ATX Community

Clients should not leave me....this is why

BulldogTom

Long time client.  Has a rental, royalties, detailed schedule A, 2106 etc.  Because they are friends, we always gave them a discount.  Last year, their son talked them into going to Liberty so he could get a $50 referral payment.  They also got a very heavily discounted return.  Like only $17.  But the bill would have been over $550 without the discount.

So this year they want to come back.  Sure, send me over your 2013 return.  Roll the return from my software and put in the numbers from last year so I can roll the return again.  Guess what, they don't match up?  Why?  Well, the rental has NO DEPRECIATION on the 2013 return.  I keep looking at the schedule E and I don't see the depreciation.  So that $17 return that got your son $50 cost you $1400 in Federal and State Taxes paid in 2013.

Now I get to do the amended and the 2014.

I bet they never leave again.  And there will not be a discount this year.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 18

What I hate is when the preacher's wife does it for free so the little gal can save on my ridiculous $105 fee, and the preacher's wife reduces the penalty on IRA withdrawal by the total amount of medical expenses, and the amount that exceeds the threshold is exactly zero. And you tell her she owes $208 in tax and the preacher's wife says you do not and the flying monkeys are like ok, sorry, Sister TaxProWannaBe knows better than me, get outta here, you and your little dog, too.

• Like 8

I had a client leave me because I didn't get their return done before 4/15 last year and they owed some penalties. I paid the penalties even though they still said they were leaving. They hated the preparer they met with last summer so much, they decided to come back to me. I showed them a little extra love and attention this year.

• Like 2

Client returned to us this year. Two years ago they had a NOL which we filed the election to carry forward. Last year they went to one of the box stores (won't mention any names but you might think of them if you think of a famous landmark in NYC) due to a promotion to get a discount on their tax prep fee. Guess what the box store preparer left off their return (among other mistakes)?  You get what you pay for.

Edited by HV Ken
  • Like 3

Just finished the amended.  My spouse talked to them and gave them a discount on the amended.  GRRRRRRRRRRRR.  I don't even have a stapler that will go through the CA amended because the documentation is so much.

But they will pay full price for the 2014 return.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 1