ATX Community

Form 4868 Lock Amount Problem

Riverview Ron

When I try to e-file Form 4868 for a partially completed tax return, I get an error message saying locked amount must be checked. The client is not making a payment as the return is not complete and the amount with the extension is incorrect.

ATX will only allow one box to be checked so I cannot have all zeros on the 4868 and Lock Amount checked at the same time. How do I e-file the 4868?

When I try to e-file Form 4868 for a partially completed tax return, I get an error message saying locked amount must be checked. The client is not making a payment as the return is not complete and the amount with the extension is incorrect.

ATX will only allow one box to be checked so I cannot have all zeros on the 4868 and Lock Amount checked at the same time. How do I e-file the 4868?

In order to get a 4868 with no dollar amounts, you must e-file it before you input any numbers.

Options.

1. Allow the numbers to stay and override the amount paid.
  2. Override all the dollar figures, print and mail the extension.
  3. Duplicate the return, remove all information and efile the 4868
  4. Create another return with just 1040 and 4868. Input names address and SS# This will allow the 4868 to efile.

Note: If you choose #3 or #4 you should change the file name to indicate extension only

you can change the amount to paid as zero without overriding the entry. then lock and efile. the 4868 doesn't do anything else to the return when you finish working on it. The only thing that carries over to the 1040 is the amount paid but if you change to the correct amount paid you are ok to lock and e-file. plus you don't want all zero's unless that is the case. leave the W/H or estimates made on it. I don't send an extension with all zero's unless true. I would over estimate on liability .

• Like 1

I just want to go on the record as saying I hate the extension process and the whole concept of having to file for an "automatic" extension with a reasonable estimate of the tax liability, or the IRS can (and has) reject it.

No tax software I've ever used has made the process automated or easy.

My idea: if you don't file by the 15th you automatically have until 10/15. No "request" made to the IRS is necessary. That's why I think when I hear the word "automatic".

As for ATX, we used the batch process to create (and print - we turned our printer off then killed the print queue) zero amount extensions. Then we're going into each unfinished return and overriding the tax amount and the amount paid payments so no amount is owed. Check the lock box, put in our PIN and create the efile.

Then we'll just have to remember to delete the amount paid on the 4868 when checking the final return. Nothing flows to the 1040 if no balance due on 4868. My employee who's doing them all says it's great compared to what we did last year in TaxWorks.

The answer is to override box 5 "Total 2013 payments" so it's more than the amount on line 4 "Estimate of liability" so box 7 "Amount you are paying" is zero. Box 4 is the only box that matters if the IRS is going to challenge an extension and that only happens in rare cases. It shouldn't happen at all. It's bullshit, but it is the law.

• Like 1