ATX Community

ATX 2013 errors out in Workstation Only

thejoeyo

I do the IT support for a few different tax agencies. One of them has a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server hosting ATX 2013 in server + workstation mode. When we try to have a computer with ATX 2013 workstation only connect to it, it errors out immediately with an error that says something like: Socket Error Access Denied. I've troubleshot the issue as far as I could, completely disabling the firewalls on both the PC and the server. I've contacted ATX support, and got through to level 2 tech support. They added some registry entries and deleted some files on the workstation, but could not get it to work. They said they saw this problem once in their lab on Windows Server 2012 R2 and were not able to find a fix for it (really great support, btw. smh.) My question is: Has anybody else found this issue and were they able to fix it?

Joey

• 2 weeks later...

Problem still exists. 

So you have a 2 workstations, 1 works and the other doesn't?

Server: ATX Server and ATX workstation installed on it.  Workstation install works just fine and sees server.

Laptop: ATX workstation installed.  It fails instantly. (this is the one we need to get working)

Desktop: ATX standalone installed. Works fine, but we need workstations working, not stand-alones.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to bump this thread to see if anyone has any further advice. I've got a Windows 2012 R2 Essentials Server with the Server + Workstation ATX 2013 installed on it. I also have a Windows 7 Pro laptop that's domain joined with the Workstation Only ATX 2013 install. I get the following error every time I launch ATX 2013 Workstation on the Laptop:

Session Summary Information:
Date/Time: 12/27/2014 8:03:25 AM
ApplicationVersion: 13.7.0.96
CommandLine: "C:Program Files (x86)CCH Small Firm ServicesATX2013ATX2013.exe" 
CurrentCultureName: en-US
CurrentUICultureName: en-US
DnsDomainName: Thomas.local
Duration: 00:00:00.3286000
HostName: Chris-HP
MemoryMB: 12224
OSArchitecture: Amd64
OSCultureName: en-US
OSFullNameWithServicePack: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
OSVersion: 6.1.7601
ProcessorCores: 8
RuntimeVersion: 4.0.30319.18444
TerminalServer: False
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
   at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient..ctor(Int32 port, AddressFamily family)
   at Sfs.Max.Shell.UI.ServerConfigurationViewModel.BeginNetworkDetect()
   at Sfs.Max.Shell.UI.ServerConfigurationViewModel..ctor()
   at Sfs.ServerHost.Client.Configuration.ClientNetworkConfiguration.ConfigureRemoteServer()
   at Sfs.ServerHost.Client.Configuration.ClientNetworkConfiguration.ConfigureNetworkLocation()
   at Sfs.Max.Shell.Bootstrapper.ConfigureContainer()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.UnityExtensions.UnityBootstrapper.Run(Boolean runWithDefaultConfiguration)
   at Sfs.Max.Shell.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I've tried disabling the firewall and antivirus on both the server and the workstation to no avail. I also contacted ATX, they remoted in and added some keys to the registry, which didn't help. They told me it was a "known issue" and gave up. Any help would be much appreciated.

• 4 years later...