ATX Community

TROUBLE with UPDATE!! Now I figured it out!!

Jack from Ohio

Here are my experiences.

If you have a standalone, just go ahead and install the update. You will have to click retry MANY times to accomplish the update and opening the program the first time after.

With a network:

1. ABSOLUTELY update the server machine first and make sure all computers have the ATX2013 program shut OFF.
  2. If a server only machine, download the update from the site and run it.
  3. If you have a server w/workstation, do the update through the program. Be ready to click retry many times.
  4. Wait for at least 5 minutes before updating the program on any workstation. The server will perform a total program backup and this will cause any workstations to receive multiple "server retry" errors till the backup is complete.
  5. Update workstations one at a time. When the update is done on a workstation, close the program.
  6. Wait for at least 5 minutes before updating the program on another workstation. The server will perform a total program backup and this will cause any workstations to receive multiple "server retry" errors till the backup is complete.
  7. Update each workstation following steps 5 & 6 till all have been done.
  8. Once all the updates are installed, program should open and work as normal.

Updated by Jack at 12:10 EDT. per my post below.

Edited by Jack from Ohio

I have a stand alone install. Did the update. My machine slowed to a crawl. All resources maxed out. Rebooted. Now everything is running fine.

I generally reboot after major upgrades/updates anyway. This time everything went south before I had a chance to.

You might want to close just about everything else before installing the update. And I would definitely reboot afterward.

I guess both people that have issues didn't follow the instructions 100%. Whenever you are going to upgrade ANY software, you need to close other programs. Whenever you are going to upgrade a SERVER software, you need to close that application on the workstations AND do the update first on the server.

Thank you for sharing your mistakes. I thought the update was full of flows when you opened up 1040s, but I am glad that once you upgrade, everything is working properly.

• Like 1

I have co-workers that ignore my instructions consistently. Had everyone followed my instructions this morning, there would have been no issues.

Just thought I would help prevent problems for others.

I have given all those that did not follow my instructions "THE LOOK" (as if it will make any difference) and now I feel much better.

When the next update comes along I will play the same game, only this time I will run around and shut down the computers of those that don't comply.

Just what we need on the last week of March....

We have removed the ATX tax and FAM 13.5 updates while we investigate an issue related to opening returns that were marked complete in 2012 and rolled over into 2013. Our Development Team is working diligently on a resolution, and we will release more information as soon as it is available. If you have returns that will not open after installing 13.5, please take no action on those returns until we post a resolution. Thank you for your patience.

Posted by
Stephanie Bradford at 2:46PM
  • Like 1

Oh lovely, I updated after reading this thread about standing alone. I couldn't stand the constant interruptions reminding me to "please update"! No problems detected, though, so far. Thanks Jack for the guidance and thanks Rita for the humor. We need both in these final weeks.

• Like 1

Oh lovely, I updated after reading this thread about standing alone. I couldn't stand the constant interruptions reminding me to "please update"! No problems detected, though, so far. Thanks Jack for the guidance and thanks Rita for the humor. We need both in these final weeks.

I am out of "likes" or I would like that. This is no way to live.

• Like 1