ATX Community

1099 - MISC BOX 6 - questions

taxbrewster

Hi everyone, I have a doctor who loves to file on Oct 15, but got his stuff to me early.
Usually pretty easy return - cut and dry. This year along with his large w2 - gave me 3 different1099s with numbers in box 6. With no explanation - I am currently trying to follow up with him but impossible to get a hold of....and of course gave me the standard nothing changed this year in the package he sent along with his organizer.

#1 - 1099 with income in box 6 - his name his SS#

#2 - 1099 with income in box 6 - his name / his office's EIN

#3 - 1099 with income in box 6 - him name / his SS# but then in the recipient field - "1099 Purposes only" with all his info.

Are these just for reporting purposes by the health care companies OR are all these taxable? I am not aware of him doing any side work...

How are these reported?? Have not come across this before.

Thanks!!

As Max W said, the key is "unless they are already included."  Figuring *that* out will be the trick.  #2 sounds suspicious for belonging to his practice rather than to him (depending on structure those could be the same for tax purposes, of course).  #3, regardless of the "1099 purposes only" verbiage (which just sounds stupid; what else is a 1099 FOR if not 1099 "purposes" I mean really), is still income unless a duplicate of other reported income.  Report all income, if double-counted put in an offset somewhere.  Adjustment to gross receipts or, if you have more room for notes there, an "adjustment for double-reported income" expense line.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. It looks like he takes the income on 2 of the 3 after speaking with him. The other 2 were separate gigs - flu shots for an offsite job. #2 was in fact something that his office did in fact include in his w2 earnings, so I am just going to back that one out. Thank you for the comments and answers!

• Like 2