ATX Community

Vacation during tax season

ILLMAS

I did! Left Monday evening at 8:00 PM. Went to a luxury suite at a hotel 60 miles away and did not get back till yesterday evening at 8:00. BTW, yesterday was my 19th wedding anniversary. We ate at nice restaurants, went to a movie at an IMAX theater and were the only people there!! No phones, no computers.

Did not want to come back home!!!

• Like 7

Mardi Gras here in New Orleans in next Tuesday. Several years I left the Friday before Mardi Gras and went to Natchez MS to ride my bike there. Some years I just went to work on Mardi Gras day; depends on how I'm doing that year. This year I plan to work Monday before Mardi Gras, drive to St Francisville after work and spend Mardi Gras day catching up with good friends.

So, yes, I do take a mini vacation, most years.

Last year, I took off 4 days in March and went to Colorado with my son, girlfriend and sister so that they could ski. I paid dearly for it when I got back, but it was worth it to spend the time with him and take a little break. Once he graduates from college, he will probably move to an airline hub (if he can afford it) so that he doesn't have to commute so far to work and I will be pretty lonesome.

I went to an event Saturday night because I missed my friends. They were VERY surprised to see me turn up.

I didn't go to a meeting last night because my last client left at 8:15pm and the meeting ended at 9, so I missed most of it. Why so late? It was a pickup and the dear client paid in cash even. She works at another tax firm, so she definitely understands.

Why is she my client? Doesn't want a conflict of interest with her S-corp with 15 shareholders. And yes, I get great docs from her!

I rarely do . . . but this year I did go to the Amazon basin in Brazil for two weeks from Jan 29 - Feb 11. I'm on the board of a missions group and that was the only time everyone else could go. We did a board meeting and some missions work. It made for a bizarre year-end processing season in January and frantic catch up since returning . . . but it was worth it. The only problem was it was 85 when I got on the plane to come home and 8 when I got off the plane in Columbus (OH). You'd think someone could have arranged a warmer welcome!

Back in 2005 my mother died on March 17 and a few years before that my sister died on April 8. In both cases I had to take some time off. I was somehow able to make it all happen but it was misery upon misery.

• Like 3

No work on Sunday. Family time. All call goes to answering machine. That is my vacation.

Me, too. We go to church, eat lunch, and sit in the living room watching TV and talking. It's like heaven. Also caught church tonight. It was like an AA meeting. Attitude Adjustment.

• Like 4

I consider it a vacation when I have a day with no or few appointments scheduled and the phone isn't ringing every fifteen minutes. I actually get some work done. Today is such a day. Tomorrow, back to Nuttsville!

This year, we hired a virtual admin to answer our phones. BEST DECISION EVER.