ATX Community

Best Customer Service Practice

Philip1117

What one thing do you do that demonstrates great customer service to your clients? 

In my own business I'm not sure what one thing stands out that my clients would say makes us special. 

We do give away a 42 inch tv. 

We burn copies of returns onto a CD.

Every dropped off return gets a personal review during the pickup.

We don't charge to amend our own returns regardless of fault

We pay penalties although in 15 years didn't have any penalties.

I did split interest charges with people or paid the whole shebang again only about 500.00 in 15 years.

We have private offices with doors.

We wear logo shirts.

We are really nice. Well most of us anyway.

We fold all of the 1040v and 1040 es into each envelope

Our pricing is fair for the service level chosen.

Our furniture matches

Our waiting rooms have TVs

We have open wifi for clients/customers

I think I need something with a WOW factor?  I wonder if we should offer free beverages and cookies in the lobby? 

What makes your business stand out?

Phil

For me it's relationships.  For instance, I just took a call from a client.  She was surprised I answered so late at night.  Glad I did.  Another item from hubby's former business came out of the woodwork (a loan she thought he'd paid off, now calling all $40,000), and this may be the straw that broke the camel's back.  As she talked about divorce, I explained what I would do, what I would not discuss and would with her maybe-soon-to-be ex, things like that.  She was calmed by being able to reach me tonight.  I'm in the midst of a big project for a biz client, but talking with her will keep a pricey client coming back.  (Now, I have to manage to finish this big spreadsheet/report by tomorrow morning to keep my biz client calm!)  Hand holding.

• Like 2

I wonder if we should offer free beverages and cookies in the lobby? 

I have done that, but have to warn you, it's not only messy [crumbs, spills.....] it also does not matter to the best clients, but does attract the bottom feeders.  I stopped it after one client that learned of  it when he brought in his paperwork brought all 9 off his kids when he came back, announcing to them loudly as he came in, "only one Coke each, kids".  They then each got a coke out of the drink box, and set down and ate two full boxes of cookies,  all we had,  Then left the office with paper, cans, and spills everywhere.   :wub:

We did offer coffee, as it's an 'adult beverage', but I used small cups and never filled them full.  I needed it, and did not feel right drinking it in front of them without asking.  HOWEVER, I like mine STRONG, so I really did not have too many take me up on it more than once.   ;)  True!

Avoid offering food, it's always a clean-up issue.   :wall:  

Vouchers for referrals, on the other hand, are often effective, and clients seemed to like them.

I have a Keurig, but don't offer it often.  Sometimes, a client will ask for a glass of water.  Am willing to oblige.  OIH.  My husband keeps the candy dish full and another dish with healthy????? snack bars.   I keep cinnamon balls for one particular client.  Anyone is welcome to them.  Also keep hand sanitizer on my desk on their side.

I don't encourage long talks during tax season.  This year instead of giving away a tv at random.  All referral slips will get entered.  10 referrals 10 chances. Plus a cash reward of the ones who don't win the big tv.  Need some WOW!

Our WOW is the quality, personalized and year round available service we provide.

Reasonable pricing is second.

• Like 2

We have candy dishes, one in the receptionist area and another on the way to the staff offices, filled mostly with hard candies but some chocolate.  I would say 90% of clients stop at one or the other (or both).  People are not shy about digging around either to find their favorite root beer or caramel or whatever.  It makes a lot of people happy and doesn't cost much.

We have a flat screen in the waiting area, which not only gives clients something to do while they wait but keeps their kids occupied while parents go in to get their returns done.  One year we had a small, very friendly dog who was our greeter.  Every time the door opened he ran over with tail wagging, and he sat in every lap offered to him.  Some clients even brought him in to the tax desk with them because they loved him so much.  He wasn't here this year, and a heck of a lot of people asked for him.  A lap cat might be a good substitute.

• Like 2

I saw in the news yesterday that a bank in Canada found out what each individual liked and the ATM was dispensing those items. So, for the short run WOW, you can give a trip to Vegas and for the long run, find out what your favorites clients like and maybe you can surprise them the following year.

When you do 40% of EIC, it is not a good idea to have candies, coffee or sodas for your clients. I only have water.

>>When you do 40% of EIC, it is not a good idea to have candies, coffee or sodas for your clients. I only have water.<<

That says something about people.  Of course, not all people that get EIC is like that, but it does show a trend, a sad trend.

There are two trends, the one implied and the other is the fact that they bring a lot of kids to the office. As you know, no matter how careful kids are, their abilities to hold drinks are limited and they always have issues with the carpet, chairs or any other surface.

• Like 1

Maybe you should offer candy to EIC clients' kids.  It could be considered "due diligence" verification that they really had all those kids.

Actually, I interview them by asking their names, what school they go to, what grade and I write down the answer they give me litteraly. Sometimes the older one answers for the little one and I also make a note of it.