ATX Community

18 year old needing to show proof of no income

Tax Prep by Deb

Oh jeezel luizel do NOT get me started.  I am SO sick of the KSC entrenched bureaucratic incompetence!!  Thank heavens Gwen is graduating next month as I have just about HAD it with them.  

My son would be graduating next month as well if not for the incompetence of the "entrenched bureaucratic incompetence" at San Jose State.  He has to return for 2 classes, NINE UNITS, that he could have completed if those idiots would have just read his transcript correctly.

It is costing him a year of his career. 

I hate San Jose State administration.  They think the university was created for them instead of the students.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 4

Interesting article excerpted from The New York Times in The Week about where college tuition money is going and why colleges need to raise tuition so much points to the increase in the number of administrators.  From 1993 to 2009, the number of administrators at colleges increased by 60 per cent.  At California Polytechnic University, the total number of administrators grew from 3,800 to 12,183 over three decades - a 221 per cent increase.  The article does not mention how much other areas grew - student body, number of professors, etc.  The article also points out that some administrators are making six- and even seven- figure salaries now.  From the attitude expressed towards those administrators in your posts, you are not getting your money's worth. 

• Like 1

I have two in college, and it's rough, BECAUSE OF FINANCIAL AID. When money is being handed out left and right, tuition increases. What do we get for our increased tuition? ADMINISTRATORS.

Oh, and my health insurance - the premiums are always paid, my medical bills are always paid. It's not good enough now, and I had to get a better policy yesterday, with a HIGHER deductible for $161 MORE a month. There's two examples of what happens when the government helps.

• Like 6

Whenever government intervention in the marketplace is contemplated, we should always remember that the most efficient government entity is the military.  Relatively speaking, it produces more tangible results per dollar spent than any other bureaucracy.  That should tell us all we need to know.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 2

Oh jeezel luizel do NOT get me started.  I am SO sick of the KSC entrenched bureaucratic incompetence!!  Thank heavens Gwen is graduating next month as I have just about HAD it with them.  

Learning to navigate a bureaucracy is one of the most important things you'll do in college.  You'll use that skill for the rest of your life.

I mean, you're tax prepares, it pretty much defines your profession!

• Like 4

Eric is right. Fresh out of high school, I first learned to navigate bureaucracy during 4 years in the U.S. Air Force. Then came college. The bureaucratic challenges were different with college, but the basic territory was very familiar.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 2

Learning to navigate a bureaucracy is one of the most important things you'll do in college.  You'll use that skill for the rest of your life.

I mean, you're tax prepares, it pretty much defines your profession!

There is a difference between being able to *navigate* and being able to *tolerate* institutionalized idiocy mixed with incompetence.  I have NO patience for that kind of crap; there are far too many important things I should spend my time on.

• Like 2

Speaking of how bureaucracies work, here is a prime example.  It's the old "Sell the Fire Engine" ploy.  When townspeople revolt against property taxes, the local politicians start crying that fire or police services will have to be cut.  They insist there's absolutely no savings to be found in the bloated budgets for city hall, even though the mayor and half the city council have multiple family members on the payroll.  Gotta make it painful for the public in order to get revenge and wear the taxpayers down until they extract more taxes. 

Same issue here with the IRS.  Congress cuts their funding, so there's nothing to do but inconvenience the taxpayers so they will in turn complain to their Senators and Congresspersons. I'm sure there is absolutely nowhere else the IRS could save any money other than their front-facing segment.   Put 'em on hold and make them wait, or just don't answer the phone at all. But it's full steam ahead on bonuses, union activities, and other "essential" expenditures.   I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the hearings, although I'm sure that game is rigged as well.  http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/report-irs-deliberately-cut-its-own-customer-service-budget_927141.html

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 4