ATX Community

1099 and W-2 program

David

I've used the efilemyforms in the past and was satisfied with its service.  I used the e-file only option where I printed the recipient's copy myself. That is $2.99 per form, or for $3.49 that service will e-file and also print and mail the recipient copies for you. That is why I asked how many you prepare. I prepare only a very small number of these forms, but if you prep in the 60-70 range, you might also consider purchasing only the ATX module for W-2/1099 prep because you will save time by not having to reenter the same data that you could roll over from last year. ATX price for that program is $219 and always worked well. Of course, that price is before any handling charge that they might tack on too.

This question is brought up each year, usually more than once, so I've moved this topic from the Other Vendor section and to General Chat because the question really didn't relate to the other software at all.

It appears that those that purchase ATX's "1040" or "1040 Office" packages aren't getting the W-2/1099 or Payroll Compliance in with their purchase. It's only included for those purchasing the more expensive products like "MAX" or "Total Tax Office".  Some here using software other than ATX may benefit from this discussion, not just those with Pro Series or some other non-ATX program.

I used CFS this year, but i did not realize ATX sold the payroll module that cheaply.  That might very well be what I use next year.

The ATX website lists the price of the 1099/W-2 module at $219 and the full Payroll Compliance module at $375.  It really depends on how many returns of this type one prepares.

JKL,

The 1099/W2 module is usually a PRS format system; the 219 is business license and some free returns, then you have to pay for them one by one (unsure of how many free). The full module gives you unlimited access to federal/state process for payroll reporting, and has free e-file - you don't even need an EFIN for e-filing the 1099s, as CCH acts as the transmitter. 

JKL,

The 1099/W2 module is usually a PRS format system; the 219 is business license and some free returns, then you have to pay for them one by one (unsure of how many free). The full module gives you unlimited access to federal/state process for payroll reporting, and has free e-file - you don't even need an EFIN for e-filing the 1099s, as CCH acts as the transmitter. 

http://www.atxinc.com/products/w2_1099.aspx

Am I interpreting this wrong?  I don't see anything about PRS or limited to a certain number of returns.  ATX website shows the price of $219 and this below it (unlimited use and e-file): 

Benefits:

• Unlimited use of all federal payroll forms
  • Unlimited e-filing saves you time, money and hassles
  • Data entry is a breeze with an easy-to-use tax software interface
  • Information rolls over from year-to-year so you only have to enter data once
  • Easily import data from Client Accounting Suite, QuickBooks®, and Peachtree®
  • Integrates with PaperlessPLUS

Features:

• Prepare and electronically file quarterly Form 941 and annual Forms 940 and 944
  • Convenient and reliable U.S.-based support
  • Prepare W-2 and W-3 forms for distribution to recipients and paper filing or electronic filing with the Social Security Administration (SSA)
  • Prepare and electronically file 1099s, 1098s and 5498s with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • Prepare required forms for distribution to recipients on paper or as digital PDF files
  • Import employee wage data from Client Accounting Suite, QuickBooks® or Peachtree®
  • E-file an unlimited number of payroll returns at no additional cost

Similar statements on ATX with the Payroll and Compliance program for $375 that says unlimited there as well:  http://www.atxinc.com/products/payroll_compliance.aspx

Are these not available for purchase as separate modules for unlimited use as it is stated on the website with a "buy now" button?

I bought the MAX program and the Payroll program was included at no charge.  Unlimited

...those that purchase ATX's "1040" or "1040 Office" packages aren't getting the W-2/1099 or Payroll Compliance in with their purchase. It's only included for those purchasing the more expensive products like "MAX" or "Total Tax Office".  Some here using software other than ATX may benefit from this discussion....

What program did you do payroll in?  Why can't you use the same program to generate W-2s and 1099s?  QB?  Peachtree?  The write-up module of your tax software?  Or, for just a few, handwrite them on free IRS forms, with e-file for the "red" 1099s to the IRS.  Or e-file the reds and print everything else on plain paper.  You can use regular envelopes, don't have to buy special envelopes.  Do print on them that phrase about Important Tax Information when you are addressing the envelopes.  Also, you are supposed to cut the forms apart for the recipients, though, if not using perforated paper.

be careful of states, NY for example now Requires efiling of quarterly's starting 4/30 but our current p/r program doesn't support this.

It is also a requirement in WI.  However the ATX e-filing module does allow you to create the quarterlies on the State payment or refund page.  I had several last year who took advantage of both Federal and State.