ATX Community

I try not to judge...but...

Janitor Bob

I really try not to judge...I can't know all of the sad/gory details of clients' lives and don't want to.  However, when a client quits her two part-time jobs at the same time in 2014 because she has hit what she terms "the EIC sweet spot"...sits on her butt the remainder of the year being lazy (her words), chooses not to get insurance (even though subsidy would pay for almost all of it).  gets sick and wants sympathy for not having health coverage and instead having big medical bills....then complains to me because her EIC and refund are not higher and how "that damn hospital" won't cut her a break on the bills.

Her rent is subsidized through a county agency.  She gets WIC (food stamp/card) and child support.  Is mentally and physically able to work, but just chooses not to.  Bitches to me for 10 minutes about how the government does nothing for her

her refund is almost 25 times what she paid in.

I need scotch

• Like 13

JB-

This is why I talk to clients as little as possible.  I don't want the details of their lives.  I live in apt. building...and unless someone can e-mail or fax me...I go down to the lobby to collect their papers.  And I go down to the lobby to hand them their return.

No more...bring it to my apt.  No more...sit down and I'll do it while you're here.  And I cut to the chase on all phone calls.

FWIW...one of my EITC gals had to pick up her return today because she's flying to Aruba on Friday.

• Like 5

I have 1 person that whines about everything also.  This year they made almost $15,000 more than in 2013, way over for EIC and additional child tax credit.  I had to explain to her at least 10 times, WHY she was not entitled to the funds.  She wanted to know why she was not getting any money for her 3 kids.  I told her, YES she was getting the money only what she was eligible to receive.  they both claim 1 for fed and state, I told her that if they change to zero she might get a bigger refund next year.  It's just round and round every year.  I completed her return 2 days ago, but have not submitted it yet.  I am thinking about giving her money back and ask her to go some where else.  it is constant phone calls, text and emails & sometime all at the same time.   :huh:  Oh and to top it off they got the Marketplace insurance very cheap and now have a penalty since they were not entitled to it.  

Edited by WendyT in IA
  • Like 8

I spend as much time with my clients as they need.  I DO want to know some of the details of their lives.  However, there is the occasional person who NEEDS to be fired; and I have learned to do that.  I fired one already this year and much the better for it.  When they demand, cajole, try to bribe to be on the top of the pile, and are hard to get money out of; it is time for them to go elsewhere.  I do not have a magic wand here (particularly not this year).  My inbox runneth over and they will either wait their turn patiently or move on.  Once I send them on their way, I absolutely will NOT rethink it.

• Like 7

I don't really try that hard not to judge, I admit.  I would NEVER go to pick up my professionally prepared tax return without a check or cash for the diligent, overworked, preparer like two of mine have done today.  These are not new clients, either.  There is just an abundance of thoughtlessness these days.  And, I'm being generous.

On a happier note, another one picking up was delighted that the refund was only $3.  He's a smart cookie and plans well. 

• Like 8

And the EIC may again take another huge increase as happened in the 80's when Congress decided to subsidize health insurance for low income taxpayers through the EIC rather than the Health Insurance Tax Credit that was given after the fact if the taxpayer had insurance during the preceding tax year.

This is one of the ideas being considered by Congress to replace Obamacare.

Yep, history does repeat itself!

I recognize this is not the most professional approach, but I would not be able to listen to that.  I would have to mention the spirit of the EIC is for those who find themselves out of work and not for those who choose not to work.  Yes, there are many who freeload and the EIC is not perfect by any means, but I wont have someone like that sit in front of me and complain about low EIC refunds and not catching a break on hospital bills.  It's her choice not to work and it's her choice not to have health insurance.  It would be my choice not to complete her return.  I couldn't complete it and would place everything back in the envelope and hand it back to her, telling her to go to H&R.  May not be the right approach to increase my income, but it certainly would be the right approach for me personally. 

• Like 9

I don't really try that hard not to judge, I admit.  I would NEVER go to pick up my professionally prepared tax return without a check or cash for the diligent, overworked, preparer like two of mine have done today.  These are not new clients, either.  There is just an abundance of thoughtlessness these days.  And, I'm being generous.

A few are paying attention to the fact that I put my foot down last year and refused to file the returns until I was paid.  They are coming in check or cash in hand.  Amazing....and they are sending new clients.  I did seriously judge one client who ran several scenarios past me; such as taking her friend's three children as dependents because the friend was on disability.  The next one was, could she take her boyfriend's daughter because the mother was willing for him to take her as a deduction this year.  Then the mother changed her mind because he was behind on child support.  I told her to come and pick up her papers.  She was always at least a year behind in paying.  YES, I am judging.

• Like 8

And rightly so.  We have to consider, IMHO, the honesty of our clients.  We all have some that we accept at their word, and some that we ask to see their receipts, etc.  Based on our feelings of their honesty.   So when a client says things that make it clear they are not only willing to cheat but actively looking for ways to cheat, it seems to me we have no choice but to fire that client.   

• Like 8

Last year I did a return and the total tax was around $100,000 right after that return I did one for a guy that paid $0 and still got a $5,557 refund.   I wanted to scream

Yes, isn't that the truth.  However, I have very few clients who even Gross $100,000; but know exactly what you are saying.

• Like 1

My client base is pretty much middle income, from about 50k to 150k. The higher end tends to be two earner couples. Have a few in the 300k range (doctors, nearly all), but just picked up a neighbor who is on SSDI and earns a little as his daughter's in home health care person. That guy I'm happy to compute EIC for. Especially since he managed to buy a house on his limited income!

• Like 3

Everyone complains.

The folks who are making a lot of money, complain about the taxes they have to pay...  And those at the lower end of the spectrum complain about not getting enough...

Whatever.

Its part of the job. 

I will judge those that appear to be cheating, lying, or otherwise being less than forthright.  I am not auditing their returns, I am preparing them.  If I think they are BS'ing me, I send them on their way.

The Declaration of Independence says: "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".  It is not mine to judge their retched pursuit of their happiness. 

They are living the life they want.  I accept that.

Rich

Off the cuff, that's her way of telling you to lie to get her the money. If she won't accept that you're going to file it your way (i.e. the legal way) then send her to H&R Block et al.

I had to explain to her at least 10 times, WHY she was not entitled to the funds.  She wanted to know why she was not getting any money for her 3 kids.

• Like 1