ATX Community

T/P got letter asking for .....

mrichman333

I have a T/P that got a letter from NJ regarding their NJ EIC.  The letter ask them to send copies of birth certificates, SS cards W-2 Stubs, and some other things.  Sound VERY strange to me.  I gave her the main number to NJ division of taxation but she has not been able to get through, the recording say because of high volume to please call back.

I have no idea if this is some new scam -- but at least you could check the address to send to and see if it is a known NJ taxation dept address.  If it is, it's far more likely to be legit.  But I would recommend to any of my clients to hold off sending unless/until they can confirm with the state.  

My two cents' worth, ymmv.

• Like 2

Ohio has been cracking down on identity theft and has been sending out letters for some taxpayers to prove their identity.  If they fail a telephone or online 4 questions quiz (and it seems some questions are bizarre), they then are required to submit various documents to prove identity and receive their refunds.  The documents are only if they fail the tests.  I've had just 2 clients, one was my son, to get this notice.  Perhaps NJ is doing something similar.