ATX Community

Deductible Mileage?

the boss

I have a client that lives in Miami and found a lucrative job in St Petersburg (about 200 miles).  He will be renting a small apt there so that he can be close to his new work location.  He will travel to and from his main home for the weekends.  His tax home will be St Pete and his main home Miami. I believe that the travel on the weekends is deductible. Am I correct?

I have a client that lives in Miami and found a lucrative job in St Petersburg (about 200 miles).  He will be renting a small apt there so that he can be close to his new work location.  He will travel to and from his main home for the weekends.  His tax home will be St Pete and his main home Miami. I believe that the travel on the weekends is deductible. Am I correct?

Personal miles.  Not deductible. 

I agree with Jack.
This is from Tax Topic 511:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home. For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals, or lodging in Milwaukee because that is your tax home. Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago is not for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible. If you regularly work in more than one place, your tax home is the general area where your main place of business or work is located.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------

There might be an exception carved out for a temporary work assignment (one year or less)  in some situations, but nothing in the original post suggests this is the case.

• Like 3