ATX Community

A microsoft fan describes his frustration with Windows 10

Abby Normal

Interesting.  Sounds like he liked 8 and 8.1 a lot.  Maybe MS overreacted to the 'I hate W8' crowd.  Or maybe they're cursed for skipping the number 9.  Ha.  I have a fairly new 8.1 system.  Normally I don't upgrade an existing system so I wasn't going to upgrade.  I'll wait to when I need a  new system and see if W11 or W12 is out by then.  Ha.

1 hour ago, Randall said:

Interesting.  Sounds like he liked 8 and 8.1 a lot.  Maybe MS overreacted to the 'I hate W8' crowd.  Or maybe they're cursed for skipping the number 9.  Ha.  I have a fairly new 8.1 system.  Normally I don't upgrade an existing system so I wasn't going to upgrade.  I'll wait to when I need a  new system and see if W11 or W12 is out by then.  Ha.

EXACTLY! I love 8/8.1. It remains my favorite windows OS ever. People were upset because their menu was gone, when in fact it was just a different looking menu, which I actually preferred. But whenever I go back to work on a win7 machine, I cringe at how hard things are to accomplish, how awful the UI is, and how often things simply don't work that well.

"Why is Microsoft pushing it so hard and giving it away? "

Diabetic test meters are fairly cheap.  The test strips they use are not.  Maybe Microsoft has something up their sleeve that is going to cost us after we get hooked.  Windows 10 updates are now mandatory.  I wonder if they are pushing us toward the cloud and once we get there, they have got us and it will be expensive.  Just wondering.

• Like 4

I wonder if the whole industry isn't reaching a point of diminishing returns.  They must continue to think of ways to keep their profits coming in.  MS, Apple, and all the established companies.  Then there are all these tech startups (unicorns they're called) with apps that seem goofy and most aren't even profitable.

7 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Oh I do not wonder AT ALL, Jack.  Nor do you wonder why I delay upgrading until the bitter end (I upgraded to W7 less than a month before support for XP was to end).

But many less computer-knowledgeable people on here choose to blunder ahead...  Lately, I have been earning some decent money "restoring" WIN10 to WIN7.  I only smile and nod when the person complains about how much has been lost in the transitions.  They still write me the check. 

Those that I have counseled not to upgrade pay more for the retrograde. 

Sometimes I get paid for what I know, not what I do.

Everyone would be wise to heed the advice about NOT UPGRADING or buying a machine with WIN10 on it.  A word to the wise is sufficient. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lion EA said:

So, if I buy a new Surface that's bundled with 10, will I be OK?  Not for taxes or even that much for work, lightweight to take to biz clients for QB and Excel or to travel with for email.

Don't know what to tell you.  That is why I got my Surface while it was still bundled with 8.1 and that was enough of a learning curve as I have 7 Pro on all of my work computers.  However, Surface is not for tax prep and I have learned to love it.  It, too, is hounding me to update to 10.

Yeah, my work desktop and work laptop -- very powerful but very heavy laptop -- are 7 Pro.  A Surface would be for a lighter weight computer when I need QB and Excel at a biz client's site or to travel with instead of just my iPhone for email and a little research.  (Was just at my kids/granddaughter's out of state when a church member passed away, so my music director hubby and I as liturgical assistant were putting the funeral together long distance with our part-time priest and part-time church secretary at home with their young kids on school vacation.  Would've liked a bigger keyboard than my iPhone.  Hubby had his iPad Air.)  So, I can learn 10 gradually and be ready when I next upgrade work computers or am forced to update OS to 10.  But, it's definitely 7 through this tax season for tax purposes.  Maybe I'll order a Surface...

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎06‎:‎50‎, Lion EA said:

Yeah, my work desktop and work laptop -- very powerful but very heavy laptop -- are 7 Pro.  A Surface would be for a lighter weight computer when I need QB and Excel at a biz client's site or to travel with instead of just my iPhone for email and a little research.  (Was just at my kids/granddaughter's out of state when a church member passed away, so my music director hubby and I as liturgical assistant were putting the funeral together long distance with our part-time priest and part-time church secretary at home with their young kids on school vacation.  Would've liked a bigger keyboard than my iPhone.  Hubby had his iPad Air.)  So, I can learn 10 gradually and be ready when I next upgrade work computers or am forced to update OS to 10.  But, it's definitely 7 through this tax season for tax purposes.  Maybe I'll order a Surface...

The Surface Pro 3 was definitely a learning curve for me, but once I "got" it, I was off and running.  I had never dealt with Win 8 or 8.1 prior to that.  I absolutely love it, particularly for traveling.  My personal advice is that if you are going to indulge yourself with something that expensive, go the extra mile and get the keyboard.  Have someone (I used my Grandson) come in and show you the basics of getting around in Win 10 and it will get to feel like home and I have no issues switching back and forth to 7.  The Surface was a "something for me" purchase and just having it gives me the warm fuzzies.  The size is perfect for moving around.  Both of my laptops are 17" and would never think of using them on my lap.  Good luck whichever way you decide.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

I had never dealt with Win 8 or 8.1 prior to that.  I absolutely love it

My opinion is that anyone who says the HATE 8, has not spent a month working with it. It's far superior to 7, but not so different that you can't switch back and forth. If you're a heavy menu user (I'm not), then install an add-on menu.

I just have my main programs pinned to my taskbar and usually start them with WinKey+#, where # is the number of the icon (1,2,...). Secondary programs are in the Quick Launch toolbar (Yes, it's still there. Let me know if you can't find how to add it to your taskbar.) Any my desktop is still covered with well organized icons.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

My opinion is that anyone who says the HATE 8, has not spent a month working with it. It's far superior to 7, but not so different that you can't switch back and forth. If you're a heavy menu user (I'm not), then install an add-on menu.

I just have my main programs pinned to my taskbar and usually start them with WinKey+#, where # is the number of the icon (1,2,...). Secondary programs are in the Quick Launch toolbar (Yes, it's still there. Let me know if you can't find how to add it to your taskbar.) Any my desktop is still covered with well organized icons.

What I actually meant was that I absolutely love the Surface.  However, I have no issues with 8.1 either.  I just would not update any of my work computers from Win 7 Pro. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lion EA said:

That sounds like me, Marilyn.  And, thanx for the article, KC.  I've been reading reviews from CNET and other sources.

Yes, I've read those, but put more trust in a review from "our" POV.  So that Accounting Today article  really made me more interested.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gail in Virginia said:

I am a big believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  All of our work computers are on Win 7 and it works.  I ain't messing with it.  Especially right before tax season!

I would not change existing computers, either.  But if getting a new one, best to go with the 10 I think.   

• Like 3

23 hours ago, mcb39 said:

What I actually meant was that I absolutely love the Surface.  However, I have no issues with 8.1 either.  I just would not update any of my work computers from Win 7 Pro. 

I only went with 8 because I was getting new computers and I was on XP. I don't think I've ever updated an OS on an existing computer. Strongly in the 'ain't broke, don't fix it' club.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I only went with 8 because I was getting new computers and I was on XP. I don't think I've ever updated an OS on an existing computer. Strongly in the 'ain't broke, don't fix it' club.

Same here on updating OS on an existing computer.  I did it once way back going from W95 to W98.  I just think there are too many things going on unknown in the background. Not to mention the older hardware being used. 

• Like 1

Eric, That is perfect!!  I contacted MS and told them to give me an option to click on to NEVER, EVER see this reminder again.  I have Win 10 on one of my laptops, but I told them I will never install it on my main business computer.  The local computer store is backlogged removing Windows 10 and restoring their customer's previous operating system.

• Like 3