ATX Community

OneDesk Users

Terry D EA

I have been reviewing and have purchased the OneDesk software for this season. So far, I am impressed with the features and am still learning a lot. Just wondering how many OneDesk users there are here? It would be helpful if there are others that can collaborate together to help with issues as they may or may not arise.

I got it last year for testing, but I couldn't convert my "big bad" return that I was using for testing. So I didn't do any other testing. They did send me a CD for 2013, so I'll keep it as a back-up software. I bought the basic ATX, so it (OneDesk) might come in handy if I need more states.

I went to OneDesk (reseller for OLTPro) last year when TRX wasn't working (end of January). I just can't trust TRX so yes, I renewed for the 2013 season with OneDesk. I find the customer service to be good. I had a few program problems last year that were fixed quickly - one was no farm option on the 2210, there was another one but I don't recall what it was. Updates run smoothly. The only thing I don't like are the client letters so, I have my own that I produce in MSWord.

A word of caution on Depreciation - if you override the Accumulated Depr in the current year the program will hold it for next year as well. So, you will need to update the AD next year to include the 2013 Depreciation taken this year. Did that make sense?

If there is anything I can help you with just post it here and if I have an answer I'll let you know.

My blood pressure is much lower this year and I can actually relax and enjoy my work again. :)

Nellie

I don't have any other software as a backup and so far, I haven't had any of the difficulties that the ATX users are having. Granted, each software package is different and has it's own quirks but there is something to be said about peace of mind and not having to fight or question the functionality each time you complete a return. The only issue I have had wit OneDesk so far is downloading updates. With that said, the issue apparently fixed itself and it is working normal now. Could have been my ISP or a possible port blockage issue on my machine. There is a manual work around but now it is not needed. I am looking forward to a (software) trouble free season.

Nellie,

Are you aware there is a way to import your MS Word document into OneDesk? I didn't like their cover page and I felt the privacy statement was lacking a little so I put my own in there and they print just fine with each return. I would be happy tell you how to do this if you want.

On another note, I am calculating my own depreciation and entering on the 4562. I am kind of anal about trusting software to properly carry the accumulated depreciation but thanks for the heads up.

Terry,

I would appreciate that. I think I tried to do that last year but my nerves were just too frazzled after the TRX mess.

I have found that at times the program will not see the internet so, each morning I start the program, do not log in but instead go to 'check for updates'. If the program says I am not connected to the internet I close it and restart it. Not seeing the internet caused updates not to load. Restarting the program usually solves the issue and updates come right in.

Thanks.

Here is a couple of suggestions. Check your firewall within windows to see if it is possible the OneDesk software and live update are being blocked. I had to check mine and included the OneDesk software and Onedesk live update in the exceptions list. Other than that, Dan at support maybe able to get you help with this. I had this very problem but is now gone and other than setting the exceptions, I don't have a good answer.

Here are the steps to add a custom letter:

1. Click on setup

2. Click on settings then manage/standard letter

3. Type the name of the letter in the space at the top of the window.

4. Minimize OneDesk

5. Open the template/document you have created and copy it and if you use key strokes Ctrl/C

6. Expand OneDesk and paste the template in the large window.

7. After the document is pasted you can move the items around, bold the font; etc. You can also put in items from within the program from the thumbnail window on the left

8. Once you have the document the way you want it, click ADD Letter at the bottom right of the large window

your letter/document should appear in the side window under existing letters.

9. Now once you complete the return and click on print/view, your letter/document will appear there to be printed with the rest of the return.

Let me know if I can help any further

There is one thing that I have discovered that I am not pleased with. I am in NC and NC is rejecting the returns due to the software has not been approved for e-filing. Through many conversations with Dan in support, this was never revealed to me. Now I want to know why I wasn't told this and when they anticipate the software being approved. I have not dealt with unapproved software since I left ATX 7 years ago.

Apparently is was an alignment problem of some sort when the returns were transmitted from the OneDesks servers. Dan said it would be fixed and we would see NC ACKS. And that too appears correct as I have received them as well. I am beginning to like the software more and more. Based on the general discussion, I am glad that I didn't choose to go with ATX this year. I did consider it but quickly chose not to.

• 2 weeks later...

I use OLTPRO - desktop. Have had 2 problems this year with the software and while one was an easy fix around and didn't appear on any other returns by one, the other has lingered unfixed since last Friday. Their support last year was exceptionally quick, this year not so much. Don't know if they are having a problem. Guy today said a fix would be coming as soon as the engineers can get to it.

