ATX Community

Ring Around the CP notice

Catherine

I keep getting CP148A notices for "changed your mailing address" both TO and FROM each of my new and old business addresses.  Has anyone else seen these?  It's like the IRS can't get its teeny tiny head around an office move.  Every week or three, for the last several months, I get a set of these.  They keep switching my official-with-them address back and forth between my home office and current office addresses.  

Now in some ways I don't care as both addresses are good and mail sent to either gets to me.  I just can't understand the constant see-sawing.  Of course, if I try to call, there is the endless time on hold before they hang up on you.

Should I care?  Or just keep sticking these in the file folder I've been using since last October when I got the first set of letters?

Client faxed over a CB148B yesterday, no one has requested a change of business address, but I did notice the street name was missing some letters, maybe it was a computer glitch????  I just prepared a 8822-B using what the IRS has on file now as the old mailing address, and used the complete spelling on new address.

JM, that is scary.  At first I thought these posts were only showing the incompetence at the USPS.  I have an elderly relative who moved recently and we filed the standard change of address with the post office. The notice they sent (usually to old and new addresses) was only delivered to the old address because someone must have gotten tired of typing and the new address field was blank.  So he changed his address from the old home to.....no where!  It took three trips to the post office to find the right person on duty to fix, but now he gets his mail with the little yellow stickers showing the new address.

It is my understanding that when a taxpayer files a return with a new address (particularly one with a refund), the IRS checks with the USPS change of address data base.  Good luck with that, if my experience with the local post office is any indication.  But to realize that jerks are requesting changes willy nilly smacks of some form of terrorism.  This can really throw billers, payers, banks, the gov't into a whirlpool of a mess, not to mention the unsuspecting victims.

• Like 3

We have had about a dozen clients get these - and in some cases client's have received multiples, like Catherine's scenario.  I determined that we must have been making changes on returns without recognizing it and the IRS's system picked it up as an address change.  For example, we may have put 123 Main St., 123 Main St, 123 Main Street, or123 Main Str for various filings we have done for the client and each of those would have triggered a change of address.  Notice - the only difference between the first and second is the "." after St - we actually received a change of address for that.  Your tax dollars - hard at work.

• Like 1

We have had about a dozen clients get these - and in some cases client's have received multiples, like Catherine's scenario.  I determined that we must have been making changes on returns without recognizing it and the IRS's system picked it up as an address change.  For example, we may have put 123 Main St., 123 Main St, 123 Main Street, or123 Main Str for various filings we have done for the client and each of those would have triggered a change of address.  Notice - the only difference between the first and second is the "." after St - we actually received a change of address for that.  Your tax dollars - hard at work.

​I like to say, "your tax dollars at play" because most of the time it sure doesn't seem like they are *working*! 

^_^

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's an input error.

I live on NNNN Massachusetts Avenue NW Apartment A343C. When I first moved, I was using a combinations of abbreviations  and complete address until some mail was not delivered because it didn't fit on one line and my apt number was truncated. Ever since, I use NNNN Mass Ave NW A343C and when vendors ask me if they should spell out Massachusetts, I say "please don't."

Unless you expect the IRS to have computers with artificial intelligence, you should not use a different combination. That's why I love repeating clients which I roll over and the address goes exactly as last year or last report.

That's an input error.

I live on NNNN Massachusetts Avenue NW Apartment A343C. When I first moved, I was using a combinations of abbreviations  and complete address until some mail was not delivered because it didn't fit on one line and my apt number was truncated. Ever since, I use NNNN Mass Ave NW A343C and when vendors ask me if they should spell out Massachusetts, I say "please don't."

Unless you expect the IRS to have computers with artificial intelligence, you should not use a different combination. That's why I love repeating clients which I roll over and the address goes exactly as last year or last report.

That's nice if we live in a perfect world.  I do not think anyone expects the IRS to have computers with AI, but having a little bit of acceptable error in the program might work for some of us that do not just do tax returns that roll over the address.  I can count as many as 48 different instances where we communicate with different governmental offices during the course of a year on our clients behalf - and through as many as 10 different software applications.  Yes, in a perfect world, we would have a system to cross check all of those addresses - but we do not live in a perfect world. 

That's nice if we live in a perfect world.  I do not think anyone expects the IRS to have computers with AI, but having a little bit of acceptable error in the program might work for some of us that do not just do tax returns that roll over the address.  I can count as many as 48 different instances where we communicate with different governmental offices during the course of a year on our clients behalf - and through as many as 10 different software applications.  Yes, in a perfect world, we would have a system to cross check all of those addresses - but we do not live in a perfect world. 

If you follow the USPS recommend address protocols for ALL instances of using addresses, they will all be the same.  I was taught proper address protocol in High School.  Although USPS has changed some of them slightly, the basic rules are still the same.  This is NOT rocket science.

With us, as professionals, dealing with important and personal financial situations for our clients, I believe that knowing the proper protocols for addresses would be something that a professional should know, keep updated on, and utilize at all times.  This is NOT rocket science.

Working at the firm for 11 tax seasons, (over 30,000 returns) and at my private practice for 18 years (over 2,000 returns) we have collectively seen 3-4 instances of CP148A.

Rant Over.

Edited by Jack from Ohio
  • Like 1

If you follow the USPS recommend address protocols for ALL instances of using addresses, they will all be the same.  I was taught proper address protocol in High School.  Although USPS has changed some of them slightly, the basic rules are still the same.  This is NOT rocket science.

