ATX Community

NT - I am ________________

Ray in Ohio

Gave up on my big one: wash sales threw a monkey wrench into my importing, one of his W-2s reports that he's a NYC resident when he never lived there, and he made $10,000 in excess 401(k) contributions, and she hasn't told me how much she wants to put into her SEP. So, I printed out extensions for them to mail when they mail their partnership returns. I'm still transmitting extensions. Lots of extensions. Oh, well. I'll sleep in Wednesday, and do a load of laundry, and get a haircut. Mani/pedi on Saturday. Back to work.

• Like 4

I am thankful.... for my husband being better, and thankful it is April 16th and I can slow down the pace.... my brain is mush today, but will be back at it tomorrow.

I had a great year with Drake, no stress, it just worked! Love all the extra feature... I missed ATX in the beginning but now that I am used to Drake I am able to prepare returns very quickly and easily. I am glad I switched but I still keep up with the ATXer's on the board. Nice to have friends in the business that understand!

Thanks for all the prayers, Pam

Taxtrio

• Like 6

I am So happy to put this season behind me. I did not let it make me sick and shaking like I have in the past. I feel like I worked my my tail off and I know that I finished 35 more returns than I did last year when the due date was the 17th. I have not figured out yet how to make the 15th not be a terribly, stressful day. I guess it must be my client mix. There are some that have a nervous breakdown over an extension. No matter how many times I tell some of them to go to a larger firm, they keep coming back. I may just have to fire a couple of the ones that try to bully me into pushing to the front every year.

I am so grateful to have this amazing board to go to for great advice and just to commiserate and rant .Having to close down my office when my husband got sick and moving it home has been hard, because I really miss my friends in my old building. Most of my old tax preparing friends have retired or gotten out of the business. One now works for a dentist and she says that she has never had a better spring. I feel like I've made some new friends here.

Thanks to Eric and all of you who have helped me out or talked to me. Love the senses of humor, because I need more of that attitude. I feel like I don't answer enough questions, but I have a huge fear of being flamed if I'm wrong. I will be around here all year.

• Like 1

I am So happy to put this season behind me. I did not let it make me sick and shaking like I have in the past. I feel like I worked my my tail off and I know that I finished 35 more returns than I did last year when the due date was the 17th. I have not figured out yet how to make the 15th not be a terribly, stressful day. I guess it must be my client mix. There are some that have a nervous breakdown over an extension. No matter how many times I tell some of them to go to a larger firm, they keep coming back. I may just have to fire a couple of the ones that try to bully me into pushing to the front every year.

I am so grateful to have this amazing board to go to for great advice and just to commiserate and rant .Having to close down my office when my husband got sick and moving it home has been hard, because I really miss my friends in my old building. Most of my old tax preparing friends have retired or gotten out of the business. One now works for a dentist and she says that she has never had a better spring. I feel like I've made some new friends here.

Thanks to Eric and all of you who have helped me out or talked to me. Love the senses of humor, because I need more of that attitude. I feel like I don't answer enough questions, but I have a huge fear of being flamed if I'm wrong. I will be around here all year.

Sounds like you are overdue to raise some fees on those problem people. You ARE worth more than you are charging. I have not known any self-employed tax preparer (myself included) that charged what is appropriate for the level of training, experience and skill that is required.

I instituted a 25% increase in my base minimum. I had 3 people ask, and not one complaint after the explanation.

• Like 1

You are right, Jack I'm sure that I am too cheap. I am a big wimp. I don't want to scare away the people that I actually like and enjoy. I definitely try to start new clients at a decent rate, but so many of them are from families that I already prepare, that it is hard to charge the new ones a lot more than the old ones.

• Like 1

I have not figured out yet how to make the 15th not be a terribly, stressful day.

The 14th was like that here. I guess I just I had more people who owed, and they put off picking up. Also, had more people who should know by now what to bring forgetting things. I don't know why they suddenly didn't know I needed pages 2 - 16 of the 1099-B. What????

Well, also the TN Dept of Revenue decided to put business tax returns on a calendar year, so everybody was due April 15. Supposed to be filed electronically so I picked up some folks who just couldn't set it up. Then their site was down. Just stressful.

• Like 1

My 90 year old guy in CO is getting much worse, but refuses to let his family help him. I never get the right stuff and them he gets letters from the IRS and CO wanting more money. It stinks to get old, but it stinks more for me, because I have to deal with the letters and he doesn't realize that it's his fault. He won't send originals, because one year his whole package was lost by the post office. I doubt it because it was Express, he probably put it in a Goodwill box. He normally will send me two copies of the same huge 1099B or maybe a couple of random pages. I love him to death, but his family really needs to step in. I just have to always put him on extension to deal with the mess.

• Like 1