ATX Community

Foreign Employment

Lion EA

US Citizen goes to SIngapore for two years as a professor and house master at National University of Singapore.  Left 1 August 2013; has satisfied the physical presence test now.

Do I put his wages on line 7?  Dummy up a W-2?  Or, do I start on Form 2555 and it will flow.  I don't want to double up or go in a wrong order and miss something.  I thought I understood the theory, but the practical application of reporting on the return is leaving me shaky.  Especially since I started this last Friday but my computer overheated and shut down and Dell argued with me and still hasn't fixed it.  Enough ranting; I wasted too much time with Dell.  Gotta make this flow the way I know it should.

Thanx for any pointers. 

In ATX, go to line 7 of 1040 and jump to Line 7 worksheet.  enter the foreign wages on line 5 of the worksheet, Foreign employer compensation not reported on w-2....it will link you to another worksheet, FECwkst (enter employer data on the FECwkst) and automatically puts the required "FEC" on line 7 of 1040 which tells the IRS it is foreign earned comp.

• Like 1