ATX Community

Organizers and newsletters

Philip1117

I have a one sheet worksheet I send out and most of my clients use it.  It would be nice if clients would use the organizer, but I think most feel that if they complete the organizer, they have done most of the work.  I have only had one client ask for an organizer, but he didn't use it when I sent it.  I don't send newsletters, but I have a small practice.

At 1600 clients, I don't know how you have been working without an organizer.  Find one, customize it, use it.  Make it clear that "No filled out organizer, no tax return."  I scan and store every document and organizer page for verification of what information was given to me.

My personal practice I am at 260.  My Organizer is about 6 pages.

At the firm where I work, we do approx. 3,000 returns.  We have an extensive organizer.  We could not work properly without them.

After all these years; I pretty much know who will use the organizer and who won't.  There are several clients who request it and take it with them to the warmer climates for the winter to work on.  Others I print and keep in their folders for me to use (clients with Sch C businesses; Rentals, etc.)  I enclose the engagement letter along with the organizer.  Those who don't or won't use the organizer just get the engagement letter along with my personal yearly letter giving them a heads up on anything new to expect.

Other than organizers do you send out newsletters?  If so are you using mail or electronic versions?

Since I have never used organizers, except my first year,  I don't think I would get a good ratio of completed organizers to justify the time and expense of sending out the ATX organizer.

Phil

I send out Organizers.

I am like Jack, I use it internally to make my process easier.

I tell clients, you don't have to fill it in, but you have to bring it back ;)

Usually, I print all of them (400+) and them assemble them as I watch the NFL playoffs.

However, in my case, my clients have a lot more going on then just a 1040/state/schA.  If you have a lot of "simple" returns, then printing all the organizers may not make sense...

The ATX Comprehensive Organizer is "fine".  I would make it more complete/interactive if I was in charge, it is one of the area's that has not seen much, if any improvement over the 12 years I have been using ATX.  The Mini-Organizer can have some utility.

Rich

• Like 1

I have the ATX Tax Organizer set up on an Excel spreadsheet.  While I do loose the prior year information for the clients, it has the advantage that they can fill it out on their computers and e-mail it back to me.  My practice is entirely Internet based.  As such, all the Tax Organizer is e-mailed to the client. I only see one or two clients face-to-face a year...well three this year.  Even with them I require the Tax Organizer to be filled out. All I can say is that it works for me. I have not yet used a newsletter, however, I have found some value in converting the IRS Tax Tips to an e-mail I can mail to  my clients.  I eliminate those that do not pertain to my clients and augment those tips as needed.

I know this sounds insane, but I download them both and pick and choose the pages that I want to print.  Generally, I prefer the original organizer, but if my client has a business, rentals, etc, I choose those pertinent pages to print.  I gave up sending organizers to all clients years ago.  Am now to the point where I create and send an organizer to the clients who want and will use one; I print and keep the organizer for the ones who don't and won't and keep it for my own use.  After all, the organizer is more for our benefit than for theirs.  As I said before, some clients are adamant about having one.  Others have their own methods of organizing their information; and some pay more because they don't do either. 

• Like 4

I only send organizers to clients that actually use them, and I have quite a few of them that do. I really like the idea above that said that they mail the question pages to everyone. I think that I will implement that and try to cut back on a few of the questions in my annual letter. Of course they have to actually open my letter. I can't believe how many bring the envelope in unopened. It takes so many hours, dead trees and postage to mail out those, along with the engagement letters and organizers. I wish that I had more people that trusted the Internet. 

• Like 1

I provide organizers to the clients that request them and put in my client letter that they are available.  What I do send out each year to everyone are the questions from the organizer, and add a page with additional questions I like to ask.  Most get e-versions through my portal and I only mail to the few that don't have internet/aren't internet savvy.

• Like 3

I've had no success at anyone filling out organizers accurately.  And, I insist upon seeing the original documents anyway.  For Schedules C, E, business entities, I insist upon some type of Q&A via telephone or email or in my office or....  Many start with their QB file or P&L and BS, which is better than a hand-done organizer.  Many followed me from Block and were used to some type of interview format.  Others came from big NY CPA firms with unopened organizers or organizers filled out with huge errors (mortgage interest paid as interest received, no 1099R info as they paid tax on that already!, that kind of thing).  And, I too have had the comment about if I have to fill that out, I'll just do my own tax return.  Or my kid said if I fill it out for him, he'll do my return for free.

I don't send out general newsletters.  I spend out information specific to a client(s).  I want to do a bit more.  I have an opt-in choice on my website for clients to receive newsletters, but no one has asked for newsletters.  I have many clients that are very private and really don't want email or snail mail but will take my phone call if I think they need to know something.

• Like 1

Me, too.  I won't do a return from an organizer; I want originals.  Lots of details hidden in them that clients don't realize I need or understand what they are.

That's why I only used a one page questionnaire, which included a request for ALL TAX FORMS received, with the list, W-2s,  1099's, W-2G's, 1098's, etc.  And 'obvious' questions like "Any new dependents?" "Did you get married, divorced, buy or sell your home?" etc.  Amazing what they can forget to mention, isn't it?

• Like 4