ATX Community

Zip Code Problem

Denne

I am trying to create an efile and have a problem with the Zip Code area. I get an error that the Employer zip code on the W-2 is wrong. Well....it isn't according to the taxpayer and the employer. I also looked it up on the Internet and found the same zip code. I tried to just leave the zip code off and then get an error message that eo efile the zip code has to be on the form..... By the way we used the same zip code and efiled last year. Going around in circles here!

I am trying to create an efile and have a problem with the Zip Code area. I get an error that the Employer zip code on the W-2 is wrong. Well....it isn't according to the taxpayer and the employer. I also looked it up on the Internet and found the same zip code. I tried to just leave the zip code off and then get an error message that eo efile the zip code has to be on the form..... By the way we used the same zip code and efiled last year. Going around in circles here!

Try deleting the entire zip code field, and re-enter. Sometimes a stray space before or after the number gets in there.

Usually, it's not the zip code, it is the STATE that is the problem. A typo that changes MA to MS or vice versa, for example, is easy to make, and easy to overlook, too. I've sometimes caught myself putting in my state out of habit, too, when the employer's town name is the same as the name of a town in my state.