ATX Community

First low resource of the year

ILLMAS

I had that a few days ago....and I did not have ANY returns open! I had not had that error before and fortunately not again since....But I have no clue why....I have had multiple years of ATX running at same time...with multiple returns open in both...while also having Internet Explorer, Outlook, Excel, and Itunes running with no problems....then out of nowhere while only Outlook and ATX are running (no open returns), I get a low resource message and ATX shuts down....Hmmmm

Vityaba does have a point. Yes, on a regular basis I would have 6 or more programs open at once and for many hours a day: 2 years of ATX, Quickbooks, Thomson Creative Solutions Fixed Assets (the Ultra Tax deprec module), Word, and Excel, plus Adobe Reader or Acrobat. Then you can add in the internet and the background programs that are running like the anti-virus, and the updaters for the deprec and Quickbooks programs that were running. On top of all of that, there would be the PPC research library that I'd open too, or the Roxio photo editor that I'd open a few times a week. I used to never shut the computer down at night either, so the only time it was shut off or rebooted was when a program update required it. I've never ever had a low resource warning, never.

This current computer is on from about 6am until 2am the following morning, and I don't ever have to reboot, and still have much of that running during the day except now it is Drake.

ATX has always been a memory hog and has gotten dramatically worse in the last two years, and it apparently still has some other big issues too.

• Like 1

Ok, then because other programs do not use as many system resources, you should not follow my advice.

Seems logical to question a solution because no other programs require it?

Just leave your systems on continuously all day and all night, it will make things much more productive.

For the record, system resources have been an issue since WIN 95 for users that use programs that require real computing power.

SMH :wall:

Ok, then because other programs do not use as many system resources, you should not follow my advice.

Just leave your systems on continuously all day and all night, it will make things much more productive.

For the record, system resources have been an issue since WIN 95 for users that use programs that require real computing power.

Jack, don't twist around what I said. I never said that people running ATX shouldn't reboot, if that's what it takes to run the chosen program.

You made a statement that people didn't have that many programs running. Well, you were wrong there so you chose to go on the attack and try to insult me by saying that those programs don't have any computing power. That just shows that you don't have a valid point to make if that's what you have to resort to. I don't really care what you say about these programs because they are all typical of programs that many of us might be using, and I did have all of those programs running all at the same time.

You also tried to twist around my statement about leaving the computer on all of the time. I never said that leaving the computer on would make anything more productive, only that I was able to do it and having all of those programs running without ever having to reboot, and never having a low resource problem. I do recall many people, probably those with lesser memory, having to reboot during the day though.

You can bang your head all you like, and in fact, you probably are doing just that every day as problems continue to crop up with your beloved ATX.

ATX has always uses a lot of memory, and it got much worse starting last year, and it has some serious problems again this year. I guess you don't think filling up user's hard drives is any problem at all either. You simply cannot admit that there is anything at all wrong with ATX. Is that against the NDA too? :wall:

Does this mean that you've changed your routine with your computers and are now turning them off and rebooting a couple of times a day for your own computers and those at the firm? Or are those computers not using programs that use "real computing power"? I ask because back in November you said this, albeit on a slightly different topic :

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

I/we leave all computers on 24/7. Been doing this for over 7 years. No issues. The concept that you must turn computers off when they are not being used is an urban myth. At the firm, we have some computers that have only been turned off for maintenance or occasional reboots for 5 years.

Does this mean that you've changed your routine with your computers and are now turning them off and rebooting a couple of times a day for your own computers and those at the firm? Or are those computers not using programs that use "real computing power"? I ask because back in November you said this, albeit on a slightly different topic :

Reboot does not mean turn off.

Choose the path you wish to follow.

Make fun of my observations and recommendations. Join the ranks of those that doubt any advice developed from persons who have made an intentional effort to understand the issue, as well as current up to the minute first hand experience in the matter.

Your computer skills above being a user are being clearly defined by your responses.

What Jack is trying to say is that ATX is a piece of shit and hogs resources because it is not designed properly and the only way to combat this is to restart ones system.

>>>>>"Your computer skills above being a user are being clearly defined by your responses."<<<<<

Isn't that what we are - users? If we were computer programmers/technicians most of us probably wouldn't be tax preparers.

Tax preparers should not have to re-boot a computer every few hours just to make a program run. IMO, but I'm just a user.

• Like 1

Reboot your entire system every 4 hours of use. This is Windows problem of dwindling system resources.

Jack, I don't think so! I am Not using ATX, but using and routinely running 7 to 10 programs concurrently, including 2 QuickBooks windows (a known resource hog) and NEVER EVER receive that message.

Yet a few of my friends using ATX often do. Sadly I had to tell them to reboot their computers every time ATX leaks resources.

And yes I still provide ATX support to several of my friends that I brought to the software years ago.

• Like 1

Jack you know not what you speak - turn around is fair play

At our firm, following my recommendations, we have had 1 hour down time since Feb. 1, 2014. Minor instances of any of the pesky problems and the smoothest season since 2010. I do know of what I speak.

Domain server and 10 workstations with as many as 8 people using the program simultaneously.

Firm is open 9-9 Mon-Fri and 9-4 Sat & Sun. Results speak for themselves.

The only thing that changes when you reboot, is a complete reset of WINDOWS SYSTEM RESOURCES. Do you run tens of tax preparation programs on a daily basis? Your question has no basis.

BTW Jack, I run multiple copies of Drake simultaneously and not just multiple years and still no Resource Limit messages.

Face it Jack, it is an ATX problem. The fact that you found a workaround to deal with the problem, doesn't change that the ATX problem exists.

• Like 1

From my decades of experience in IT, Jack's advice is sound. Windows has always maintained "resources" that are hidden from the user (think of them as "lists" which get built, consulted, then destroyed) and which run low or become totally exhausted, due to how cranky the applications are. For the common user, the only practical way to recover from a low-resource state is to restart Windows. There may be ways of running utilities that act like the normal garbage-collection processes of Windows that recover some of these inefficiently-allocated resources... but like I said, for the common user, the solution is to reboot.

From my decades of experience in IT, Jack's advice is sound. Windows has always maintained "resources" that are hidden from the user (think of them as "lists" which get built, consulted, then destroyed) and which run low or become totally exhausted, due to how cranky the applications are. For the common user, the only practical way to recover from a low-resource state is to restart Windows. There may be ways of running utilities that act like the normal garbage-collection processes of Windows that recover some of these inefficiently-allocated resources... but like I said, for the common user, the solution is to reboot.

I have received this error message in ATX 2013 a few times on a new machine with 16GB of RAM. As Jack said, it is resolved by rebooting the PC.

While both these statements are true, this doesn't change the fact that ATX is still not dealing with memory leaks that exacerbate the problem.

There should be no reason to have to reboot every 4 hours, unless a program is misbehaving. Jack simply came up with a workaround to fix a problem/bug in the ATX software. A solution I had previously recommended to friends of mine that are still using ATX.

KC, not sure why you would stop a discussion with simple differences of opinion on a PC technical matter. No one, with the possible exception of Jack has made any comment that is inappropriate or abusive.

I understand your are the Admin and can do anything you want, but it would be helpful if you please explain your rational here.

• Like 2

Joel, the thread has everyone agreeing that rebooting deals with it, and acknowledges that ATX is working on fixing it, so what's the point of just going on and on about it? No one has made any comment that is inappropriate or abusive, but it seems like it's some of you just want to keep on beating the drum about how the problem should not exist, which is not helpful. That just stirs up people to no purpose.

I am not trying to be a dictator, Joel. I'm just ASKING that we move on, and not make it personal, please.