ATX Community

Can we print "E-Filed" in lieu of signature?

GLJEANNE

Is there a checkbox somewhere that allows for printing "E-Filed" on the client's signature line of 1040s and state returns, or do we have to do it manually on every return? 

I've always used the old IRS e-file stickers, but my stash of those finally ran out.  I don't like sending clients returns with those lines blank, I prefer to "idiot-proof" them to make it very clear that it's been e-filed. 

Are you talking about the hard copy of the client returns that you send them?  If so, you can use the watermark feature on the client copy.  I have "Client Copy" on my watermark but you could use "E-Filed" if you wanted to.  It won't go on the signature line, but it takes up a big part of the page.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 1

I like KC's idea if you do want to override the field.  If you are at 100% e-file, you could always change the master form to include that, if ATX allows modification of that field.   The software I use prints the 5-digit pin in the signature space of the client's copy, but that would require more effort to coordinate that.

• Like 1

You could print your own custom labels using Excel and a set of blanks form Office Depot/Staples, etc.

That way you could make it more personal, such as:

"This Return has been E-Flung:

Don't even THINK about signing this form or mailing it in !"

(Or something along those lines)

• Like 5

I have a cheap stamp that says Copy that I use to fill up the signature line when I don't want the client signing.  (My elderly lady who forgets we filed her return and tries to take apart her folder to mail the returns.)

We all have at least one of those, don't we?   :P   I used s bright red FILE COPY stamp, found in any office supply store. 

LOL, I like John's idea!  Yes, I use the Client Copy stamp too, but if those signature lines are blank it just seems to invite trouble....  I only wish I'd thought about this a month ago, when I put in an order for a bunch of stamps.  But ain't that always the way it goes?!