ATX Community

GOVERNEMENT NONSECURITY

Lee B

WASHINGTON (AP) — A CIA-backed technology company has found logins and passwords for 47 government agencies strewn across the Web — available for hackers, spies and thieves.

Recorded Future, a social media data mining firm backed by the CIA's venture capital arm, says in a report that login credentials for nearly every federal agency have been posted on open Internet sites for those who know where to look.

According to the company, at least 12 agencies don't require authentication beyond passwords to access their networks, so those agencies are vulnerable to espionage and cyberattacks.

The company says logins and passwords were found connected with the departments of Defense, Justice, Treasury and Energy, as well as the CIA and the Director of National Intelligence.

Shocking, just shocking  :blink:

• Like 2

Can you imagine a tax professional who is still using computers and software purchased in the 90's?  Much less the 80's or 70's?  

I would rather use pencil and paper (and erasers) - or an abacus - than software from the 70's.  

Unless it was DOS.  I *liked* DOS and could make it dance in circles.

• Like 3

Can you imagine a tax professional who is still using computers and software purchased in the 90's?  Much less the 80's or 70's?  

I see a much bigger threat to those tax offices that do not have on staff someone who is current with modern proper system security. This is an absolute necessity, especially if you have an internet presence.  Like it or not, all offices need a Geek, either as a tax preparer as well, or just an I.T. professional. 

I grow weary of hearing:  "I am old school and I am not changing" as if it is a badge of honor.  Actually, it indicates a lack of initiative to be the best at what we do, and embracing the changes that are happening almost weekly in our profession.

Those "Old School" people can ride in the back of the bus while I, and others who are upwardly mobile, are driving the bus.  Very soon, those in the back will not be able to even ride the bus and will be outside watching.

<<<Rant Over>>>

Edited by Jack from Ohio

I'm getting off the bus in a couple of years, so I'm still content to be riding in the back for now. It's reassuring to know that all our data is safely in the hands of several government agencies doing their utmost to protect our privacy.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep submitting those hardship exemptions so I can continue paper filing. 

If anyone gets my clients' data, they are just going to have to steal it from the government.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 1