It's not a major problem, really just a finishing up problem because I have the return done essentially.

I really like the software and it really rolled everything forward nicely from last season.

Are you using the software for individuals only or for businesses as well? I am using the OneDesk for both. I do like the way it functions but have discovered some problems on the business end. First off, there is no fixed asset manager. I reported this and their support (Dan) said it would be an item for next year. Also, there is an error with completing a 1065 return with form 8825 in it. I have only one 8825 form with seven properties on it and get the error that only one 8825 can be attached. This too is supposed to be fixed. It appears they are light on the letters as well. I have been unable to find the partner/shareholder k-1 letters and page 2. We used a work around to get to the print view menu and the letter is not there either. I know last year in TaxSlayer Pro, the letter didn't appear until you printed the return. I hope that is the same with OneDesk.

If they get these little problems solved, then it will be good software. I have had no e-filing problems other than the NC problem and it was fixed right away. I am hopeful for a good year with OneDesk.

Desktop allows business returns.

The 8825 is what I'm having a problem with. It wasn't a problem last year so it should be an easy fix but I've been waiting a week on it. If you have 1-property, it's also not a problem. It's when you add that second property, for some reason the software identifies it as two separate 8825's even though only one form is generated. Odd. Engineering is supposedly working on it. The client is being patient but they've held up the rest of the 1065's I handle for them until this one is complete.

Why did you go with a reseller instead of just buying from OLTPRO? OLTPRO renews at the same price OneDesk resells at.

Don't update to Adobe Reader 11. My computer had a problem with it via OLTPRO.

Make sure you have the latest update for the DeskTop version. OneDesk updated the software for the exact problem with the 8825 you are speaking of. I did incurr the identical problem but now through the last update it is fixed.

Not sure why I went with a reseller. I guess the main reason is because I used it briefly last year so I was a little famailar with it. It doesn't appear there are any differences in functionality. Also, if you noticed the K-1's for partnerships and S-Corps appear to not generate a cover letter with instructions. I was told they were going to try to get this fixed as well. Page 2 of the K-1 with code descriptions will print but as far as I can tell no letter.

I got it last year after the TRX fiasco and am using it again this year. I like it a lot, easy to use. Haven't figured out "all" the features yet. But I was up and running and using the program in under an hour

ONE PROBLEM: for some reason my phone number is not printing on the returns this year and I cannot figure out why.

Nellie,

Are you aware there is a way to import your MS Word document into OneDesk? I didn't like their cover page and I felt the privacy statement was lacking a little so I put my own in there and they print just fine with each return. I would be happy tell you how to do this if you want.

On another note, I am calculating my own depreciation and entering on the 4562. I am kind of anal about trusting software to properly carry the accumulated depreciation but thanks for the heads up.

I would love to know how to do that. Thanks

Initially create the document you want to include in the software in MSWord or some other word processing program. Then follow the directions below.

Also, make sure you check the box that indicates you want the custome letter to be visible in the print window.

1. Click on setup

4. Minimize OneDesk

5. Open the template/document you have created and copy it and if you use key strokes Ctrl/C

7. After the document is pasted you can move the items around, bold the font; etc. You can also put in items from within the program from the thumbnail window on the left

8. Once you have the document the way you want it, click ADD Letter at the bottom right of the large window

9. Now once you complete the return and click on print/view, your letter/document will appear there to be printed with the rest of the return.

Initially create the document you want to include in the software in MSWord or some other word processing program. Then follow the directions below.

Also, make sure you check the box that indicates you want the custome letter to be visible in the print window.

1. Click on setup

4. Minimize OneDesk

Thanks Terry

Oh, make a list throughout the season of things you'd like adjusted / changed about the software and let them know after the season.

OLTPRO incorporated 1 of my suggestions and I'll repeat the others again.

I'm using Drake software for a specific client. Wow, I'm not a fan. I know people tend to love it and I've only done 5 returns with it so far but yuck.

• 1 month later...

One of the really annoying things about OLTPRO is that if you apply a refund to next years return, the software just flat out ignores it when you roll forward.

That's just ultra basic and I told them it was a problem last year and it's still a problem.

I've made .pdf files of every return from last year and open them so I can easily view and compare to last year so I'm not missing junk like this but seriously, pathetic. Makes me wonder what else isn't rolling forward.