ATX Community

Remote office sharing main office data base

Philip1117

If you have a remote office and would like to have just one install of ATX so you can see all of your returns and work on them from anywhere then you need to do the following.

At the main office you will have to have a computer setup and connected to the ATX tax server. 

This computer can only be used by one person at a time.  So if you have an employee at the main office and this is their computer then you will not be able to log in remotely and use this computer yourself.  The person at the main office and you can't use the same computer for atx at the same time.

So you set up a computer connect it to the tax server at the main office and only let it be used when you are at your remote office logging into the connected computer.  Yes you have to buy an additioanl computer.

For instance at my main office I have 3 perparers and myself.  at my remote office I have 2 perparers and my self.  When I am not at the main office my computer is not being used.  I can from my remote office log into the main office computer and complete returns.  In order for my remote staff to do the same I will need to set up two additional computers.

Now I don't have 2 databases, only one.  This is the best workaround I have fould and wish I had done it last year.  Yes you do have to buy an addtional computer for each remote user but it worked without issue for me.

So for next year my remote users will be using the same database as my main office.  Very nice.

PHil

Jack,

Here is a stupid question. I know that the license is address specific, but is it a violation of my license?  if I remote in from my laptop upstairs or maybe on the deck to my office in the basement? I asked my customer service rep, (when I had one) and he didn't know and didn't get back to me. Sometimes I just want to be up with the family and not stuck downstairs. I also asked my old rep if I needed to buy another license to remote in while I was out of town for a few days and did not receive an answer again. I just ended up not working those few days. 

Thank you, you definitely seem to know more than any rep that I have had. I guess I don't have one now, because they don't seem to care if I renew or not.

NECPA, technically you may be in violation of the ATX agreement, but you really only have one place of business that you are providing service to your clients, and your situation is not unlike someone bringing some work home with them. The OP has a different setup because he actually has more than one place of business, he has employees working at that second location, and is presumably meeting with clients and delivering services and returns there also.  If that is the case, Jack is correct that he is in violation by accessing ATX remotely in his circumstance.

NECPA, technically you may be in violation of the ATX agreement, but you really only have one place of business that you are providing service to your clients, and your situation is not unlike someone bringing some work home with them. The OP has a different setup because he actually has more than one place of business, he has employees working at that second location, and is presumably meeting with clients and delivering services and returns there also.  If that is the case, Jack is correct that he is in violation by accessing ATX remotely in his circumstance.

I agree, but since the main reason for his setup is to have one unified database, I believe he could both have the setup and meet the license requirement by buying a second license.  

• Like 2

If the OP (Philip) states that he has up to 6 people using the ATX database, he needs to buy the network license.  He stated he had himself, and 3 in his office and two more at the remote office.  Otherwise, only three people can use the file at any one time, and with three logins, (Admin, User1 and User2). 

For the $500 network fee, he could get around a lot of these problems and have all of them working at once, and NOT have two or three dedicated computers to run the remote locations.

I am about to set up the same thing.  Myself and three other preparers in one office then another in a remote office, using the common ATX database.  I need to buy a big dedicated server for all the remote/other functions, and I get to throw $500 to ATX...

Rich 

Jack,

Here is a stupid question. I know that the license is address specific, but is it a violation of my license?  if I remote in from my laptop upstairs or maybe on the deck to my office in the basement? I asked my customer service rep, (when I had one) and he didn't know and didn't get back to me. Sometimes I just want to be up with the family and not stuck downstairs. I also asked my old rep if I needed to buy another license to remote in while I was out of town for a few days and did not receive an answer again. I just ended up not working those few days. 

Thank you, you definitely seem to know more than any rep that I have had. I guess I don't have one now, because they don't seem to care if I renew or not.

There is a huge difference between logging in remotely for a short time to take care of a few items and having a second place where you are conducting business. Those are two entirely different things.

The second business location requires a second license.

Ask for a different rep... This is basic product knowledge 101.

When I explained to my rep what I was planning on doing, and the second office was going to still be mine, she never mentioned another site license.  Only the network version.  

Phil, I could fax you the server configuration that has been proposed to me.  Its rather stiff in price, and I am going to hack away at it on Wednesday.

Rich 

When I explained to my rep what I was planning on doing, and the second office was going to still be mine, she never mentioned another site license.  Only the network version.  

Phil, I could fax you the server configuration that has been proposed to me.  Its rather stiff in price, and I am going to hack away at it on Wednesday.

Rich

Ask a different rep and contact the head of the licensing department at ATX. You will find that my information is accurate. Better yet, why not READ the licensing agreement instead of taking a person's word for it..."

Reading = manual data input to your brain.

I asked ATX and my IT person if I needed a separate license to work from home (I don't meet clients there - I just don't want to be at my office 24/7).  Because I am using Radmin, and I am logging in 'remotely' to my desktop at my office, both assured me that this is single user.  (No one could access the desktop while I'm working from home, because I'm on the desktop virtually.)  I was unsure after reading the licensing agreement, which is why I asked.  This was, however, several years ago.  I haven't double-checked it since.  I am the only preparer in my office, and I only meet clients at my office.

I asked ATX and my IT person if I needed a separate license to work from home (I don't meet clients there - I just don't want to be at my office 24/7).  Because I am using Radmin, and I am logging in 'remotely' to my desktop at my office, both assured me that this is single user.  (No one could access the desktop while I'm working from home, because I'm on the desktop virtually.)  I was unsure after reading the licensing agreement, which is why I asked.  This was, however, several years ago.  I haven't double-checked it since.  I am the only preparer in my office, and I only meet clients at my office.

Your situation is not in violation of the agreement. 

A second place of business requires a second license.  If you are meeting clients in a second location, that qualifies.  The license is address specific, Just like your EFIN. 

Still waiting for someone to say that their rep told them they could have a second business location without purchasing a second license.

I have a steak dinner on this one.  Any takers??

• Like 1