ATX Community

Once Again, Drake Reminds Me Why I Switched

JohnH

I decided to devote some time this morning to updating several macros I had written last year to speed up several data entry steps. I was thinking I'd have to re-write the macros. But when I went to edit, I found that Drake had moved my existing macros into the 2013 program, so all I needed to do was edit a few line entries and I was done. It's really nice to work with a program that anticipates things like this and does them for you.

• Like 4

I decided to devote some time this morning to updating several macros I had written last year to speed up several data entry steps. I was thinking I'd have to re-write the macros. But when I went to edit, I found that Drake had moved my existing macros into the 2013 program, so all I needed to do was edit a few line entries and I was done. It's really nice to work with a program that anticipates things like this and does themWhat is a

What is a MACRO and how does it work?

What is a MACRO and how does it work?

It's a combo of keys that automates the data entry for repetitive things you do all the time. Drake has some that are predefined, and you can make more that are custom to your needs. For example, I have one that enters the dates and PINs on the PIN screen no matter what screen I am on by pressing the ALT & P keys together. I have it set up to do the entries and to remain on the PIN screen, but I could have set it to handle all the entries and return to the demographics screen instead.

Judy explained it well. Most macros are written in such a way that they will perform an automated or repetitive task from anywhere within the program, although you can write them to begin their work while you are in a particular form. It's a little difficult to explain if you aren't familiar with them. But if you will go through the steps to write one or two simple ones, you will quickly appreciate their potential.

There are several places on the Drake Forum where Macros are discussed in detail, and a number of users have shared their Macros there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GOt

I decided to devote some time this morning to updating several macros I had written last year to speed up several data entry steps. I was thinking I'd have to re-write the macros. But when I went to edit, I found that Drake had moved my existing macros into the 2013 program, so all I needed to do was edit a few line entries and I was done. It's really nice to work with a program that anticipates things like this and does them for you.

John, what macros are you using?

And as for being reminded why I switched to Drake... For the first time in YEARS, my season is smooth and I am keeping ahead of the game, thanks to Drake's speed.

In fact so smooth this year, that for the first time in almost 15 years (about how long I used ATX for) I was able to go golfing in Tax Season. Ahhh pressure OFF!

I totally agree. I was hesitant to switch, but I took over someone's accounting practice who used Drake. So, I thought that would be a better fit. And, I was very frustrated with the slowness, the printing difficulties and the times I lost data and had to backup, etc.

I was with ATX from the time that Parsons was sold to Intuit. Was that 1998 or so?

Most of my macros are specific to my states and other things unique to my practice, but here are a couple of them, just to provide an idea of how they work:

Alt-C: 8888>Y>>>>>>x>~ (Fills in blanks on the Fed Refund Deposit field, so the client can enter their info by hand, if they wish)

Alt-W: SC>1>>>>>>x>~4>>>>>>>>>>>x~~ (Goes to the South Carolina return to check a box to request a paper check rather than a debit card for the refund, then checks a box that says they have no sales tax to report for internet sales)

Alt-Z: 99G>>>>56-1611838>State of North Carolina>Department of Revenue>PO Box 25000>Raleigh> NC>27640-0001>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2012< (Goes to the State Tax Refund screen, fills in all relevant data, then backs up to the "Amount" field to wait for input for state tax refund)

Alt-X: 8948>>>x>20130nnnn>02202013>~ (Fills in the 8948 for me - I redacted my actual e-flinging exemption number with the "nnnn)

All my Alt-(?) macros launch from the "General" screen. They usually return there as well, except for the ones which pause to wait for input, such as the Alt-Z. Incidentally, a nice variation of the Alt-Z can be done for reporting unemployment compensation.

• 1 month later...

I had a return extension yesterday that the state rejected. I left it be, to deal with today.

Never got there -- DRAKE support called ME to let me know the state (only) rejected the extension (some stupid spurious character in a state field), and wanted to walk me through fixing it.

WOW.

• Like 1

I have emailed Drake twice this season and received the usual "will respond in x amount of hours or days" (can't remember which). Barely had time to delete the message when the answer arrived. Totally impressed with the software AND support.

• Like 2

I called support yesterday too. The call was answered on the 2nd ring, emailed a file with the input, and personnel couldn't get to the solution on my state input problem right away and said she'd call back. I solved it on my own a few minutes later and sent her another email saying I no longer needed assistance. She called me back anyway just to follow up because she said she would, and she thanked me for letting her know. :)

• Like 1

Between the Drake input screens and broker compliance in 1099-B reports this year, I've even stopped foaming at the mouth when clients bring in reports with multiple sales. Drake still need to make one or two tweaks to the spreadsheet layout to streamline the process even more, but what they have is very easy and well thought out. I'm beginning to be happy IRS made the changes for broker reporting.

I had a return extension yesterday that the state rejected. I left it be, to deal with today.

Never got there -- DRAKE support called ME to let me know the state (only) rejected the extension (some stupid spurious character in a state field), and wanted to walk me through fixing it.

WOW.

Similar call from Drake for me. They called to let me know a return was rejected and that I had not dealt with it yet. It was a retun I converted to a paper file, but Drake did not know this.

What service! I was amazed!

• Like 2

"And on top of everything else, they sent a nice Easter card "

AND a thank you video for using Drake!

My only complaint with Drake this year is I used HALF the paper and toner than with ATX. Drake actually printed what I wanted.

• Like 1

This season seemed easier than in many years, and I attribute that in part to Drake. I, too, used much less paper, file folders and toner than in the past. I went totally paperless for the individual returns and also launched my scanner from within Drake's document manager with its predefined document names. I found that to be a great feature along with the ability to add names to that list that I used all the time.

I made some big changes this year: paperless, the new scanner, the secure drop off box, and handled some returns totally by electronic means, accepting payments via Paypal.

It was nice not having to worry over the software and to know that Drake would handle the returns. I didn't have any trouble with the software and didn't have any rejects, including those with one of the spouses as deceased.

• 11 months later...

The $400 discount is in effect thru May 2015.

Yep, and for the 3 years I've been using it the price hasn't increased, and probably hadn't before that.  I don't miss those annual 10% price increases from ATX each year or their "handling" fee tacked on either.   

It's much more for much less. 

It's lightening fast so I can prepare more returns

More easily prepared

Handles out-of-state credits without any fiddling around like ATX required that was a big time suck

Allowed me to easily convert to paperless by using their integrated document manager

Program, document manager, and scanner all work seamlessly together

Integrated email to contact clients or Drake and attach anything or all from return

Automatically password protects and encrypts files for emailing or storage

Great price and negotiates a great discount on tax research

• Like 1