not want to download anything else; I tried to make it work and couldn't. I wasted too much time on it and had to find another way.

Did your son do the work on Sylvan's site?

I'll take your word for the SSA problems, but whatever the problem was, I simply could not get accuwage until I switched to a different browser. I'm stubborn (ha, guess I didn't need to say that) and did not want to download anything else; I tried to make it work and couldn't. I wasted too much time on it and had to find another way.

Did your son do the work on Sylvan's site?

He created and implemented it. He also swears by Google Chrome. He spent 3 days at Sylvan headquarters rolling the new website out and making all the configurations to get it working. He also maintains it.

It just makes his day when he "outsmarts" his old man!! (I make a big fuss, but inside I am bursting with pride!!)

• Like 3

He created and implemented it. He also swears by Google Chrome. He spent 3 days at Sylvan headquarters rolling the new website out and making all the configurations to get it working. He also maintains it.

It just makes his day when he "outsmarts" his old man!! (I make a big fuss, but inside I am bursting with pride!!)

Just as you should be, Jack. :wub:

I normally don't upgrade my browser automatically, I am still using Win 7 and IE 9 and I think I will jump to 10 after tax season. I think you should wait for a little bit when IE is updated. If you update automatically, you will have glitches on IE AND on the websites you visit.

Before installing Firefox, did you verify that you Java was correctly installed? Java offers that check for you. Go to IE add ons and make sure all java entries are enable on IE. If Firefox asked you to update your Java, most likely you didn't have the current version installed on your computer.

I normally don't upgrade my browser automatically, I am still using Win 7 and IE 9 and I think I will jump to 10 after tax season. I think you should wait for a little bit when IE is updated. If you update automatically, you will have glitches on IE AND on the websites you visit.

Before installing Firefox, did you verify that you Java was correctly installed? Java offers that check for you. Go to IE add ons and make sure all java entries are enable on IE. If Firefox asked you to update your Java, most likely you didn't have the current version installed on your computer.

Pacun, I did all of that and more. The first thing I did in the entire process was to uninstall everything related to Java and prior year accuwage. The accuwage link would take me to Java and allow the download. Every piece of required Java was on my computer and was verified through the Java site that it was UTD. All components in IE were "enabled". Scripting and proxy settings were correct, and anything else that was mentioned in their guides. When I went back to accuwage, I would get to the "you must download Java" intercepting page and could not go beyond that point. I also verified that the jnlp had the proper association with the web browser to launch it, many other settings were checked. Please believe me, nothing worked.

I considered skipping the accuwage step altogether and just filing the W-2s. The SSA rep did say that if I did that, I could call in if any errors were found that stopped their processing and they could tell me what the problem was over the phone.

Bottom line, I have Firefox and now have the accuwage.

You can change it by going to TOOLS, Options, Content, then under the fonts and colors, you can set the font you want and the size. If that doesn't work, go to your Windows display, and see if you can adjust it there.

I found all of that last night and increased the font from 16 to 30. It is not working. Firefox IS remembering the pages that I've increased by scrolling, but any new page I visit is tiny, smaller than IE set at 100%. The only site that I've found where that setting actually made any difference is craigslist which is mostly text.

ETA - I think I found it. In that same section and clicking the Advanced button, the next screen was showing that the minimum font was set to "none". I've increased that and most pages appear larger now.

Thanks, all.

• Like 1

I have had good success in the past submitting a question to the Firefox user community and have always received several

good answers in less than 24 hours. I have also seen 4 or 5 posts in the last month about different tax & accounting programs

not working well with IE 11.

I have 4 computers at home, 14 at the firm all using IE11, and not a single instance of the trouble you are mentioning. Troubleshooting techs are easy to blame a new version of a web browser instead of looking deep enough to see if the problem is something else that didn't matter in the older browser.

IE11 patched security holes and many other shortcomings that users have complained about for years. Now things like firewalls, Anti-virus, toolbars, internet protection suites, security settings etc,, all make a difference. Easy to blame the new kid than to dig to find the real problem.

Spoken from the experiences I have had. No compatibility issues ANYWHERE with IE11.

jklcpa, I'm glad you found the very easy fix to Firefox pages showing up too small to read. I've been using Firefox for years, from way back when IE was having all sorts of security issues. (I never trusted Microsoft itself to begin with and was glad to be free of them even without their security disasters.) Firefox can do a lot, way more than I'm sure I use. I installed FlashBlock in Firefox, which prevents animated content including ads . A button appears there instead of the ad, slideshow, whatever. If it's content I want to see I just click the button. Otherwise I'm not distracted by bouncing ads when I'm trying to read something serious. I used to get dizzy trying to read anything on an IE page with all the motion all over the place.

• Like 1

Spoken from the experiences I have had. No compatibility issues ANYWHERE with IE11.

I've had issues with IE11 being compatible with some sites. My dental insurance provider's site would not let me pay my bill using v 11, and had a pop-up box that showed up as soon and the page loaded. It would not work even using compatibility view. My comcast homepage works properly, but its email page showed the email list somewhat scrambled. Compatibility view does allow that to appear normally. ETA - add rightsourcerx.com to the list that doesn't like IE11. Logged in and couldn't get past the screen where I'd acknowledged that I'd read and agreed to the TOS.

Some of us here using IE11 had problems back in early- to mid-December on this forum when the copy/paste functions and some of the formatting functions weren't working properly. Do you remember that Jack, where it seems you were having those problems also, and where Eric put some workarounds in place? :

Edited by jklcpa
added another site not working with IE11

I've had issues with IE11 being compatible with some sites. My dental insurance provider's site would not let me pay my bill using v 11, and had a pop-up box that showed up as soon and the page loaded. It would not work even using compatibility view. My comcast homepage works properly, but its email page showed the email list somewhat scrambled. Compatibility view does allow that to appear normally.

Some of us here using IE11 had problems back in early- to mid-December on this forum when the copy/paste functions and some of the formatting functions weren't working properly. Do you remember that Jack, where it seems you were having those problems also, and where Eric put some workarounds in place? :

Eric made changes to the site. I did not implement any of the workarounds he suggested. No problems since the changes were made to the site.

> Spoken from the experiences I have had. No compatibility issues ANYWHERE with IE11.

Morningstar also has problems with their portfolio program on IE11. Message that Java must be updated, followed by sequence of messages saying Java is up-to-date, must be updated, is up-to-date, must be updated, ...

Chrome works fine.

Judy in Firefox go to "Tools" - "Options" - "Content" - "Advanced" and change the font name and /or size there.

Redux, thanks I did find that and got it working. My problem appeared to be in that Advanced section it was showing that the minimum font was set to "none". I've increased that and most pages appear larger now.