ATX Community

Ex wife illegally claimed the kids.

DANRVAN

Ms TabbyKats, parents are supposed to support their kids. So get it out of your head that support means a parent can claim a child. Look over the definition of qualifying child and you'll find that support isn't even in the equation (except that the child can't provide more than half his or her own support). The critical issue in who can claim a child is physical custody. If the child lives with Mom the majority of the time, Mom has custody. Only Mom can claim that child unless she chooses to sign the 8332. If a court orders her to and she doesn't, it's a civil matter. The IRS isn't persuaded by civil courts.

We had clients last year who divorced in the fall and their decree ordered them to file jointly! Now which rule do we follow...the IRS one about marital status on the last day of the year or a civil judge who obviously doesn't know a thing about Title 26 (the Internal Revenue Code)?

• Like 1

Sorry for the user name confusion. My original user name on some other boards was Ranger. That was taken by another user (who seldom posted) on the original ATX board so I became DANRVAN there and I carried that over to this board. Then I started using Ranger which (was not taken on this board) to be consistent between the boards. I have not been consistent here and one is remembered on my laptop so they got crossed when I used it instead of the desktop.

I will try to delete one of the usernames to prevent further confusion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pacun I am following your advice and will attach a statement explaining the situation along with a detailed list of custody dates. I have pasted a rough draft of the statement.

Based on your experience, can you tell me what action to expect from the IRS?

Thanks,

Dan.

STATEMENT OF CUSTODY

My federal income tax return for the year 2013 was electronically filed and rejected. The rejection message indicates my ex wife claimed my two children for whom I am entitled to claim per Internal Revenue Code Sec. 152(e)(4)(A).

I am the parent that had custody of the children for the greater portion of the calendar year. The attached worksheet shows that I had custody of the children for 194 nights for the tax year 2013.

My ex wife and I separated in 2012. She moved to a location over three hours away. The children were with me for the first week of January 2013. From then until June 15th the children spent every other weekend with me as well as a week during spring vacation. The children were also with me from June 15 to June 28.

The children were then with me from July 6 to August 26. That included a time period my ex wife was ordered by the court to have no physical contact with the children. On August 23 I was awarded custody of the children by the court.

From that date until the end of the year, my ex wife was allowed to have the children every other weekend and for five days during Thanksgiving. Those dates are also reflected on the attached worksheet. I have also attached a copy of the court papers as support of the amount of time the children spent with me after the court date.

I believe the above statements to be true and accurate.

________________________ _________

JOHN X DOE DATE

Dan, your statement is a good start, I think. While the court order does not control, as you clearly understand, testimony in court does help in establishing what did in fact happen, and clearly that is how you are using it. Good luck, just warn the client not to expect a rapid response.

• 2 months later...