ATX Community

EFIN/PTIN When Downgrading from CPA to Unenrolled Practitoner

TonyP

I'm currently a CPA  registered to practice in Florida through December 31, 2015.  This is my last year to practice as a CPA, I'm kinda retiring, with my client workload projected to diminish from 225 clients to no more than 20 clients next year.  Those projected retained clients are mostly "nice little old-ladies" in assisted living or nursing homes; I anticipate that nominal workload to further decrease in future years.

Because of my workload decrease, I decided to forgo completing any CPE courses and will let my CPA certification lapse into "retired" status effective 12/31/2015.  I assume my status will be as an Unenrolled Practitioner, while in that status what are my options to maintain my EFIN and PTIN for 2016, preparing & e-filing 2015 tax year returns?  Will I nevertheless be required to obtain some type of CPE credits? 

I'm currently a CPA  registered to practice in Florida through December 31, 2015.  This is my last year to practice as a CPA, I'm kinda retiring, with my client workload projected to diminish from 225 clients to no more than 20 clients next year.  Those projected retained clients are mostly "nice little old-ladies" in assisted living or nursing homes; I anticipate that nominal workload to further decrease in future years.

Because of my workload decrease, I decided to forgo completing any CPE courses and will let my CPA certification lapse into "retired" status effective 12/31/2015.  I assume my status will be as an Unenrolled Practitioner, while in that status what are my options to maintain my EFIN and PTIN for 2016, preparing & e-filing 2015 tax year returns?  Will I nevertheless be required to obtain some type of CPE credits? 

If you want to go the VITA route, I do not think you need the EFIN and PTIN, etc. (but not sure). Of course those folks are all volunteers and not paid.  With your cliental (upcoming) you may fall into that category too.  (NOTE: cookies, cake and smiles for helping are still "tax free"   - for now).

Tony-

I am a CPA and just closed my practice as of 12/31/14.  As such, I looked up the PTIN requirements.  You only need the PTIN if you will be compensated for your work.  I will be doing a few retruns to wrap up some situations for people this year and will file only family members after that.  So, I decided to do the few I do this year not being compensated and did not renew my PTIN.  I fully disclosed this to the people whose returns I will do this year and of course they had no problem with it. I stated that I would not be signing it as the paid preparer since they won't be paying me and they said OK.  The EFIN is needed to be able to e-file and I will keep that since it costs nothing and doesn't require annual renewal.  Like easy tax said, cookies, cakes, smiles, and hugs don't count as compensation.  This is how I'm handling it anyway.

Julie

i believe...unenrolled paid practitioner = paying your $65 PTIN renewal.

it gets you efin/efile ability...no cpe credits needed.