ATX Community

ATX IRA Worksheet

Randall

My IRA worksheet is showing box checked for participating in an employer plan.  I can uncheck it but I'm wondering why it defaulted that way.  Client receiving Govt pension, both spouses receiving some RR SocSec equivalent.  Client has a Sch C consulting business with high profit.  Both ages under 70.  I'm wondering if the box is checked because it's rolled over that way from several years back when client was still working govt job and was an active participant.  I think I just need to uncheck the box but was curious why this box was checked in the first place.  Maybe the program knows something I don't.

Now I'm looking at SEP for client.  If he contributes to SEP, he's an active participant and can't make the IRA contribution.  But ATX is showing spouse also as an active participant.  I'm wondering why he can't contribute to a SEP and she contribute to her traditional IRA based on his earnings.