ATX Community

(NT) - Just curious...

Yardley CPA

Not me, but a preparer, a retired bank officer, who worked out of his house which is a couple doors down from my office passed away in January and some of his clients have been finding their way to my office, was still doing returns with a pencil.

Not sure that was the kind of answer you are looking for.  But it worked for him.  And the couple of his returns I have done this year, I have not discovered any issues with the 2013 return.  I actually do monthly and quarterly and annual work for this guy's grandson.  The preparer referred the grandson to me several years ago when the grandson's return became more involved than the preparer was comfortable with.

• Like 5

rfassett...while my question was more geared toward iPads or Tablets, I also considered there may be some folks who still use the pencil.  Thanks for sharing that.  

I also know a preparer who still does them with pencil and paper.  She calls me at least once a year with a question on something or other.  This year it was the ACA.  She is quite elderly and is doing a fantastic job as far as I can tell.  She wants to keep her foot in the door because she, herself, has some rental properties. 

• Like 1

I also know a preparer who still does them with pencil and paper.  She calls me at least once a year with a question on something or other.  This year it was the ACA.  She is quite elderly and is doing a fantastic job as far as I can tell.  She wants to keep her foot in the door because she, herself, has some rental properties. 

All my elderly clients provide me with detailed lists of medical and charitable payments, neatly listed and totaled by hand without calculators. There is never a mistake.

• Like 2

New client this year; retired pastor and 94 years old.  You would not believe how organized the paperwork was.  His wife is in her 80s.  His biggest worry was that I would not remember about the housing deduction for the retired pastor from his ministerial retirement plan.  Lots of investments; lots of interest and dividends.  What a joy to work with.  In the end they don't owe a penny.  Wow!  Hope he sticks around for a few more. :wub:

• Like 4

I had an older couple as clients for years.  First time they came to me (in response to an IRS letter; as I recall, the IRS turned out to be wrong...) he had calculated their estimated tax payments (by hand) to within $16 of their actual final tax bill.  They are both gone now but I remember them fondly.

• Like 2

You're probably not going to find any professional tax software that runs on a tablet, outside of tablets that run a real version of Windows.

Personally, I can't imagine trying to be productive on any machine that doesn't have a good keyboard.  Shallow key-travel drives me nuts, so even a lot of laptops I find pretty horrible to use for long periods.  Tablets are definitely geared more toward consumption of information/media.

I will be getting a Surface Pro 3 next month and I will be running everything on it. I would consider that a tablet.

Yeah, but it really blurs the line quite a bit.  That's probably the most computer-like tablet you can buy.

• Like 6

You're probably not going to find any professional tax software that runs on a tablet, outside of tablets that run a real version of Windows.

Personally, I can't imagine trying to be productive on any machine that doesn't have a good keyboard.  Shallow key-travel drives me nuts, so even a lot of laptops I find pretty horrible to use for long periods.  Tablets are definitely geared more toward consumption of information/media.

Yeah, but it really blurs the line quite a bit.  That's probably the most computer-like tablet you can buy.

Actually, the Surface Pro 3 is more a tablet-like computer.