ATX Community

NT Tablet Advice

JJStephens

I plan to soon buy my second tablet (third, if you count the one I got my wife for Christmas). Just wondering if any of you have any advice about what to consider/not consider.

I need something that can handle a variety of biz apps (perhaps including ATX). Excellent wifi is a must as I use MS Office 365 also do a ton of client work using cloud based accounting and payroll SaaS. Gaming capability is not a factor (the closest I come to gaming is treating myself to a daily online crossword puzzle).

I'm not an Apple fan; I'm torn between a Windows or Android OS. Both have new OS's coming out soon (Win10 and Lollipop5.0)--I'd prefer something that is upgradeable.

I'd like the keep the price tag under $300 or $350.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

What size tablet do you want? 

I might suggest the Nexus 9, which is a decent mid-range tablet, and since it's a Nexus device it's quick to get the latest OS updates directly from Google.  It's already got Android 5.0.2 and 5.1 should be available any time now.

It's got a 8.9" screen and the 4:3 aspect ratio is a lot nicer for productivity applications at that size than a 16:9

I have SP2 so maybe the refurb at the price you mention is good.  Do remember that you will likely want the detachable keyboard which will cost extra.  I also got a great Bluetooth mouse that flattens to easy to put into the bag I have.  I usually use that over the stylus as I'm more used to a mouse.

Others like Eric will surely chime in and give you lots of suggestions.  You might want to browse at someplace like Best Buy to see what screen size you like best and how the keys and functionality feel to you.  I love the SP keyboard feel myself.

Let us know your decision.  My husband is looking around, too, for after his retirement.

The T100 is quite nice, and the price is right.

I guess it comes down to how much you want to run ATX on the thing.  I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything that will do a good job of running ATX software for $350, even if it's a refurb, since nearly all tablets have mobile processors which are geared toward efficiency instead of processing power (better battery life and less worry about cooling requirements are important considerations for the tablet form factor)

The only tablet I can think of with a real desktop-class processor is the Surface Pro series, and they're not cheap. 

• Like 2

Thanks. I've had Winbooks before (I've lived in/near their Columbus OH headquarters for the last 28 years).

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Twist that I'm probably going to put on Craigslist. I paid $300 for it (used) a year ago. I probably won't get a fraction of that now. Sigh!