ATX Community

NT - I am ________________

Ray in Ohio

Sounds like you are overdue to raise some fees on those problem people. You ARE worth more than you are charging. I have not known any self-employed tax preparer (myself included) that charged what is appropriate for the level of training, experience and skill that is required.

I instituted a 25% increase in my base minimum. I had 3 people ask, and not one complaint after the explanation.

On another board, someone has pointed out a couple of times that if you double your fees and lose half your clients you'll get the same money for half the work. I haven't had the courage to go *that* far.

Then there was the story of the guy with the real, problem-PITA client. $1,250/year for a business return and they drove him nuts with calls and questions and more. So he followed the advice and doubled their rate. $2,500 and they still royally annoyed him. $5,000 and they irked him. $10,000/year and they're his favorite clients! And they pay - no questions asked, and timely.

• Like 5

Sounds like you are overdue to raise some fees on those problem people. You ARE worth more than you are charging. I have not known any self-employed tax preparer (myself included) that charged what is appropriate for the level of training, experience and skill that is required.

I instituted a 25% increase in my base minimum. I had 3 people ask, and not one complaint after the explanation.

What was your explanation for the 25 per cent raise?

_Excellent_ response, Jack -- and one I can certainly learn from!

Feel free to add your personal flair to it and use it as you need!!

Net loss of clients about 5%. Income increase 30%.

With all the "ACA" stuff next year, there will be another increase in my fees and the "ACA" will be the reason given when asked.

I did not institute the laws and regs requiring all the extra training, forms and general "junk stuff" that will be dealt with for tax year 2014.

This is all about my personal practice, not the firm. The owner does not see things exactly the way I do.

• Like 1

The reason I asked is that next season things will be very different for me. The majority of my work is internet based. But my husband's store was a drop-off pick up location for about 70 people. He sold the business.

Although I live across the street...I do not want people coming and going at their convenience . In addition....these were all paper returns. Then there are the handful that feel they must see me face to face...something else I don't want.

So, I'm going to have a $25 surcharge for all of the above...and tell them my fee is still below the market rate.

MsTabbyKats -- there are locking mailboxes you could use for your drop-off clients. (see link) Label it "Tax Drop-Off" and attach it to the front of your house - perhaps off to the side of the door, where the mailman won't accidentally use it. Then folks can drop off whenever and not disturb YOU at your work (or in your slippers, or whatever). Sure, still charge the surcharge!

http://www.homegardenandpatio.com/curb/mail_box.htm

• Like 1

Thanks....but I live in an apt building. No doorman either.

Hopefully many of these people will either fax or e-mail.

I'm planning on telling a few of them that I'm not doing returns anymore.

You might consider getting a box at a private mailbox rental like Pakmail, the UPS Store, Mailboxes Etc, or even get a US Postal box. UPS & FedEx are not allowed to deliver to P.O Boxes. Mailbox stores allow UPS and FedEx to deliver to a private mailbox.

Then tell all your clients you will be working by mail, fax or internet. Introduce them to PortalSafe, etc. You let them decide.

http://amandajrose.hubpages.com/hub/Private-Post-Office-Box-Rental-More-Options-Than-Just-the-US-Post-Office

http://hecville.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Reasons-to-Rent-a-Private-Mailbox

I have clients that use mail/FedEx/UPS or email me or upload to FileShare on my website. I also have drop-off points at my chiropractor's office and my dentist's office. I'm looking for a drop-off location in another town, lawyer, realtor, medical, someplace my clients would trust but also someplace that would want my clients to know where/who they are so I don't have to pay or pay very little for the service. My chiropractor and dentist don't charge me. I've given them flowers or other small gifts in the past.

My best thing is a large mail slot in my front door, but that might not be allowed in your apartment building. Get a PO box or a box at Mailboxes, etc. One of my clients has a mailing address, especially for receiving packages, at one of those executive suites of offices. He seldom uses any of their other services, occasionally rent a conference room, but does use them as his virtual receptionists for telephone answering/forwarding and for receiving packages.

Omg....

MsTabbyKats likes sitting in her warm apt in the winter. She barely goes across the street to the supermarket. She certainly isn't going to the post office, UPS store, dentist, hairdresser...etc....to pick things up.

:)

I figure I'll just charge extra...and if they don't like it....they can go elsewhere.

A few of them will be told I no longer do returns.....those are the ones with more mtge interest than income etc...aka PITAs.

I get more work than I want on line. I outsourced quite a few this year.

My goal is to make life easier ....not complicate it.

My post was not meant to imply that I'm concerned about losing business....because I'm not. :)

Just that things were changing for me....and I had to come up with something to avoid future stress.

But, I do appreciate the input.

OK, Tabby, but just one final thought, for those you don;t want to lose who don't do the internet, you could have a Mailbox etc, box AND have someone who you pay a small fee to collect the mail from there and deliver it to you, a couple of times a week. I used a similar system when I was staying with my husband in the hospital, although I did not have to get a new address. She brought my mail, then took my outgoing, etc.

• Like 1

Is there someplace you go anyway every week or so? I go to my chiropractor and church and gym once a week or more often, so picking up from them adds no time to my routine.

Or, I like KC's idea.

Would the store's new owner allow your clients to drop off?

My retired hubby makes pick-ups and deliveries for me. Does your husband have more free time now that he sold the store? Could he retrieve your mail for you once a week while you work on returns?

There are ways you can keep the clients that you want to keep that used to drop off at your husband's store. (And, lose the clients you want to lose!)

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.

My husband might want to do pick-ups/deliveries....and other errands .....just to get out of the apt.

We really don't need the $$$ (another reason for my low rate)...and my business was just supposed to be a hobby. But, it became a very successful hobby. I'd like to maintain it as an income generating hobby.

Or...we just may go to a warm climate....and I'll do everything remotely.

• Like 1