ATX Community

Another reject problem.. dec'd taxpayer

taxtrio

FYI: Efiled return with husband(primary Taxpayer, as usual) Dec'd Feb 2013. Wife filing as surviving spouse.

Dec'd and date of death on 1040 pg 1. "Filing as surviving spouse" in his signature block page 2 of 1040. All as should be.

Return rejected code IND-901. Information shows Social Security has locked the social security number as taxpayer is deceased.

End of reject message says to put deceased on page 1.

Well dec'd is on page 1. I called IRS Efile desk. They checked and said that the "lock" by social security appears to be a generic one.. not specific to this tax return.

She said to paper file return. OK..

My question to her was... Is this going to happen to ALL dec'd taxpayers this year, and if so... can the IRS send us out a preparer alert notice so we know ahead of time? She said my call was the first they knew about this lock by Soc Sec Admin on dec'd person's soc sec number. With all the fraudulent returns for dec'd people

it makes sense they are trying to add more security to the system. I hope they update us on this soon.

Now this client will have to drive back from across town.. or I will mail her the filing copies. I may just print out a filing copy in expectation of the reject and give it to my clients in their folder explaining that I might call them and have them mail it in later, if needed.

As I said... FYI... I will look back to hear if anyone else has had this problem. Early in the efiling year... lot's of fun to come!

• 3 weeks later...

the "company store" board has pursued this problem.

bottom line, some efiles have gone through and others have been rejected/"locked".

there probably is a reason for why or why not, but...?

suggestions if locked...

surviving spouse call soc sec to see why locked...no way!

paper file...please!

I have one...with a bail out solution for me.

they were not required to file (no fed/state withholding/refunds).

I was only filing to establish big nursing home med expenses.

now, so far, I just won't file.

From the March 5 NATP newsletter ...

Some Decedent Returns Being Rejected

The IRS has discovered a programming glitch involving some accounts for decedents who passed in 2013. Any returns attempting to process electronically for taxpayers deceased in 2013 are incorrectly rejecting from MeF processing. Programmers are looking into the problem and the IRS anticipates a fix in the near future. Until the programming has been resolved, the IRS recommends paper filing the return.

The key word is some. I had one accepted on March 1 with no problems.

• Like 1