With us, as professionals, dealing with important and personal financial situations for our clients, I believe that knowing the proper protocols for addresses would be something that a professional should know, keep updated on, and utilize at all times.  This is NOT rocket science.

Working at the firm for 11 tax seasons, (over 30,000 returns) and at my private practice for 18 years (over 2,000 returns) we have collectively seen 3-4 instances of CP148A.

Rant Over.

Really?  I don't believe we are talking about proper mailing protocol.  My clients have received those notices simply because an apostrophe is where one used to not be or is not where one used to be.  What does the postal addressing standards have to say about this?  For example, rfassetts cpa firm vs. rfassett's cpa firm.  And as I previously alluded.  It is easier to control those things when you are just dealing with rolled over tax returns.  Throw in an eftps and a quarterly payroll report and an annual payroll report, none of which "roll over" from the tax return and there is opportunity for a change of address notice when no address has changed.  I do not even want to calculate how many tax returns I and the firms I have worked for over the years have done over the last 31 years I have been practicing.  Not sure why that is important.

Really?  I don't believe we are talking about proper mailing protocol.  My clients have received those notices simply because an apostrophe is where one used to not be or is not where one used to be.  What does the postal addressing standards have to say about this?  For example, rfassetts cpa firm vs. rfassett's cpa firm.  And as I previously alluded.  It is easier to control those things when you are just dealing with rolled over tax returns.  Throw in an eftps and a quarterly payroll report and an annual payroll report, none of which "roll over" from the tax return and there is opportunity for a change of address notice when no address has changed.  I do not even want to calculate how many tax returns I and the firms I have worked for over the years have done over the last 31 years I have been practicing.  Not sure why that is important.

Apparently you are not up to speed on USPS protocols.  No punctuation at all. Problem solved.  On tax forms, there should be no punctuation other than a hyphen in a hyphenated name.  NO PUNCTUATION and use approved abbreviations.  Again, problem solved.  All will be the same if protocols are followed.

The only problem I see here is that (in an effort to control fraud), the IRS programmed their computers to do a strict address match from that of record. So, any discrepancy triggered a letter. Why we don't see this on regular 1040s? Because the computers are programmed to do nothing if they see a change of address. So if I file my taxes with St, Str, Street, it takes my last combination as my current address and it keeps quiet.

When I see my credit report it says:

Addresses you have used:
123 Main Street
123 Main Street.
123 Main St
123 Main St.
123 Main Str
123 Main Str.
and they give me all the addresses I have used. For the computer, each address is different and if that computer (trying to avoid fraud) is programmed to send me a letter stating "You changed your address", I will get a letter each time I move from one combination to the other even if they are already in record.  In a prefect world, or for the human eye, all those addresses are the same.

My credit report also has my employers as:
Chipotle
Chipotle corp
Chipotle Corporation
Chipotle, Inc
Chipotle Inc
Chipotle company and
sipote

My point is that we need to start working a little hard and standardize our company, address and names when we fill out any forms.

The only problem I see here is that (in an effort to control fraud), the IRS programmed their computers to do a strict address match from that of record. So, any discrepancy triggered a letter. Why we don't see this on regular 1040s? Because the computers are programmed to do nothing if they see a change of address. So if I file my taxes with St, Str, Street, it takes my last combination as my current address and it keeps quiet.

When I see my credit report it says:

Addresses you have used:
123 Main Street
123 Main Street.
123 Main St
123 Main St.
123 Main Str
123 Main Str.
and they give me all the addresses I have used. For the computer, each address is different and if that computer (trying to avoid fraud) is programmed to send me a letter stating "You changed your address", I will get a letter each time I move from one combination to the other even if they are already in record.  In a prefect world, or for the human eye, all those addresses are the same.

My credit report also has my employers as:
Chipotle
Chipotle corp
Chipotle Corporation
Chipotle, Inc
Chipotle Inc
Chipotle company and
sipote

My point is that we need to start working a little hard and standardize our company, address and names when we fill out any forms.

There is only one of those addresses that is proper per USPS.  USPS protocols are only for the ADDRESS. 

When I enter a corporate name, I use the official corporate name.  No more, no less, no confusion, and easy standard to comply with. 

But again, resistance to proper protocols is strong.  No one wants to take the time to think.

I agree that we need to strictly follow protocols from now on.

I wonder if the change of address letter is sent to the old address or the new address. It should be sent to both and maybe that's why people a receiving more that one with a single event.

So, I file with these two addresses:

Year 1: 4215 L Street
Year 2: 6545 Ogden Street

In an effort to combat identity theft, the IRS should send a letter to both addresses. If they send it only to the new address and I have been a victim, I will never get that notification.

On the other hand if I don't follow protocols and I assume that computers should be smarter than the person at the IRS (because I am definitely that smart if I don't follow protocol) and use:

Year 1: 4215 L Street
Year 2: 4215 L Str

I will get two letters and me being not that bright, I will say, Why the IRS is not smart enough and sent me tow identical letters.

As you know, Federal employees are forbidden to make any changes on the forms they receive (Even if they know the information is incorrect) and they are supposed to keep every piece of paper they receive.

Can't lay my hands on the article, though.

Well.... if you saw it on line, you will never be able to lay your hands on it. (sorry, couldn't resist)

NATP sent an article about that this week but I only glanced at the title.

Edited by Pacun